Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Newtis.info has gone - (possibly a Takedown order?)

General car related chat
X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Newtis.info has gone - (possibly a Takedown order?)

Post by X5Sport » Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:40 pm

Checked the site tonight and it has been closed down by a legal demand from BMW according to the message on the site homepage. I know it’s due to a copyright violation so defending the running of the site was always challenging but that isn’t the point. Like many I feel that I ought to be able to work on a car that I own without having to pay a main dealer ridiculously high labour rates.

The only access we now have it to BMWs officially supported copy, which is of course a pay-to-use site at $30 per 24 hours, $250 per month or $2,500 per year.

Very sad, especially for Owners as like many I have the tools and ability but now can’t see the ‘how’ instructions. We’ll just have to rely on Forum knowledge.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Sandy5454

Re: Newtis.info has gone - (possibly a Takedown order?)

Post by Sandy5454 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:54 pm

Newtis is gone, BMW seen to that.
One alternative is to use the ISTA D software for encoding your BMW, which also contains a LOT of info and diagrams for repairs. You can buy ISTA D on ebay and other sites.

Other option is use REALOEM.COM for diagrams of your BMW. Not as good as NEWTIS but better than nothing.
The USA will fight for newtis access as their consumer laws are stronger than ours and will demand NEWTIS or similar is available without BMW high prices. We can only wait and see.

marti

Post by marti » Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:55 am

You can buy TIS discs on the Bay.... however they dont cover the F series as yet

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:48 pm

Only used this a handful of times but its a ball ache to lose it.

Boils my pi$$ that giants the like of BMW want to dictate every aspect of ownership. :fuelfire: