Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

help on possible sale of my X5

General car related chat
mark hamster 28

help on possible sale of my X5

Post by mark hamster 28 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:33 pm

Hi all, hope all well and safe. Unfortunately my wife has been furloughed since early April and recently was told that she being made redundant at end off this month, because off her job in the hotel business we knew it was coming but it is what it is. I was thinking about selling my Lovely X5 F15 which I've owned now almost 3 years. In September its due its MOT and the big service, which then I was thinking off putting up for sale as winter coming and fully serviced it will be ideal BUT I was talking to a trader last week who advised me to get it advertised now as car dealerships are very low on stock and used car prices are very good now.! Just looking for further advice and what you guys on here think about our X5 prices? Also its 15 Reg and done 62500 miles and has hud, pan roof and soft close doors with all the other usual stuff in white and wondered also if you could give me a rough idea off what the car is possibly worth ? Thanks in advance, Mark

sid10

Re: help on possible sale of my X5

Post by sid10 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:19 pm

Hi Mark
Dealers are all low on stock which makes it a good time to sell , I would try your local main dealer first to get an idea of worth . Their first offer is often low add a couple of k and see if they move upwards . We traded the Gran tourer last month for a 1 series they started off 2k less than what I actually sold it too them for . I actually asked if the salesman was taking the p--- , his boss rang me back and actually apologised gave me what I wanted and knocked £500 off the car which was 3k cheaper than my local main dealer .
My son has just changed his car again they started £1500 lower than what we wanted , plus saved £1500 on nearest car with the same spec .
We buy any car take the mick , Peter vardy offer a free valuation , as do Parks group .
They maybe more inclined to buy the car needing a service so I wouldnt service it before selling the car .
good luck !
sid10

mark hamster 28

Post by mark hamster 28 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:09 pm

Thanks Sid, Sytners rang me today, said they gonna get my local dealership to ring me after a quick call with there national buyer think he said he was ? Checked on my cars options and said its defiantly something they would buy.
He went through my cars spec...mineral white tick... Black leather ..tick.. hud...tick pan roof....tick soft close doors ...tick, then said only bad point was it wasn't a 7 seater ?? Is he right on this as i thought they were more expensive to insure so folk generally stayed away from these unless they really needed them ?

sid10

Post by sid10 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:53 pm

He is talking rubbish ! yes 7 seater option is nice to have ( mine has it ) but after age 11 they are pretty u/s . Try other dealers Williams , Lloyds , Marshalls , Stratstones , lookers etc . They will all get back to you just keep adding 1k on to the last offer until you are happy . You can usually find out a figure for yours by just going on bmw.co.uk put in all of the options and knock about 3.5/4 k off for dealer mark ups , if you can keep the car until the winter months you may get a bit more even another 1-2k . They normally ask about tyre treads being over 5mm but sell cars on the forecourt with 3mm .
If you are local to a couple of dealers it maybe worth visiting them just make sure it is clean , dont worry about marks or scuffed alloys they will factor that into their offer £50-75 each wheel to refurb so not worth bothering yourself .
good luck .
sid10

Wayfarer

Post by Wayfarer » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:54 pm

When I bought my x5 it had 7 seats, the dealer said this is the preferred spec, but I would have preferred the 5 seater as I will never need 7 seats!
One advantage of the 5 seater is that you can have a space saver in the spare where the extra two seats go, I’m sure if the one being sold was a 5 seater they would have told me that was the preferred spec!
As Sid suggests, have a ring round and you may well be surprised by the variation in offers received, often dependant if they have somebody looking for the car you are selling.
When I traded my Discovery 4 in, for the x5 the variation was nearly 10k across the range of offers, which is absolutely crazy, having said that the range of x5 prices were quite high as well, but I was very happy with the overall deal I managed.