Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Average annual mileage

General car related chat
StuBeeDoo

Average annual mileage

Post by StuBeeDoo » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:00 am

According to the RAC Foundation the average annual mileage for cars in the UK in 2019 was 7,400 - down from 9,200 in '02. Broken down into petrol and diesel, they claim 6,300 and 9,400 respectively. I was surprised at this, because I'm stuck in the '80s when the general consensus was "up to 12,000 a year".

When I bought my F25, I accepted that it was high mileage, having done 13,100/year (16,600 in each of its first 3 years!). It didn't bother me then and doesn't now - it's dropped to less than 12,100 as of today (its eighth anniversary).

To those here who buy secondhand.......... What annual mileage do you feel is acceptable when buying? .....Or are you more bothered about condition and/or spec?
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Average annual mileage

Post by X5Sport » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:12 am

I still use the 12k annual but have noticed that when we look at leasing, the best packages are now 10k or less. We really had a fight with BMW to get 13k although we wanted 15k.

Insurers seem to be assuming at 10k baseline these days too so maybe it has dropped. This year of course is a bit unusual! I’m still using the same tank of fuel in the X6 that was bought in March!
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Wayfarer

Post by Wayfarer » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:40 am

Typically in the past used 10k miles a year, depending on age but a 3 year old car with 50 or 60k miles and full history wouldn't be an issue.
I also consider spec, condition, service history, perceived reliability and if older cost of any potential big repairs.

Although I am now retired so found a pre reg x5 (f15) with 18 miles on the clock (and that was after we had test driven it) right spec apart from lack of tow bar, which we got dealer to fit, which was expensive but works well) hoping to keep it for many years so hopefully won't be looking for another car for a good while.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:34 am

My rule of thumb for reasons i don't even recall now is 10-12k pa when looking to buy. Spec is highly relevant too of course and history.

My current car, (X6) is a 2009 reg and had just 27k on it when purchased and 34k now, so i have only added 7k in two years. It literally hasnt moved since Feb/Mar, thougn I've run the motor as well as keeping it on the CTEK. At my age, i dont anticipate it ever being replaced tbh, I've no desire to either.

Once Covid 19 is properly dealt with i will need to reassess a number of things, which includes vehicles amongst others.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:22 am

It's possibly being dragged down by far more cars per household now than 20 years ago so a lot of the cars are occasional use rather than daily drivers.
There are certainly more cars on the road now than back in 2002, roads far more congested so no way the total miles are down.
Lies and statistics I'd say, for the record I do about 7k a year now, the days of 25 to 30k a year are long gone thankfully ( I hope).
Bought my x5 with 128k and at the time virtually all the ones over here in Norn Iron were all around the same for 9 year old ones anything lower was generally very expensive or in a bad colour. Most of our cars are brought in from England with high miles especially luxury cars as few are sold here new and usually bad spec.Dealers pick higher milers as they are cheaper.