Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

X6 bumper 'diffusers'.

General car related chat
sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

X6 bumper 'diffusers'.

Post by sapphireblack » Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:43 am

After much see-sawing on whether to sell or keep the car, my plans to spend extended time abroad are becoming a bit vague. Covid has impacted many many people in more serious ways of course, but my plans are at best compromised, possibly being abandoned.

Thoughts have returned of dealing with the rather odd (imo) silver finished diffuser panels. I want these to blend in so they need to be black. Modifying with replacement OE options or even aftermarket are to expensive to justify, so black 'paint' it is.

But which paint given the hostile environment these are located, especially the front one with flying stones etc. They are texture finished like the surrounding black plastic, so only need paint as opposed to a crackle finish. A rubberised paint would seem sensible but which one?

Anyone already done this sort of thing with success?

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: X6 bumper 'diffusers'.

Post by X5Sport » Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:37 pm

Any car paint suitable for plastics will do. It just needs to be flexible. Plasticote is one that springs to mind. The front wings are plastic too.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:41 pm

A visit to Halfrauds is required then :)

mattmanX6

Post by mattmanX6 » Thu May 06, 2021 10:40 pm

Previously ‘blacked out’ the chrome trims on my sons mini. Looked at various options and used Plastidip in the end.
Really simple to use and gave a good consistent finish by building up a few thin coats. One headlight bezel got a few large chips in it after a few months, but best thing about the stuff was we just peeled it off and resprayed!