Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Winter Tyre Info and Discussion Thread ( Keep related chat here please)

General car related chat
AdamsX5

Re: Winter Tyre Info and Discussion Thread ( Keep related chat here please)

Post by AdamsX5 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:01 pm

X5Sport wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:48 am With spigot rings yes. Tyres are 6 years old (09/12) and 5.5mm giving you 1.5mm service before needing replacement (winter tyres need 4mm to work in snow).
So you need about 6-7mm. Anyway mine are about 5-6mm but I don’t do much miles and will only have them on till April.
I’ll keep an eye out if I spot something.
I’ve seen some for £200 but they are 5mm. Might get you through this winter .

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:11 pm

I do 1,200 miles a month so really need new. It seems that manufacturers have reduced the sizes on offer. Pirelli no longer do the wider version needed on the rear, and non else now seems to. I’m going to start looking around for a new set of rear hubs to match the fronts - or alternatively will buy a set for the F46 instead and leave the X6 on normal rubber this year. Unless we get a bad winter I should be OK on what is fitted anyway.

Still looking though :D
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

woodentom

Post by woodentom » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:46 pm

i have a question as i am changing my old x4 for the new model. My old X4 has 245/45 R19 Y and 275/40 R19 Y tyres and i bought a set of winter's which have been amazing

my new x4 will be 21" tyres on an 718m alloy so i am wondering if i can buy some 19" alloys to fit the winter tyres i have and that will fit my vehicle

BMW said the 19” V-Spoke 691 alloys will fit the car but they want to sell me new winter's. i want to know will the winter's i have fit my new X4 and what alloys i will need?

any guidance is appreciated

thanks

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:10 pm

Had a look on both Realoem for the sizes that will fit your car, and alloywheelsdirect who show rims and tyres to fit. This is for the G02 model?

They are currently both showing 245/50R19 all round and no other options at 19” regardless of season. No staggered set shown for some reason,

Fitting non-standard sizes could give a warranty issue and you’ll need to tell your insurers too. Most are OK with winter tyres these days, but some insist on factory sizes only. BMW can get very sniffy about non-standard for warranty purposes and have been known to refuse support. It may come down to the Dealer you are working with as more than a few are more amenable.

woodentom

Post by woodentom » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:20 pm

X5Sport wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:10 pm Had a look on both Realoem for the sizes that will fit your car, and alloywheelsdirect who show rims and tyres to fit. This is for the G02 model?

They are currently both showing 245/50R19 all round and no other options at 19” regardless of season. No staggered set shown for some reason,

Fitting non-standard sizes could give a warranty issue and you’ll need to tell your insurers too. Most are OK with winter tyres these days, but some insist on factory sizes only. BMW can get very sniffy about non-standard for warranty purposes and have been known to refuse support. It may come down to the Dealer you are working with as more than a few are more amenable.
the email i got back was:

Below are the smallest and cheapest option of winters for this X4
19” V-Spoke 691 fitted with Bridgestone Blizzak LM001 Winter Tyres £2580 Inc. Vat

i am guessing the these alloys can be bought at https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303201765557

as for the tyres i am not sure on the cost.

i suppose my question is, are there different widths of 19” V-Spoke 691 alloys?

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:26 pm

7.5J width is the only one listed by BMW Accessories, and on Realoem.

There are other 19” rims but none listed as being suitable for the G02 (so far).

sid10

Post by sid10 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:18 pm

They seem an odd size also 7.5 x 19 offset et32 5 x 112 , try alloywheelsdirect.net they offer a few sets but as always they will require RDCi valves , tyres plus fitting which will nearly be the same as BMW price , ask your local dealer for a discount or Pm me I maybe able to get you in touch with a dealer to get something knocked off ?
regards
sid10

RossC

Post by RossC » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:04 pm

X5Sport wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:27 pm Have been trying to get an OEM compatible set for my X6 for a couple of weeks now.  No stock anywhere in the UK from what I can see, nor in Germany with Tyreleader(dot)co(dot)UK.

Is there a general shortage of these tyres this year?  So far Yokohama are all I can get, but with a BMW Warranty I need to stick to their rules.  :(

Does anyone know how close MO (made for Merc) are to the BMW specs?  They come up as an option when BMW is selected.  I can’t find any detailed answers, but if they are also ‘matched’ sets then that might be an alternative.
Did you ever get anywhere with this?

I've currently got the 21's as a summer set on my E70 with the correct staggered fitment of 325 rear...

For winter I was going to pick up a set of 19's, or at a push, 20's, but I'm really struggling to find the correct size in * marked runflats. Neither the 285/45/RF19 Pirelli Snow and Ice seem to be star marked, nor the 315/35/RF20.

