Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

re gen question

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
Jayx5

re gen question

Post by Jayx5 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:46 pm

I've had my 2 stats changed today as mpg wasn't great (22mpg average Inc long runs)and dpf needs a re gen but as I've got less than a quarter of a tank of diesel it won't do it, so I'm gonna fill it up with diesel later and take it for a drive, when will I know it's doing its re gen?

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: re gen question

Post by Leslie » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:33 pm

I still can't tell in my sd other than a hot burning smell from the exhaust sometimes when getting out ,but 3k after buying it the pipes are stilll clean so it must be regenning .if you want to help it along put it in sport and hold it around 2k for a few miles once its warmed up .I do this once a week as I do quite a bit of town driving too which isn't ideal .

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:34 pm

Mine runs approx every 300-350 miles (approx weekly for me) and just needs the car fully warmed up and doing at least 40mph or above 1,800rpm for at least 20 mins. It doesn’t run without the engine being fully warmed up, and I have had it running with less than 1/4 tank.

Apart from the engine idle speed rising about 150-200rpm, the only clue I get is that all of the engine fans run on at full power after switching off. It’s to stop the 800°C exhaust temp setting the car alight! The fans shut off after anything up to 5 mins. You may also notice the fan noise if pulling up in traffic. If the full regen doesn’t complete then it will run again as soon as the car warms up and is within the speed/rpm range again.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Jayx5

Post by Jayx5 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:54 pm

thanks guys, gonna give it a blast up the A12 and hope for the best.