Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Vehicle Battery - AGM or Wet type?

General car related chat
X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Vehicle Battery - AGM or Wet type?

Post by X5Sport » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:57 am

As it looks likely that the battery on our X5 (E53) now being 6 years old is going to need replacing fairly soon I have started looking at options.

OEM BMW Batteries are allegedly rebadged Varta, and whilst I am happy to buy a Varta, their warranty is relatively short when compared to either the Bosch 'Silver' series (5 years) or S6 AGM type (6 years). For the unitiated, AGM Batteries are effectively 'dry' as the electrolyte is absobed into a glass mat. I have seen recommendations that vehicles fitted with Auxiliary Heating use these AGM types. I don't yet have it enabled, but it's probably on the list of thing to do.

So do I go for a conventional 'wet' Lead/Acid battery, or a Gel type or an AGM type? What experiences have people had with such beasties? I know that the AGM are more expensive, but given they last longer that's not a surprise.

Thoughts?
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

ChewingBacca

Re: Vehicle Battery - AGM or Wet type?

Post by ChewingBacca » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:30 am

What is the cost difference between the three?

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:39 am

Guide prices seem to be around £120 for the Bosch Silver, £150 for the Bosch S6 AGM, and I have yet to find a Gel, but I think the price will probably fall in between. No one place I have found does them all, and trying to work out what's a Gel or AGM can be tricky as not everyone puts the same level of detail on their stores. There may well be cheaper suppliers, so the prices are indicative.
Last edited by X5Sport on Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lezmtaylor

Post by lezmtaylor » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:07 am

I fitted an AGM Last year, had no problems, will dig out paperwork for price , amp hour rating, etc.
Lez
2002. 4.4lpg,ledAE's,Xenons,paddleshift,compass mirror,inst rings,led int lights,rear camera,crystal tailights,eisenmann road exh,Schnitzer pedals,chrome indicators,colour co-ord headlamps & bonnet grilles,hualigim entertainment system.dash and rearcamera,comfort seats.hud,bull bars,engine instalube

lezmtaylor

Post by lezmtaylor » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:36 pm

Found the receipt!!!
Cost£125, 95 AH rating I think, found this co. through Google and only 8 miles from me., but there are bound to be suppliers near you.
Seem to remember Sanj thought there may be a problem with fitting over spec Amp Hour batteries,mine has been on 12 months now and all ok.
Lez
2002. 4.4lpg,ledAE's,Xenons,paddleshift,compass mirror,inst rings,led int lights,rear camera,crystal tailights,eisenmann road exh,Schnitzer pedals,chrome indicators,colour co-ord headlamps & bonnet grilles,hualigim entertainment system.dash and rearcamera,comfort seats.hud,bull bars,engine instalube

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:21 pm

[quote=""lezmtaylor""]Seem to remember Sanj thought there may be a problem with fitting over spec Amp Hour batteries,Lez[/quote]

Not me - I have the same... :scratchhead:
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

lezmtaylor

Post by lezmtaylor » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:39 am

[quote=""Sanj""][quote=""lezmtaylor""]Seem to remember Sanj thought there may be a problem with fitting over spec Amp Hour batteries,Lez[/quote]

Not me - I have the same... :scratchhead:[/quote]

Apologies to Sanj

Lez

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:12 am

[quote=""lezmtaylor""]Found the receipt!!!
Cost£125, 95 AH rating I think, found this co. through Google and only 8 miles from me., but there are bound to be suppliers near you.

Lez[/quote]

Lez, Who was the supplier just out of interest?

Richard

x555
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by x555 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:50 pm

[quote=""X5Sport""][quote=""lezmtaylor""]Found the receipt!!!

Lez[/quote]

Richard[/quote]

Don't tell him Lez ....he just wants to get within 8 miles of you so he can stalk you :rofl: ..............i don't trust these e71 types :poke: :lol:
54 PLATE E53 3.0d X5 FACELIFT BLACK WITH BLACK

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:50 pm

:voodoo: :slappy: :guns: :telloff:

lezmtaylor

Post by lezmtaylor » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:27 am

[quote=""x555""][quote=""X5Sport""][quote=""lezmtaylor""]Found the receipt!!!

Lez[/quote]

Richard[/quote]

Don't tell him Lez ....he just wants to get within 8 miles of you so he can stalk you :rofl: ..............i don't trust these e71 types :poke: :lol:[/quote]

Battery megastore, Kennet Close, Tewkesbury. And I am just going to move house !!!!!!!! jOKING.
Lez

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:41 pm

Don't tell him Lez ....he just wants to get within 8 miles of you so he can stalk you :rofl: ..............i don't trust these e71 types :poke: :lol:
He's completely safe -they don't do the battery I'm after anyway............ :D