Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Coding software recommendations?

General car related chat
StuBeeDoo

Coding software recommendations?

Post by StuBeeDoo » Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:34 pm

I thought I'd posted this query before, but I can't find it. :roll:

I'm after recommendations for laptop software for coding my F25. I already have an iCarSoft unit (it's also useable for the wife's Citroen), so it's just coding I require, not diagnostics. I want it to be able to do all coding, including VO codes.

My current laptop is running Windows 8.1 64bit.

I'll also need to be pointed in the direction of reliable online tutorial sources. I don't want to be in the same position as I was with my E46 where I totally screwed the thing and had to have it towed to a garage because I somehow f :censored: d-up getting the alarm to "chirp". :headbang:

I would happily pay an expert, but several garages I've spoken to have suddenly realised they're far too busy to code my car when I tell them what I want - even though several internet sources say it can be done fairly easily.

TIA
Stuart.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Coding software recommendations?

Post by Alan Gunn » Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:13 am

Carly will do some coding have you looked on there site to see what it can code on your car year/model .
Can't help with software sorry.

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:15 am

Alan Gunn wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:13 amCarly will do some coding have you looked on there site to see what it can code on your car year/model .
Can't help with software sorry.
Thanks, but I should have said that the likes of Carly are no good to me as I don't have a smart 'phone. Plus, AFAIK, Carly can't do the coding I'm after.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

Olliefrom83

Post by Olliefrom83 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:29 pm

I bought a cheap android device (£50) and a D-can cable and also a cheap OTG cable and run bimmergeeks protool
https://www.bimmergeeks.net/
It’s easy to use, great support and does every possible coding you can imagine. You can also change and edit the VO for the car.
Also does usual diagnostics.

I also have Carly, BimmerCode and ask ista etc on the laptop, however bimmergeeks is much quicker than getting the laptop out and getting it to work everytime

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:35 pm

Olliefrom83 wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:29 pmYou can also change and edit the VO for the car.
This is what I'm looking for! ........And the reason garages around here don't want to do it. :(

Thanks for the input. :thumbsup:

Olliefrom83

Post by Olliefrom83 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:56 pm

I have adding to the VO on mine, easy and worked perfect, once the VO was changed and written to the CAS and FRM it then will proceed to correctly code the corresponding modules for you.

It’s impressive, some videos on YouTube etc,

It’s widely used in the states, but it’s getting traction here

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:34 am

I've just the link you've posted. Ollie. Doesn't look they can do coding on an F25. :( If they did, that would have been the obvious solution.