Have tyre companies really stopped supply of these now?

As you can see from the pic, if I go down to the readily available fronts, like 255/50/19 front and back, then they're going to look mighty silly being almost 3 inches thinner, especially with the rear arch extensions as fitted.

I've never been a fan of fitting wheel spacers, but maybe that might be the only feasible option I'm left with..?

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:38 pm

The larger 19” is a problem but the 315/20 should be OK. I have seen various choices for the 20” wheels and for the 19” smaller width. I’m exploring options at present, and Pirelli Scorpion were listed.. Tyreleader had them last week. UK stock choices are still low, but Tyreleader are on the Continent and changeover time isn’t far off.

However, a discussion with my local BMW Dealer covered use of both AO (Audi) or MO/MOE (Mercedes) as an option. MOE are now being listed against a Merc and BMW. BMW are using them on certain models already so they should be OK. Worth checking your specific model with your local Dealer. No one was in at Baron’s parts team to confirm exactly which of the three above codes were OK, but Service were certain one as now approved.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:01 pm

On a general point of possible interest I had a quite lengthy chat with Camskill today. Accepting they are not the only purveyor of tyres i must assume they do know their subject better than many.

Having established my queries applied to an E71 we verbally got down to business. As i can't possibly recount everything we discussed, in simple summary the best winter option is BMWs 9 x 19" square set up with the compensated rear wheel offset to sit on the outer edges of the wheel arch, tyres being 255 50 19 of course.

On the subject of winter tyres on staggered 20s the advice was catagoric, do not fit 315 winter rears, even with grippy treads they're still snowboards. As BMW use on the F16, with 10 x 20" front and 10.5 x 20" rears for winter, these have 285 40 20 all round creating a square set up. The wider 11" rear for us E71 owners with a 285 section tyre is also fully endorsed and within acceptable parameters and also creates a square set up too. All four corners have the same rolling radius to so no tranmission issues either.

Finally * marked Pirelli Winters, 285 40 20 are not runflats either! I didn't discuss their 'Snow & Ice' spec tyre though.

** All points probably apply to the E70 too, but that was not my conversation focus.

RossC

Post by RossC » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:04 pm

sapphireblack wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:01 pm...in simple summary the best winter option is BMWs 9 x 19" square set up with the compensated rear wheel offset to sit on the outer edges of the wheel arch, tyres being 255 50 19 of course.
A square setup certainly sounds the most acceptable to me right now, but with 255 rear tyres, to achieve filling my extended arches, 60 or 70mm wheel spacers sound beyond crazy.

That said, 315 wide winters on 20’s sounds equally crazy, so I’m really struggling with what option is best.

What size wheel spacers have people had success with in the past? I’m assuming around 45mm is a safer bet, but still a little on the thin side..?

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:18 pm

It's curious that the E70 doesn't seem to have dedicated 19" winter wheels with compensated offsets like the E71.

You could i suppose buy an E71 set and have the rear wheel CBs enlarged. Or, simply go 285 40 20 all round on staggered 20s.

RossC

Post by RossC » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:15 pm

sapphireblack wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:18 pm ...Or, simply go 285 40 20 all round on staggered 20s.
This seems to be the option that’s most likely now, as I’d like to avoid (especially large) wheel spacers if possible. Do you think 285’s would be happy on the staggered 11inch rear if 315 is the norm?

If this was to work, having a square setup would mean no worrying about * rated tyres, but I’d probably stick to runflats... Limited options though, Continental Winter Contact only by the looks of it.

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:27 pm

RossC wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:15 pm
sapphireblack wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:18 pm...Or, simply go 285 40 20 all round on staggered 20s.
This seems to be the option that’s most likely now, as I’d like to avoid (especially large) wheel spacers if possible. Do you think 285’s would be happy on the staggered 11inch rear if 315 is the norm?

If this was to work, having a square setup would mean no worrying about * rated tyres, but I’d probably stick to runflats... Limited options though, Continental Winter Contact only by the looks of it.
285s should be fine on 11in rims. Click here & scroll down.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:30 pm

These are permitted tyre /wheel combos. I've noted before that according to general published data, a 315 tyre on an 11" rim is actually too big and that 285 is better suited

285 section tyres on 10" rims is maximum, on an 11" rim its minimum, apparently.

** Whoops a bit slow. Looking again, you (we all) could use 275 40s all round :wink:
Attachments
Screenshot_20190814-070159.png
Screenshot_20190814-070159.png (184.07 KiB) Viewed 24553 times