Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Aaand...... They're off!

General car related chat
StuBeeDoo

Aaand...... They're off!

Post by StuBeeDoo » Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:38 pm

The winter wheels, that is. :)
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Aaand...... They're off!

Post by Leslie » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:16 pm

Wanting to run mine a bit longer as will be replacing the rears before next winter..already have the tyres bought and they are big and getting in the way lol

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:59 pm

StuBeeDoo wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:38 pmThe winter wheels, that is. :)
I forgot to add that I freshened-up the gold paint on the calipers at the same time.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

Graeme

Post by Graeme » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:44 pm

In almost 40 years of travelling around Co Durham for work the only time I was snowed up was in March in the 1980s (can't remember the year but I used to run a Volvo 265 then - winter tyres weren't really heard of at that time. That was near Stockton on Tees in the south of the county - well away from the usual trouble spots in the hills and dales - caused by frozen snow blown off fields by gales and drifting on the road.

Hope I'm not tempting providence for you!

Graeme

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:04 am

In the winter of 2010-11, I was overnighting my E30 in a Council lock-up. The snow drifted against the door and there was no way I would even attempt to dig it out.

Then in early '17, or '18 - I can't remember now, half a mile from home in my E46 I was forced into a snowbank by an idiot who thought he owned the road.

Other than that, I've never had a problem with winter driving. :thumbsup:

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:22 pm

Graeme wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:44 pm in the 1980s (can't remember the year but I used to run a Volvo 265 then - winter tyres weren't really heard of at that time.
Hope I'm not tempting providence for you!

Graeme
Today's winter tyres were actually very similar to tyres back then with lots of sips and grooves in the tread blocks and back then they probably had more natural rubber in them which still flexes at low temps unlike today's performance tread tyres with solid tread blocks which is why vehicles get stuck so easily now

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:19 pm

Leslie wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:22 pmToday's winter tyres were actually very similar to tyres back then
I remember, back in the '70s having "normal" tyres that were M&S marked. :thumbsup: I suppose the reasoning for what we now call "summer" tyres being designed the way they are is lowering the rolling-resistance thereby maximising fuel economy. TBH I've noticed no real difference in economy between my summer Avons and all-season M&S-marked Michelins. My previous winter Pirellis were only marginally less fuel-efficient than summer tyres. I've pretty-much decided, now, that once my summer Avons are worn-out I'll stick with all-season.