Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Winter Tyre Info and Discussion Thread ( Keep related chat here please)

General car related chat
CondorX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Winter Tyre Info and Discussion Thread

Post by CondorX5 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:43 pm

[quote=""MJim""] Just hope I don't get any punctures - the tyres cost nearly £400 each new![/quote]

That is, if you can actually find any stock when you most need it!!!!! Glad you're sorted for winter though!
X5 2005 Le Mans Blue 4.8is
Fully loaded but Now semi-retired! 

X5 2012 Alpine White 40d MSport 21" style 215 black alloys, rear entertainment, media package, comfort seats and a load of other options.

forester

Post by forester » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:04 pm

[quote=""MJim""]Just hope I don't get any punctures - the tyres cost nearly £400 each new![/quote]

You can actually get runflat punctures repaired. I had a nail removed from one of my Conti Summer runflats last week. They did ask me on the phoneto sign a disclaimer, but they didn't bother in practice. Only Michelin ZP actually claim to be repairable (once), but in practice you can repair any of them provided they haven't been driven on flat, or not for long. You will probably have to use a local tyre place as the chains tend to refuse, I believe. The rule is only there to prevent people driving 50 miles on a flat, getting it repaired and carrying on as normal, by which time the sidewall may be damaged. If you know that the tyre hasn't been driven on flat, then there should be even less damage than a punctured non-runflat.

I have just paid a slightly painful £1100 for a set of winter runflat tyres.

forester

MJim

Post by MJim » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:16 pm

I did get a puncture on one of my summer tyres, a few months after getting the car and deciding not to get the trye insurance I was offered (I absolutely never get punctures I thought!). I needed the tyre fixed asap with a son in hospital and was told they could not be repaired. £320 later I was on the road again ... I would certainly look at the repair option as long as it's safe, especially given the availability issue mentioned above!

By the way, can anyone recommed where I can get sturdy wheel storage bags to protect them whilst being stored?
Current: 40d M Sport, deep sea blue, oyster, 19in
Spare: VW Golf V5

History: TVR Chimera 5.0
First Car: Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9

forester

Post by forester » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:33 pm

For some reason runflats do seem particularly prone to punctures. As I say there is no problem getting them repaired, but personally I would discard rather than repair if it had gone completely flat as I would with a non-runflat. Have a chat with your local non-chain tyre place so you know where to go for the next one!

forester

Slats

Post by Slats » Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:05 am

Well guys wanting to be ready for the snow I got my bargain basement winter tyres mounted up tonight
(not on the car yet) And so far so good, as with any part worn you never know if a tyre Fitter might find
fault but they are mounted up now and even though I havent plasti-dipped them matte black yet they do look
quite good already, the dunlop grandtrek has a slight all terrain look about it and with the larger profile gives
them a rugged functional look So im very pleased that the car will be a lot more drivable/safe when the shitty
stuff comes and still Look ok, i will update on them when ive driven on them for anyone who is interested, now wheres those Thule roof bars for the Christmas Tree....

Pete

Post by Pete » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:52 pm

I have bought a set of winter tyres and alloys because I live in a very hilly area. The problem I was getting wan't getting going, the X5 was fantastic at gettin me up any hill, no matter how much snow was on the ground. The issue I had was stopping and steering the thing once the tyres had filled up with snow/slush. One thing I can't get my head around is how winter tyres are actually going to prevent this from happening again because I imagine they will still pack up with snow and ice and I would love to hear of someone's experience who drives with the winters on and whether this is still an issue.

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AW8 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:07 pm

Tread pattern & snipes throw out snow more plus dedicated winter compound has more ability to grip snow- I think.

That said I also see your thinking - indeed such thinking was similar to mine when I was considering buying more aggressive pattern rubber for more bite/digging out ability in deeper snow (& mud/sand).
Gone - 2002 E53 X5 4.4i Sport (Pre Facelift) Owned 2006-2016.

Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

bonerp

Winter Tyres

Post by bonerp » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:23 pm

Hi has anyone used these?
http://www.tyremen.co.uk/product/6402/1 ... (e53).aspx

Thinking just over a grand isnt a bad price...
BMW X5 Le Mans Blue Exclusive 2006 Black nappa
Porsche 356 Speedster replica Condor Yellow https://sites.google.com/site/bonerp356/

squeaky2

Re: Winter Tyres

Post by squeaky2 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:56 pm

Been looking at winter wheels for the e70 and I have to admit this doesn't look like a bad price at all by the time you've sourced winter tyres and the alloys to go with them.

amacman

Post by amacman » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:18 am

this may better explain how a winter compound works
don`t just think snow , it`s not the real issue . ice is the real problem . very cold freezing snow is a problem .
soft snow will build up in front of a locked wheel as will gravel which is why on the original Audi Quattro you could switch the abs off if you fancied a bit of rallying .
AW8 , I suspect you have been listening to the old LR Defender foggies RE big chunky tyres . don`t go there with the X5 unless you are doing serious off road .
I have tried all sorts of winter tyres over decades . the modern winter compound is near as good as older studded winters .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clSC7APi ... r_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPu9lR0E ... r_embedded

and don`t buy cheapo slippo ditch finders http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPu9lR0E ... r_embedded

bonerp

Post by bonerp » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:21 am

[quote=""bonerp""]Hi has anyone used these?

Thinking just over a grand isnt a bad price...[/quote]

will these fit the 3.0d exclusiv? Currently got mahoossive 20" wheels on - there wont be a problem with brake clearance etc? I know they fit BMW e53's but does mine have bigger brakes at all - or just the wheels are bigger?

Finally - would anyone be interested in a group buy for these if we can get a discount? I'd be happy to query this with the Tyremen.

cheers all
Paul
BMW X5 Le Mans Blue Exclusive 2006 Black nappa
Porsche 356 Speedster replica Condor Yellow https://sites.google.com/site/bonerp356/

CondorX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by CondorX5 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:43 pm

Unless your Xes brakes have been modded along with the addition of the big wheels, the 3.0d cars take 17" wheels no problem, they are the ones recommended by BMWfor the 3.0d. You could check with the garage who does your servicing to see if the brakes were ever modded, or check the spec with BMW -= can't really see why they would have modded the brakes as the 3.0d engine wasn't changed AFAIK, I thought the "exclusive" tag was due to trims, colours, type of leather used, in car toys, and wheels........ If in any doubt, the 18" wheels fit the big 4.8 calipers - the 4.8 came standard with 20" wheels - so get a set of 18"s and you won't go wrong.

X5 2012 Alpine White 40d MSport 21" style 215 black alloys, rear entertainment, media package, comfort seats and a load of other options.

CondorX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by CondorX5 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:48 pm

[quote=""bonerp""]Hi has anyone used these?

Thinking just over a grand isnt a bad price...[/quote]

They should do the trick if you've got a grand to spend - the tyres are great, I use them and really rate them. We even have dinky little 15" Vredestein Wintracs for our little Merc A class runabout. The alloys look ok, but you would probably need to "declare" these to insurance so they can rip you off further, as they are not BMW OEM alloys and would probably be seen as "modifications" (read: recipe to rip you off!!)

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AW8 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:36 pm

[quote=""CondorX5""]3.0d engine wasn't changed AFAIK [/quote]

Prefacelift =184 HP
Facelift=218HP

Larger ones are only standard on the 4.6is & 4.8is. I am not aware of larger brake upgrade option on for 1st buyers optioning/specifying other E53's.

Personally I wouldnt fit the aftermarket rims due to poytential issues with insurance & possible issues with later resale if not removed.
Gone - 2002 E53 X5 4.4i Sport (Pre Facelift) Owned 2006-2016.

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Post by pvr » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:05 pm

And OEM is cheap enough. Also did not notify insurance as winter tyres on different OEM wheels are not a notifiable change in my book.
X5M F85,  Golf Clipper, Abarth 595 Competizioni, Jeep

911 50th anniversary -