Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

***FINAL UPDATE CAR BACK*** iDrive Display not lighting up

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
Monkeyman

Post by Monkeyman » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:56 am

HELP

Over the past few weeks I have noticed that on a couple of instances the iDrive display has refused to come up....after a turn off, leave for 20 minutes, restart it has burst back into life.......

Last night however it didnt come up and is now refusing to light up even after a few attempts.......spoke to BMW Emergency and they have said that it sounds like it needs a re-program and should be under warranty

Has anyone else heard or experienced this...???
Last edited by Monkeyman on Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Previous

E30 325i 2 door
E36 323i Coupe
Volvo T4........God knows why....but damm quick
E60 530d M Sport
E70 3.0sd SE Space Grey

Current

E70 3.0sd M Sport Carbon Black

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: iDrive Display not lighting up

Post by X5Sport » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:42 am

Never heard of this specific issue, only that in very cold weather the display can be very dark and as the car warms up it clears. Doesn't sound like your issue though.

Could be a hard drive fault if you have the CIC iDrive system (not certain if the CCC iDrive system has one), but it's defo a back to the Dealer and fix it under warranty kind of thing by the sound of it.

Whatever it is, it's a pain!! Have any other displays gone out, or just that one? It could be as simple as the back light has packed up and therefore you can't see the display.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Monkeyman

Re: iDrive Display not lighting up

Post by Monkeyman » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:31 pm

The display is still there and can be seen if all of the lights are on and you look at it at a funny angle......so I am hoping that it is the backlight.........may still press for a reprogram as well as it is coming in under warranty...

Going into the dealer stealer on Friday am so hopefully will have the beast back for the weekend otherwise I will have to use the wifes mini.....that will please her
Previous

E30 325i 2 door
E36 323i Coupe
E60 530d M Sport
E70 3.0sd SE Space Grey

Current

Monkeyman

Re: ***UPDATE*** iDrive Display not lighting up

Post by Monkeyman » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:02 pm

Well car was dropped off last night ready for first thing......phoned dealership to make sure they had received the keys which they had......waited patiently for the call to say it was ready......

....12:20 got a call from the dealer saying that there were quite a few problems with the car that needed to be resolved.......the iDrive display needed to be replaced, the car needed a complete re-code, there was a wiring loom issue which needed replacing, the drivers side mirror glass had a fault (still wonder what that is), oh and sir your washer fluid is low.......

Needless to say that it was not going to be ready tonight as the re-code, due to the amount of systems on my car, can take anything up to 24hrs to complete.......

I am now hoping to get the car back monday evening as I have a business trip down the M4 on Tuesday and dont fancy driving the wifes Mini....although a great little car....it is manual and I have become lazy........will update again when I get the car back.....hopefully it will ok
Previous

E30 325i 2 door
E36 323i Coupe
E60 530d M Sport
E70 3.0sd SE Space Grey

Current

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:31 pm

All under warranty though, right! :|
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

Monkeyman

Post by Monkeyman » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:12 pm

[quote=""Sanj""]All under warranty though, right! :|[/quote]

Thankfully yes.......I wouldnt like to have seen that bill if it wasnt.....
Previous

E30 325i 2 door
E36 323i Coupe
E60 530d M Sport
E70 3.0sd SE Space Grey

Current

Monkeyman

Re: ***FINAL UPDATE CAR BACK*** iDrive Display not lighting

Post by Monkeyman » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:38 pm

Right......

Got the call from the dealer this afternoon saying the car was ready and indeed it was, all clean and all complete....

Must admit the recode has changed the HUD display to now show the speed that the cruise is set to along with a clearer font used......

Now the bad bit........the cost.........luckily I didnt have to pay for it as it was under warranty..........but the total warranty bill to BMW was £2480........yep two thousand four hundred and eighty pounds

The part that bumped it up was the LCD display.......at a whopping £1490 for it...........

Thankfully I didnt have that bill otherwise I Think I would be in the hospital now recovering from a heart attack......
Previous

E30 325i 2 door
E36 323i Coupe
E60 530d M Sport
E70 3.0sd SE Space Grey

Current

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:19 pm

Fu@k me!!!!

So glad all sorted. That is some serious wedge!

Keep going with the warranty! Get as much as you can out of them!!!
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:50 pm

:o :o HOW MUCH, Good Grief! That's some serious charge for an 8.8 inch display, or did they change the actual CCC or CIC unit? Not sure which version you have. How on Earth do they justify that much for a screen?

I know what you mean about the HUD though. I wish I could get rid of the Amber 'Limit!' 'Speed warning' that keeps coming up on mine before I get to 'V1'. 'Rotate'. I'm not even in 8th by then though........ :D :D
:cpilot: ........... :police:
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Rusty
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Rusty » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:00 am

That price made me cough so loud, i woke the wife - oops.

Good job all was covered by the warantee. Not sure many would be able to justify that kind of repair cost.

Glad all sorted for you now though.
3.0d Sport Exclusive E53 CB with black comfort, pano, folding dimming mirrors, 20"ers, comms, xenons, focal sub, Intravee II, GSM heater........and so on.
Runabout - E92 3 Series Coupe

ChewingBacca

Post by ChewingBacca » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:14 am

Close call :scratchhead:. Pay up or get a pikey to torch it. :fuelfire:

Minda

Post by Minda » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:20 am

omg did that include the Christmas party?
Current 2010 BMW X5 40d Msport E70FL 2014 BMW 435d Cab 2016 Mercedes Vito 119 Sport LWB

Monkeyman

Post by Monkeyman » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:35 pm

tell me about it......apparently as well the latest screens that are being put in now with the newer iDrive are even more expensive and as for the ones that run TV.....i didnt even ask
Previous

E30 325i 2 door
E36 323i Coupe
E60 530d M Sport
E70 3.0sd SE Space Grey

Current