Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Transmission Fault and jumped out of gear on motorway

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
H4MP

Re: Transmission Fault and jumped out of gear on motorway

Post by H4MP » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:53 pm

That really is poor on ZFs part being the biggest out there for autos that sounds like serious damage and a major overhaul was needed. My friends Q5 DSG mechatronic failed and the mileage was only average. Apparently the DSGs fail very often. Manual cars are good but I think once you go auto it's hard to go back.
So does that mean the 2007 and 2008 X5s should be avoided? Or have the issues been resolved.

I personally think the X5 is a pretty solid motor when comparing to other prestige SUVs

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:02 pm

The E70 got a revised version of the 6sp box as far as I am aware, and that has been much better. That box may have been introduced right at the end of E53 production. In 2010 those were in turn replaced by the ZF 8sp and that too is proving to be more reliable. The early E53 with the 5sp was worse apparently!

On my Dec 2004 build (MY2005) E53 is was a plastic part that broke. Perhaps if it had been metal there would not have been a failure.

I got rid of the Škoda DSG a year early because it was an awful box. It was very slow to select the right gear when pulling away often leading to dangerous situations at junctions unless Sport mode was in use, and the fuel economy was dreadful. I heard it referred to as the Dog S**t Gearbox. Certainly wouldn’t have one again. I prefer a manual, but on larger cars they apparently struggle to meet emission regs unless auto & ‘drive by wire’. Even our 2 series 2.0d has an (Aisin/Toyota) 8sp auto with no manual option.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

H4MP

Post by H4MP » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:13 pm

To be honest on a bigger car like an X5 you wouldn't want a manual it just doesn't suit the character of the car.. Maybe on an X5M.

DSG Is definitely something to avoid, one of the things that is missing in most cars is the heavy steering of the E70 and the tank like feel, the F15 has vague overlight steering which I would never warm to. My fiend owns a 2012 330d M Sport and he says my X5 steering is much better and more accurate. Whats your opinion X5port?
I know gone off topic a little.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:24 pm

When ordering my E53 I did consider a manual until the Dealer told me the deposit would be £10k in case I pulled out and he couldn’t sell it. I drove the manual and it was fine, but then I had been driving manual Range Rover V8 manuals at work for years.

The steering in our E46 (2005 330d MSport vert) is noticeably heavier than the E71 and both are heavier than the F46 in ‘Eco mode’. Sport mode makes it much heavier. Of all of them I think I prefer the E46 simply because it goes exactly where you want it and gives the right feedback. We both love that car because it’s got the torque of the M3 without the operating costs. It just doesn’t have the engine snarl and runs out of puff at 5,000rpm. The X6 I think has rate responsive steering that gets heavier as you speed up? It’s good. The F46 is electro-power assisted and is fine, but it’s a family car.

I’ve driven pure autos (apart from the DSG equipped Škoda) since 2004. I do like getting back into the manual E46 but I don’t miss it. Modern autos are so good now (apart from VAGs disaster box) and they do have a sort of manual mode-ish that I can use with the flappy paddles if I so desire. The modern 8sp boxes in the X6 and F46 just make it so easy.

It could of course be so much worse ..... we could have CVTs :D :cry:

H4MP

Post by H4MP » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:40 pm

I don't know if it's just my car but the steering on my E70 is really heavy... But it also adds to that tank like feel which I've heard is missing from the F15.
I'm really not a fan of overly assisted light steering on the motorway makes the car very twitchy not that planted feel.

Have you any experience of driving a Q7 and how does it compare to the E70/E71.

I recently drove a 2015 Audi A6 and the steering was light like it used to be ok the 1980s Honda Accord.

Really light and awful

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:53 pm

Sorry, no. CinC Home Command has a serious downer on anything bearing the Audi ‘rings’ so I’m not allowed near them. :D :lol: