Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Wheel colour choice

General car related chat
sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Wheel colour choice

Post by sapphireblack » Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:57 pm

Inbound set of rims need a refurb, the only definite is they won't be diamond cut.

Car currently has these in 'Teflon' black. The same type as the inbound set.

So, do i repeat the black theme but in gloss to match many of the cars trim features. Though hairlines just from washing marr the look over time :(

BMWs Orbit grey like these, abeit a different wheel type.

Or go mad with a colour, something that doesnt look ridiculous but at my age, colour is fun/good. I dont really care what anyone thinks now, its my life to live etc.
Last edited by sapphireblack on Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gmc15

Re: Wheel colour choice

Post by gmc15 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:12 pm

I prefer the gloss black over the grey :)

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:36 am

sapphireblack wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:57 pmdo i repeat the black theme.........
BMWs Orbit grey..........
Or go mad with a colour
As per my "paint or powdercoat" thread, which you contributed to, I'm a hater of dark-coloured wheels. I wouldn't go any darker than Orbit grey on your (Space grey??) car. In the image you posted above it looks a nice contrast.

IMO going for an "in-yer-face" colour is OK, but only if they are kept spotless. As soon as they get just a little brake dust on, they let the whole car down.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:03 am

StuBeeDoo wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:36 am
sapphireblack wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:57 pmdo i repeat the black theme.........
BMWs Orbit grey..........
Or go mad with a colour
As per my "paint or powdercoat" thread, which you contributed to, I'm a hater of dark-coloured wheels. I wouldn't go any darker than Orbit grey on your (Space grey??) car. In the image you posted above it looks a nice contrast.

IMO going for an "in-yer-face" colour is OK, but only if they are kept spotless. As soon as they get just a little brake dust on, they let the whole car down.

My problem with grey wheels is they kind of clash with a grey colour car. A contrast is needed or good old colour coding perhaps but thats a bit old hat and costs more. Orbit is BMWs darkest colour afaik, thereafter its black.

If diamond cut had longevity i would have them re-done original but even with powder coat that unpainted metal underneath is a magnet for the silver/white worm afflicting seemingly all diamond cut wheels eventually . Gloss black is the logical choice but i worry all the hairline scratches will compromise them.

Anthracite of some sort is a possibility i suppose, but like you have experienced i don't want a wrong look. TBH, I suspect theyll end up black, tho 'BMW' blue is tempting me as it has once before.
Last edited by sapphireblack on Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:00 pm

sapphireblack wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:03 amMy problem with grey wheels is they kind of clash with a grey colour car.
My E46 was Silbergrau - not a million miles from the colour of your car - and for a while I had anthracite wheels on it. I don't have the file with those images with me, but I can post them next weekend if you're interested.

Now you've mentioned it, I think you have suggested the BMW blue before. It's something I find intriguing. I kind-of wish I had remembered it before I had my winter wheels done grey.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:22 pm

Its a self inflicted problem isn't it :oops:

Theres no point in my repeating either colour so far used unless its a finish difference at the very least. The 'Teflon' satin finish looks good imo, gloss black seems popular in Germany, numerous wheel sellers offering this pattern wheel in gloss black it seems. Do i copy or strive to be different?

Matt Orbit grey has some appeal but I've never seen it on a wheel. BMW blue has definite appeal albeit it could be an expensive cock-up. Gloss black predictable but undoubtedly the safer option of my choices. That said shadow chrome was mentioned by my wife :? Probably a bit bling for me though.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:28 pm

I would guess these are an anthracite shade, not on wheels i'll likely own again tho.
Attachments
Screenshot_20200920-063920.jpg
Screenshot_20200920-063920.jpg (207.72 KiB) Viewed 1038 times