Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E71 Xenons and driving in Europe

General car related chat
sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

E71 Xenons and driving in Europe

Post by sapphireblack » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:47 am

IIRC the old E53 with Xenons had a flip lever inside the body of the headlamp to facilitate driving in the EU.

Does the E71 have the same or are they 'flat beams' or whatever they're called that don't need adjustment or correction?

Apologies if it's a stupid question, i don't have easy access to the car currently and Google hasn't been helpful :(

(The car has adaptive headlights)

marti

Re: E71 Xenons and driving in Europe

Post by marti » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:18 am

You are correct no need to do anything.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:20 am

Euro pattern lights, nothing to adjust. However if you have adaptive lights then don’t use the ‘auto lights’ function as going round a left hand bend will blind incoming drivers. UK car lights have more left swing.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:24 am

I hoped and thought so, good news :)

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:29 am

X5Sport wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:20 am Euro pattern lights, nothing to adjust. However if you have adaptive lights then don’t use the ‘auto lights’ function as going round a left hand bend will blind incoming drivers. UK car lights have more left swing.

I've not driven this car since January :o please remind me.... car is always on auto lights, are you saying that needs to just be off, and lights switched on manually when required? Cornering/fog lamps are centre set like the dipped beams or still UK biased?

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:33 pm

Correct. No change to any beam patterns and manual on/off for using the headlights. Fog/Cornering lights don’t have a pattern height to worry about. All the fog lights I have ever had are centre biased.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:13 pm

Manual lights it is then.

Questions are based around the possibility of taking the X6 to Greece now, not the specifically bought for purpose Touareg :roll: :x

New post brexit rules have come to my attention though, meaning the older Touareg may not be welcome in Greece after all. I have discovered the road tax equivalent for the X6 in Greece is over £800 pa :o

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:23 pm

Ouch!

Emissions issue with the Touareg?

marti

Post by marti » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:34 pm

sapphireblack wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:13 pm Manual lights it is then.

Questions are based around the possibility of taking the X6 to Greece now, not the specifically bought for purpose Touareg :roll: :x

New post brexit rules have come to my attention though, meaning the older Touareg may not be welcome in Greece after all. I have discovered the road tax equivalent for the X6 in Greece is over £800 pa :o
Thats not too bad....took my 735i to Belgium for 2yrs as living there, glad I kept it on GB plates or would have been 2100euro's , if I'd have registered there...that was 14yrs ago...may have changed??/...doubt it!

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:50 pm

Post Brexit a UK car isn't permitted on a full-time basis, its six months maximum now anyway.

If i seek and obtain Greek residency, which i need for all manner of things, i obviously have to bow to Greek rules.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:17 pm

Is it a case of needing to re-register them onto Greek plates, or an outright ban? I thought you could still take your car if going permanently, but needed to register it in whichever EU country you go to, pay their equivalent taxes and replace UK Plates with whoever’s you need (Greek in your case)? Maybe Brexit has changed all that too.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:25 pm

Conflicting info abounds tbh.

I had a quote to import the X6 of a cool €30,000.00, yes you read correctly.

Then I discovered that if attending the Embassy in London prior to departing, a UK car can still be imported tax and duty free prior to 31st Dec 2020. That said local customs operatives may still 'demand' fees of some sort. I'd need an import agent for such matters regardless.

I've been in a spin for weeks now. I love my X6 despite under using it, and it would be a great car there as it is here. But, cars are not precious on Greek islands, corner scuffs are common place as are door dinks. So i elected to buy the Touareg for this purpose, its way more off road capable, not precious and there is still a VW dealership on 'our' island. The BMW franchise still exists as a building but is no longer operational. Casualties of the Greek economic collapse are clearly evident all over the country.

I have just committed to further expensive maintenance on the old Touareg. I hope to get to our home in it mid July, get residency papers sorted, come back, visit the Greek embassy in London and get papers to import the car which will mean another visit in November. I'd leave it there over winter until we finally sell up in the UK and leave, though we'll keep a UK presence and another car.

My alternative is to forfeit all of the above and buy something like a Dacia Duster, with some serious kilometres on it, for upwards of €10,000. I will admit i voted to leave the EU based in part on BoJos hype. Wish i bloody hadn't :(