Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Dieselgate..

General car related chat
sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Dieselgate..

Post by sapphireblack » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:56 pm

Are any X6s part of this growing and evolving rip off? I assume it would only apply to the original owner anyway?

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Dieselgate..

Post by X5Sport » Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:55 pm

Huh? What have I missed?
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:07 pm

TV adds got me looking into a claim.

Specifically BMW have admitted to errors with programming some 7 series and some M series diesels, peculiarly blaming it on a break in somewhere, sometime :?

I wondered if it was a wider spread issue like the VW scandal?

BTW, i PMd you earlier :)

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:15 pm

I haven't heard, through adverts, any mention of BMW. What I do keep hearing, at the moment, is Mercedes.

On a personal level, I wouldn't bother even if my car was one of the "offending" ones. I bought my F25 purely because that's what I wanted to drive. Being the third owner, it wasn't sold to me on the basis of claimed emissions. ...........And even if I had bought new, emissions wouldn't have been a selling-point. I'll only be bothered if/when it fails an MOT on emissions - and all the last 3 it's flown through, and it even improved after the remap.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:28 pm

Just seen that ad and my radar is on now. I don’t think there’s anything dodgy as the fuel figures are what I expected under the flawed pre-WLTP testing regime (about 20% below glossy sales brochure stated). However, having checked it seems my X6 is ‘in scope’. The catch is paying 35% (inc VAT) to the legals - it is No Win, No fee though. Merc owners have to give up 40% +VAT!!

I was pretty sure that my last Škoda (2015 Superb 3) was affected though they always denied that engine (EA288) was included in the scandal. All I do know is its fuel economy was as bad as a 2-litre petrol and it drank AdBlue like it had a habit! We struggled to get 40mpg and I refilled 10L of AdBlue every 7-10k miles. Contrast our 2 series Gran Tourer, same size and power engine, gets 50mpg and has used less than half the amount AdBlue in 30k miles. The weight difference isn’t that great as both are AWD.

The Škoda also had their awful 6-speed Dog S**t Gearbox (as my local repairer calls the VAG DSG box - his yard is full of failed VAG DSG equipped cars) and the BMW has a really very good Toyota 8-sp proper auto.

@Sapphireblack - replied earlier, and again. :D
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:23 pm

35% fees are brutal but if there was a chunky payout you'd still have a tidy sum over nothing.

Seems like it's not applicable anyway.

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:12 pm

X5Sport wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:28 pmMerc owners have to give up 40% +VAT!!
:o At least Dick Turpin had the decency to wear a mask!
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:02 pm

Can't see anybody in the Uk getting a penny but if its America they have been caught well they will be paying a lot !