Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Winter Tyre Info and Discussion Thread ( Keep related chat here please)

General car related chat
X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Winter Tyre Info and Discussion Thread ( Keep related chat here please)

Post by X5Sport » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:43 pm

Nice to know the 'Tire totes' work well with these big wheels.  Where did you get them from?  I bought something similar on line but you can't lift the wheels as the maximum limit is 25kgs - or around half the weight of a 20" wheel and tyre.  The handles ripped away almost immediately, so they're not used now.  TBH I suspect the dealer may have binned them.  Tire Totes from BMW don't seem to avail in the UK.

I'm pretty sure that my BMW Dealer stores tyres in vertical stacks as these prevent flat spots.  I doubt they take the air out though.

Richard
Last edited by X5Sport on Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

squeaky2

Post by squeaky2 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:56 pm

[quote="Don Coffey"]
Well clean and bagged the summer wheels and put to bed for the winter period.  I have taken the air out off the tyres and stored them on their side, one on top of the other.  I take it his is ok and won't cause any issues?

Don
[/quote]

Do you not want to keep the air in them whilst storing so there is even pressure across the tyre whilst they are on their sides?  keep the upper side wall weight from dragging it down

Don Coffey
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Don Coffey » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:51 pm

Ok, I'll replace the air and then leave on the side.  I got the tire totes from the USofA back in 2007.  Never used them until now.  So pleased that they did fit and although strong enough to carry the wheels, I didn't use the carry handle.

Don

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:20 pm

A BMW Dealer price update....

Wheels/Tyres are now stored by BMW Central Storage - wherever that is - and there is a charge of £78 per car PER SEASON.  Not quite the story I was spun a few days back.  >:(

I will be having a few 'words' when I go back to get the other car later.  The price via my local Dealer has quadrupled here in under a year!!  Update.  Got the next change & 12 months for one charge.  Will be £76 per car, per change from next Winter - plus inflation changes!  £160 a year per car all in, or £12.67 a month.  Labour is the biggest chunk at £48 per change.

Storage is £50 plus VAT per year - The storage charge is actually (IMHO) pretty reasonable.

Trouble is I have nowhere else to store them so stuck at present.  Not that I can lift the damned things either anyway. :doctor:

EDIT.  BMW now have a number of storage sites used by Dealers.  The 'Central' one is outside Northampton.

Richard
Last edited by X5Sport on Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Don Coffey
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Don Coffey » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:43 pm

[quote="X5Sport"]
A BMW Dealer price update....

Wheels/Tyres are now stored by BMW Central Storage - wherever that is - and there is a charge of £78 per car PER SEASON.  Not quite the story I was spun a few days back.  >:(

I will be having a few 'words' when I go back to get the other car later.  The price via my local Dealer has quadrupled here in under a year!!

Storage is £50 plus VAT per year - the rest is the BMW Labour charge plus VAT.  The storage charge is actually (IMHO) pretty reasonable.

Trouble is I have nowhere else to store them so stuck at present.  Not that I can lift the damned things either anyway. :doctor:

Richard
[/quote]

I see a little business opportunity here.  Mobile fitting and storage of wheels.  Saves the trips to the dealer, with a spin off, of suppling winter wheels, replacement tyres etc.  :thumbsup:

Don

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:08 pm

Not sure I've got space for your 'mobile fitting system' - aka your chopper  :(.  Getting rubber marks off the vip leather might be a challenge too.

pvr's got a large empty field though.......no problem changing his, but how many sets can you carry at once inboard and as an underslung load.

Richard

Don Coffey
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Don Coffey » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:17 pm

[quote="X5Sport"]
Not sure I've got space for your 'mobile fitting system' - aka your chopper  :(.  Getting rubber marks off the vip leather might be a challenge too.

pvr's got a large empty field though.......no problem changing his, but how many sets can you carry at once inboard and as an underslung load.

Richard
[/quote]

Too much time on my hands at present.  Sitting around annoying you lot and thinking of something to do.

Don

squeaky2

Post by squeaky2 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:42 pm

Maybe i should build a mezzanine in the warehouse at work  :)    Not sure i would get away with it though at the moment.....theres already 2 sets of wheels and a motorbike  :)

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:50 pm

What a difference in ride quality going from 20" summer to 19" winters!!  Still RFT, but nothing like as 'crashy' a ride.... :).  Feels much nicer, and more sure footed too - though that may just be me...

Richard

io1901

Post by io1901 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:21 pm

No it's not just you :)

MJim

Post by MJim » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:35 am

[quote="X5Sport"]
What a difference in ride quality going from 20" summer to 19" winters!!  Still RFT, but nothing like as 'crashy' a ride.... :).  Feels much nicer, and more sure footed too - though that may just be me...

Richard
[/quote]

Yep - only benefit of 20s is aesthetics. Ride quality is significantly worse and given their reduced ability to adapt to the road surface the road holding is reduced (save for on perfect roads). Look at any unregulated race cars - will always have a sensible amount of side wall.  But, for many on here, aesthetics is king!  :))
Current: 40d M Sport, deep sea blue, oyster, 19in
Spare: VW Golf V5

History: TVR Chimera 5.0
First Car: Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9

B5tew

Winter Tyre Info and Discussion Thread ( Keep related chat here please)

Post by B5tew » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:39 am

After having my winters on for nearly a week now I have got used to the look of them and don't think I will bother with the spacers
It was just such a difference from my 20s
The ride has improved soooo much it is unbelievable - but when towing my caravan it does not feel quite as stable probably the fact that there is more movement in the sidewalls

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
2015 Space grey 30d F15

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Post by pvr » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:42 pm

Must remember to buy some tyre gunk as the summers are run flat and the winters are not ....
X5M F85,  Golf Clipper, Abarth 595 Competizioni, Jeep

911 50th anniversary -
Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

Don Coffey
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Don Coffey » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:54 am

[quote="pvr"]
Must remember to buy some tyre gunk as the summers are run flat and the winters are not ....
[/quote]

I use this stuff. Does the job and very well priced. link

Don
Last edited by Don Coffey on Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

acideraser

Post by acideraser » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:12 am

[quote="pvr"]
[/quote]

I noticed you guys refer to this type of repair kit while my tyre was fixed by something like this:
http://www.americantechnology.co.uk/sil ... -144-p.asp

While in Europe I found screw in my rear wheel, air pressure was ok but could not drive with it. Called BMW Assist who told me a) RFT caould not be repaired and b) RFT are not common on the Continent, so I'd have to leave car there and get a rental car to get home.

It was Sunday but they managed to find local guy who came with similar looking kit and fixed my tyre in 10 minutes. Said this US made kit  works for normal tyres and should work on mine since I didn't drive on side-walls and no need to change wheel later if it doesn't lose pressure.

I did about 500+ miles since until last week when I put on winter wheels.

Has anyone else used this/similar kit and is it worth to get one?
Last edited by acideraser on Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
------------------------------------
2011 X5 xDrive30d SE Platinum Grey 20" 336 alloys