Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

X5 Dpf

General car related chat
Jezza

X5 Dpf

Post by Jezza » Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:17 pm

In October 2020 I had regen on my x5 Dpf which didn't work I had a new Dpf sensor fitted which also didn't work so i bit the bullet and had a new DPF fitted , so after spending the best part of over £3'000. My Dpf has decided to fault again , can anybody give any ideas please as the mechanic who repaired it is scratching his head??

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: X5 Dpf

Post by X5Sport » Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:53 pm

Are your glow plugs & controller all actually working properly? The engine needs all 6 running to provide the much higher temps needed for a regen. If they don’t work properly then there will be no regen cycle. You also need to run for at least 20 mins after the car has fully warmed up, and at speeds above 40mph or 2,000 rpm. If not doing those runs then again the regen won’t run and everything clogs.

If it isn’t that then look at the thermostats. If they aren’t allowing the engine to fully warm up then the same thing happens. No regen.

The easiest way to know if a regen is happening is that if you hear the electric fan running at full tilt when you stop, a regen is in progress. The fan runs to stop the car catching fire! Yes it’s that hot.

It would be worth checking the diagnostics to see what is being recorded.

Oh, and :hi:
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:19 pm

Hi and welcome :D

I think personally dpf's rarely wear out as such they certainly become less effective as the miles get high but if all else is working correctly shouldn't really block. In winter getting up to temp is a much bigger problem and add in lockdown and much shorter runs with less time for regen and more time to get up to temp if your car can even manage it ,i won't as said with faulty stats in winter ( extremely common issue) Its 88 quid for 2 stats or was when i got mine , you can see on youtube how to unlock the hidden menu and see what the car is running at if its below 80c you will have issues.

I have always given mine a run every week holding the revs up at 2000 or a bit above for 5 miles in a lower gear after its warmed up as from what I read there are passive and active regens , a passive one is once the dpf gets hot enough with the heat from the engine due to high revs it will regen no matter what is wrong whereas an active regen will only work if all conditions like engine temp are met .
Given how many cars still run ok with faulty stats like mine did there much be something in this (imo) :driving:

marti

Post by marti » Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:11 pm

Take to your local indi and get them to force a regen, I have one done once a year on my van as it only does short journeys and never really gets to temperature, but as said your plugs and controller need to be working....