Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Trolley Jack

General car related chat
Wayfarer

Trolley Jack

Post by Wayfarer » Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:09 pm

Can anyone please recommend a decent reasonably priced decent quality trolley jack for an f15, mainly for swapping wheels overs, as getting fed up being charged between £30 and £40 each time I change from winter to summer wheels and visa versa. thanks

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Trolley Jack

Post by X5Sport » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:23 pm

I bought one of these - 3T rated - three years back. Use it in all of our cars. Very pleased with it. I chose it because it has a large lifting plate and can have a BMW fitting jack pad safely placed on it. Many trolley jacks come with small lifting plates and those worry me as they could slip off!! A decent jack will be expensive but given the risks associated with going cheap, I spent about £120. I also have 3T rated axle stands too. Never just rely on a jack if you go underneath!

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B ... UTF8&psc=1

I also bought a jacking pad that fits between the trolley jack and car that fits the BMW slot. I think I got it on the bay. Mine is an machined aluminium but you can get hard rubber ones on Amazon too. Something like this.....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-And-MINI ... SwhU1fVesg
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:40 am

Talk about large lifting plate.
I thought i would have a look for a new jack myself and came across this one has anybody used one the ratings look good.
You do need a compressor with it but many peeps have a small one these days.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Orion-Motor-Te ... s9dHJ1ZQ==

Wayfarer

Post by Wayfarer » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:43 pm

Thanks for the info, wasn't aware of the BMW jack block, going to talk to SGS in Derby as fairly local to see if they do an equivalent to the Draper and then order one or other plus the jack pad from amazon and then change the wheels when they arrive. Hopefully should be a relatively straightforward job and will not only save on garage cost but the hassle of getting wheels into x5 for change and again for return.

Wayfarer

Post by Wayfarer » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:20 pm

Ordered a 3 ton jacket from SGS engineering in Derby and a BMW type jack pad from Amazon. The jack is virtually identical to the draper model, but with free next day delivery.
So hopefully will be able to swap the wheels over whilst the weather is good.
Thanks for the info

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:42 pm

Bit of a beast those 3 ton jacks at 40kg but good lift compared to the smaller ones , an old e53 scissor jack is great too and weighs nothing and would be perfect for the job and they are easy wound up , I keep one in the boot :D

Wayfarer

Post by Wayfarer » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:23 am

Certainly a heavy beast, the delivery man was not overly happy having to bring it down the steps to the front door.

Worth knowing about the e53 scissor Jack, I have an f15 one, but after my experience with the feeble ones Land Rover used to supply with the Discovery, thought a substantial one would be safer. I would hate to drop the car, that would spoil my day.