Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Fitting towbar

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
snrbrtsn

Re: Fitting towbar

Post by snrbrtsn » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:44 am

I installed a Westfalia 7 pin dedicated harness and it was plug and play with no coding required

I have the rear parking sensors and camera
The westfalia dedicated wiring kit disables the parking sensors, whilst the camera is still active there is a towbar icon on the corner of the screen

So yeah! As long as the dedicated kit is installed, no coding (don’t opt for the cheaper kit with relay)

The installation is all at the rear of the car, accessed through the cubby hole only, made easier by unscrew8ng the fuse box for access, required regardless to pick up your positive feed, the canbus wires have to be dug out the loom, though easy enough, definately no requirement to run cables front to back..

I thought I had pictures though must of cleared out, I’ll have a look..

On the first fit I used the scotch lock connectors, proofed the system which if the Westfailia instructions are followed gives errors and flashing tail lights, I only use a Thule cycle carrier so don’t need 13pin
I’d have to dig out the manual though believe it’s the black and yellow wire (I don’t have this connected and all works fine)
I fitted a towbar to previous F07 and had the same issue.
Thereafter I soldered and heat shrunk all connection and ran into the wiring loom which resulted in a very OEM finish, below the fuse box is a perfect mounting cage for the westfalia module and a suitable eyelet earth boss..

Point to note: The westfalia instructions have you running the cables in from the drivers side.. currently there is only one entry point that is used for the Parking Sensor loom, as such a hole is required however, if you look on the passenger side, a hole complete grommet is already there.....
Either way, ensure the grommet is layered with sealant between the grooves, then run over both sides of the mating face with a smear of sealant to ensure no water ingress (as access is difficult once bumper is installed)
Ps the above may refer to F07 chassis, I was going to delete but thought I’d leave for your consideration, I’m thinking the X5 had dual entry grommets on the drivers side above the exhaust and the lower entry was used.

snrbrtsn

Post by snrbrtsn » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:55 am

My escapades allbeit on the 5 Gt, allbeit similar traits with the X5
http://bmwland.org.uk/index.php?threads ... rics.1007/

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:45 pm

Hi thanks for the prompt reply snrbrtsn  :) Sounds like a dedicated kit is the way to go ,mine is a 2009 e70 which I failed to mention.  Good to see the Bmwland is alive and well, haven't been on it since it closed a good few years ago but used to be a very regular poster on there . 8)

Lyons

Post by Lyons » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:39 pm

Folks, what make of Towbar do you all have? I know Westfalia is the oem version, but has anyone got a Witter? I had a Witter one on my E53 and it was 100%. Just wondering if I should stick with Westfalia on the E70 just?

b21playa

Post by b21playa » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:04 pm

I brought a westfalia for the e70, but haven’t had chance to fit it yet
F10 M5 Competition
E70 X5 sd MSport
E90 330i MSport

Lyons

Post by Lyons » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:17 pm

PF Jones?

snrbrtsn

Post by snrbrtsn » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:52 pm

[quote="Lyons"]
PF Jones?
[/quote]

That’s where I got mine!

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:20 am

PF Jones for mine as well.
Good strong bit of kit for a lot less of your hard earned.
I went for the detachable type and can't fault it nice fit.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:12 pm

I struggled to get a westfalia so got a brink detachable fitted ,easy to remove and refit the bar with no tools just like a westfalia one.

Lyons

Post by Lyons » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:38 am

Anyone have a guide DIY guide? There are instructions on PF Jones website, but some real life photos would be handy too.

snrbrtsn

Post by snrbrtsn » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:20 pm

Is this any good ?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1epIt ... ef=2&pli=1

I’d pre emp and purchase red bumper reflectors, there’s a single screw behind the reflectors and their very prone to breaking....

Lyons

Post by Lyons » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:04 pm

snrbrtsn wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:44 am I installed a Westfalia 7 pin dedicated harness and it was plug and play with no coding required

I have the rear parking sensors and camera
The westfalia dedicated wiring kit disables the parking sensors, whilst the camera is still active there is a towbar icon on the corner of the screen

So yeah! As long as the dedicated kit is installed, no coding (don’t opt for the cheaper kit with relay)

The installation is all at the rear of the car, accessed through the cubby hole only, made easier by unscrew8ng the fuse box for access, required regardless to pick up your positive feed, the canbus wires have to be dug out the loom, though easy enough, definately no requirement to run cables front to back..

I thought I had pictures though must of cleared out, I’ll have a look..

On the first fit I used the scotch lock connectors, proofed the system which if the Westfailia instructions are followed gives errors and flashing tail lights, I only use a Thule cycle carrier so don’t need 13pin
I’d have to dig out the manual though believe it’s the black and yellow wire (I don’t have this connected and all works fine)
I fitted a towbar to previous F07 and had the same issue.
Thereafter I soldered and heat shrunk all connection and ran into the wiring loom which resulted in a very OEM finish, below the fuse box is a perfect mounting cage for the westfalia module and a suitable eyelet earth boss..

Point to note: The westfalia instructions have you running the cables in from the drivers side.. currently there is only one entry point that is used for the Parking Sensor loom, as such a hole is required however, if you look on the passenger side, a hole complete grommet is already there.....
Either way, ensure the grommet is layered with sealant between the grooves, then run over both sides of the mating face with a smear of sealant to ensure no water ingress (as access is difficult once bumper is installed)
Ps the above may refer to F07 chassis, I was going to delete but thought I’d leave for your consideration, I’m thinking the X5 had dual entry grommets on the drivers side above the exhaust and the lower entry was used.
Did you do the installation yourself on an E70? Definitely using a Westfalia wiring kit? The PDF guide for the kit (part number 303451300107) shows steps where you have to run 2 CAN wires to the front under the steering wheel.

Edit - I see yours was in a GT.

@Leslie have you fitted yours yet?

snrbrtsn

Post by snrbrtsn » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:26 pm

Yes - I fitted the X5 towbar (also)

The d can wiring is located in the boot area adjacent to the fuse box
The wiring loom runs up behind the rear wheel arch

All wiring was done in the boot area using wire splicing tool and heat shrink with soldered joints
I don’t like the block connectors
32A52E06-18D1-410D-A99C-35F7198287D6.jpeg
32A52E06-18D1-410D-A99C-35F7198287D6.jpeg (124.81 KiB) Viewed 1984 times

Lyons

Post by Lyons » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:52 pm

Thanks for coming back to me.

The guide shows the can wires at the front, does this look like the same as your kit?!

https://www.westfalia-automotive.com/fi ... 01-006.pdf

:? :cry:

snrbrtsn

Post by snrbrtsn » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:24 pm

Picture 8&9 shows where I tapped into the CAN cables

There is a rogue cable, I believe it’s black/yellow,
I don’t have this connected as primarily it caused disco lights after much frustration I disconnected and all is good, I’m sure I have it marked on the installation guide, I’ll dig out later

There may be differences, though doubtful, mine is lci
If you remove the fuse box panel and check for the Can leads, their intertwined and run into the wiring loom,
This loom you have to separate anyway (won’t commit to colours until I’ve looked at manual)