Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Police

General car related chat
phill

Police

Post by phill » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:17 pm

Police around North Manchester have decided to pull cars over with snow on the roofs, charge them £60 and you get 3 points on your licence. Don't know if this is normal but I have not heard of it before? Maybe the police have experienced the government cuts and now need to pay for their Christmas lunch some other way.

Anyway the above is only a warning.

Phill

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
2003 SAAB 9-3t convertible 175bhp - current
2003 X5 4.6is - Now dead

millerman1ac

Re: Police

Post by millerman1ac » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:40 pm

heard the same warning in inverness today!!.. thought that couldn't be right!!

you have just confirmed to me it can be!! WOW
2004 4.4 Sport Black with Black

1998 Suzuki TL1000R, power commander, ART cans, K & N, TRE

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AW8 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:25 pm

It can be distracting following someone snow becoming dislodged, however, most would see more of an issue with folk who dont clear lights & windows.

I think giving folk points & a fine for this is absolutely ridiculous except in all but extreme circumstances & this surely cant help relationships between police & public.
Gone - 2002 E53 X5 4.4i Sport (Pre Facelift) Owned 2006-2016.

Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:45 am

All valid points. It's even in the Highway Code though! :o

Where's the brush!
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

x555
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by x555 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:15 am

obviously to the letter of the law it's an unsafe load and could cause an accident ......but come on a £60 fine and 3 points surely a word of warning would suffice :roll:
54 PLATE E53 3.0d X5 FACELIFT BLACK WITH BLACK

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Post by pvr » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:16 am

As per Pistonheads, this was a hoax supposedly. Although seeing some cars driving about, it is plain dangerous / stupid.
X5M F85,  Golf Clipper, Abarth 595 Competizioni, Jeep

911 50th anniversary -

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:56 am

Clearing snow off a vehicle is indeed mentioned in the Highway Code (all windows, lights, numberplates, mirrors, and windows thoroughly demisted is under Rule 204)and of course Rule 229 warns that all snow that could fall into the path of another use be removed - which I guess includes the roof. I can foresee a Police Officer stating that it could conceivably be classified as driving without due care if for example a large block of snow came off and hit the car behind and blocked its view (or broke its windscreen worst case), or hit a pedestrian etc, or (under braking) slid down your roof and windscreen and blocked your view ahead. That of course carries a fixed £60 + 3 points penalty as long as no one is hurt - after which it gets a lot worse.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

philip600

Post by philip600 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:03 pm

Hi,

I've seen numerous people over the last week where they have braked & all the snow from the roof has slid down & blocked the screen completely. A few then tried to use the wipers to clear it :o Result, very bent wiper arms.
I also had one where the whole lot fell off onto the road from the car in front right in front of me, not nice trying to drive over 6" mound of snow at 30mph.
It's crazy driving around with a foot of snow on top of your car, clear it off with a brush, it's common sense surely ?

Phil.
2005 3.0d Le Mans auto - Now gone :-( but replaced with an Audi A4 Avant Quattro Black Edition 177PS :-)
1988 Porsche 911 Carrera Cabriolet - NOW SOLD.
1996 Lotus Esprit S4s in Mica Yellow.

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AW8 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:10 pm

Saw someone yesterday driving with car covered on snow, windows and lights partially obscured & driver chatting on handheld mobile phone.

Anyway - snow all gone here, (for now), & after plentiful rain
Gone - 2002 E53 X5 4.4i Sport (Pre Facelift) Owned 2006-2016.

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Post by pvr » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:26 pm

Have noticed that the worst driving offenders for inappropriate speed and distance keeping are "the young ones". Could not believe the speed some are sliding all over the place on the frozen roads, madness.
X5M F85,  Golf Clipper, Abarth 595 Competizioni, Jeep

911 50th anniversary -

Chompers
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Chompers » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:12 pm

[quote=""pvr""]Have noticed that the worst driving offenders for inappropriate speed and distance keeping are "the young ones". Could not believe the speed some are sliding all over the place on the frozen roads, madness.[/quote]

Yep plenty around here driving like complete to$$er$ :headbang: trouble is that they not only take them selves out but other poor innocent motorists :thumbsdown:
Current
09/59 e61 520d MSport Touring Business ED - Platinum Grey / Cream Beige Leather
Previous
06/06 e53 X5 4.4i V8 Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Nappa Leather

kena

Post by kena » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:11 am

[quote=""X5Sport""]Clearing snow off a vehicle is indeed mentioned in the Highway Code (all windows, lights, numberplates, mirrors, and windows thoroughly demisted is under Rule 204)and of course Rule 229 warns that all snow that could fall into the path of another use be removed - which I guess includes the roof. I can foresee a Police Officer stating that it could conceivably be classified as driving without due care if for example a large block of snow came off and hit the car behind and blocked its view (or broke its windscreen worst case), or hit a pedestrian etc, or (under braking) slid down your roof and windscreen and blocked your view ahead. That of course carries a fixed £60 + 3 points penalty as long as no one is hurt - after which it gets a lot worse.[/quote]

[quote=""Chompers""][quote=""pvr""]Have noticed that the worst driving offenders for inappropriate speed and distance keeping are "the young ones". Could not believe the speed some are sliding all over the place on the frozen roads, madness.[/quote]

Yep plenty around here driving like complete to$$er$ :headbang: trouble is that they not only take them selves out but other poor innocent motorists :thumbsdown:[/quote]

I agree with X5sport on all of that, doesn't take much to clear the snow from your vehicle. Most people are just lazy and can't be bothered. As for the others, they all think it's time to come out and play in the snow but not with sledges etc, they use their vehicles. In all my years as a traffic cop i never gave out a ticket for this though and agree with comments on here that a stern warning is enough, using a bit of discretion, unless it's too late and an accident has occurred then your hands are tied and it must be dealt with as per the letter of the law. They only have themselves to blame on that occasion.
As for the other numpties, if i could have i would have locked them up for stupidity.
Most people don't have to see or deal with the aftermath of a road accident. If they did they wouldn't be so quick to condemn.