Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Giving way

General car related chat
Minda

Giving way

Post by Minda » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:54 pm

I'll start with a :headbang:
Why oh why, do so few people give way? and is there a rule book that im not aware of? 70% of my driving is in my van, and find very few car drivers actually give way, yet most vans will let other vans out with no bother. Go out in the X and found that nobody want to give me way, whats that all about?? you look a at the van drivers and think yeah im one of you yet the drive on pass. :headbang:
Guess we all guilty of this with out realizing, lets all give way :thumbsup:

Thats my rant of the day over :D
Current 2010 BMW X5 40d Msport E70FL 2014 BMW 435d Cab 2016 Mercedes Vito 119 Sport LWB

kenniff

Re: Giving way

Post by kenniff » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:53 pm

I give way to lots of people... as long as they don't inch out first :) Maybe its just my nature, but if they try to come out without sanction then i don't let them out... but if they wait patiently then I happily let them out.

Also, whilst we're on a rant, why do people on motorways think that putting their indicator on means you must give way? It's like they look, see you and then think well I've put my indicator on so here i come..... Grrrrr
Current: M50i arctic grey (G05)
Previous: RRS P400 HST, F15 M50d,F15 30d Msport, E70 35d Msport, 530i, Boxster, 330Ci Sport Vectra GSi, Chevrolet Lumina, Vxl Astras

It'll be allright in the end. If it isn't allright it isn't the end

Minda

Post by Minda » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:17 pm

Know exactly what you mean, leave a nice gap (a safe braking distance) and you get some idiot plonking his car in there :headbang:
Current 2010 BMW X5 40d Msport E70FL 2014 BMW 435d Cab 2016 Mercedes Vito 119 Sport LWB

Turks
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Turks » Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:07 am

[quote=""kenniff""]Also, whilst we're on a rant, why do people on motorways think that putting their indicator on means you must give way? It's like they look, see you and then think well I've put my indicator on so here i come..... Grrrrr[/quote]

That is an example which really flicks my switches... I have been noticing it more and more when I come back to the UK too. They drive like absolute tools here in Kazakhstan (mirrors or courtesy don't exist) and it used to be refreshing to be back on the UK roads... I feel almost instant rage when people drive like that because it is so dangerous! Especially at 70-80 mph!

Another RANT and it is probably a common occurance on the motorway is the idiots that think it is perfectly fine to undertake... when you close the gap so they can't just bully their way into the third lane, they give you abuse like you are the one driving badly! ...oh and before anyone says anything - I know I shouldn't rise to it really and speed up just so they can't get in but I just hate them getting away with it (plus I like to give the V8 a blip every now and again).

Turks.
Present:
2018 (18) F85 X5M - Donnington Grey

Past:
2014 (14) F10 M5 - Monte Carlo Blue
2004 (54) E53 X5 4.8is - Sapphire Black

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Post by pvr » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:41 am

[quote=""Minda""]Know exactly what you mean, leave a nice gap (a safe braking distance) and you get some idiot plonking his car in there :headbang:[/quote]

You certainly can't do that in NL, as that is an invitation for a truck to slip in there causing you to brake like mad. Especially with the Eastern European lot, they are above the law.
X5M F85,  Golf Clipper, Abarth 595 Competizioni, Jeep

911 50th anniversary -
Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

Jalf

Post by Jalf » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:37 pm

I always give way and wave thanks if someone has stopped to let me pass, even at traffic calming where they have to stop, I flash people out of junctions and with all that I've had more road rage muppets coming at me since I got the X than ever before, had some crazy Kia sportage driver drive at me while I was driving up a hill the other day blowing their horn :?
I've actually taken to keeping off the roads at peak times to avoid the dicks on UK roads.

millerman1ac

Post by millerman1ac » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:07 am

ahh the joys of living in the highlands ;o)

you really only get most twats when on the bike!!..
now that is scary!
2004 4.4 Sport Black with Black

1998 Suzuki TL1000R, power commander, ART cans, K & N, TRE

Pete

Post by Pete » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:05 am

I'm finding that now I drive an X that nobody bothers to say thanks when I give way on a narrow road next to my home (I'd say 90% of the time)...It winds me up so much that I am now seriously considering just trundling straight through and letting them panic.

Minda

Post by Minda » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:21 pm

[quote=""Pete""]I'm finding that now I drive an X that nobody bothers to say thanks when I give way on a narrow road next to my home (I'd say 90% of the time)...It winds me up so much that I am now seriously considering just trundling straight through and letting them panic.[/quote]
:rofl: sounds about right :rofl:

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:34 pm

Of course we could take the approach that as BMW Owners we do actually own the road and these other peasants shouldn't be there anyway. :poke: :poke: :fuelfire:

They're only jealous, and have to show it by not letting us onto the roads that ARE rightfully ours anyway. :D
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.