Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

M Sport vs SE suspension

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
MJim

M Sport vs SE suspension

Post by MJim » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:16 pm

I'm now there on the spec for a 40d M Sport, and many thanks to all of you that contributed and helped me with all the decisions - I really appreciate it!!
One thing remains outstanding. I went for a second test drive this weekend so that my wife could have a chance to drive it, and the good news was that she really likes it too, so an order will be going in imminently. However, the one thing is we went over some rough sections of road and you could really feel it. Don't think I mind so much, but nor do I really need sports suspension tbh as I'll risk ending up with sick children if I put my foot down too much in the twisties! I'm also mindful that we have lots of speed bumps round our way.
I'm therefore wondering of deleting the sports suspension is worth considering. May seem a bit of a waste I know getting the M spec but I personally prefer how it looks and I'm going for upgraded seats anyway. As I see it, I'll be far happier forgoing a bit of handling if I can enjoy the car more with a more chilled wife and relaxed children! I understand that the SE suspension is still very sporty anyway. Perhaps going for the 19in wheels will be all that's needed though? How do SE drivers find the ride? Is there much of a difference in handling between the M and SE versions? As ever, any feedback much appreciated!
Current: 40d M Sport, deep sea blue, oyster, 19in
Spare: VW Golf V5

History: TVR Chimera 5.0
First Car: Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9

Philb

Re: M Sport vs SE suspension

Post by Philb » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:23 am

I have the 30 M and suspension is fine, road holding great and it rides the bumps ok. Mine is shod with 20's.

I think you would regret small wheels and se suspension.

I also doubt you can get m spec with downgraded suspension...

MJim

Post by MJim » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:28 pm

Philb, many thanks for your post!
There is a box to tick titled 'delete sports suspension' or similar, so you can definately do it. I've even seen a number of second hand cars with this 'option' listed.
The M sport makes for great handling - really enjoyed the test drive when I nailed it round a roundabout momentarily :) However, as this is going to predominantly be used as a family car rather than my toy, I'm wondering if going for a slightly softer set up may be preferable. Also, there are a LOT of speed bumps near where we live to the extent that even Mr Clarkson specifically referred to them on TG - and something that can absorb them a bit will go down better with my wife an help keep her on side with the car! Hence exploring whether fitting 19in wheels on the M sport suspension or going for the SE suspension will give a more compliant yet hopefully still reasonably sporty ride. Although I know most on this forum will by definition be enthusiasts so suspect the view of most will be go for M sport suspension with 20in wheels!

NewX5

Post by NewX5 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:00 pm

Speed bumps affect all 4 x 4 only thing you can do is slow down.
X5 Xdrive 30d MSport
Carbon Black
Oyster Interior
Media Package
Third Row Seating

MJim

Post by MJim » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:09 pm

I feel very strongly about driving extremely carefully round built up residential areas, especially with all the young children around. However, its all about degrees, and in some streets the speed bumps are so severe that you have to pretty stop before each one which gets a bit annoying ... Like I say, I'm just wanting to explore the relative merits of different set ups, mindful that I probably have different sport vs comfort priorities to most on this forum ... May still go with the M suspension but probably with 19s like you :) .
Do you still have the 19s? It's good to see that you are obviously very happy with the ride as I saw you were continuing to explore getting 20s!

Rusty
Snr Member
Snr Member

M Sport vs SE suspension

Post by Rusty » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:30 pm

Hi Jim

Just my two-peneth but I questioned the suspention when I was looking at getting an E70 a while back ( before SWMBO cut the budget ).
I tried quite a few varients with the 'dynamic pack' and found the ride acceptable on 20" rims and they looked better, but they rode better on 19"s.
If you specifically wish a slightly softer ride but wish specific 20" rims then I would delete the sports suspention, but should you not worry about the alloys or may consider the tighter handling in the future then go for the 19"s now and buy 20"s as and when.

Just my personal opinion but hope it helps.
3.0d Sport Exclusive E53 CB with black comfort, pano, folding dimming mirrors, 20"ers, comms, xenons, focal sub, Intravee II, GSM heater........and so on.
Runabout - E92 3 Series Coupe

NewX5

Post by NewX5 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:00 pm

[quote=""MJim""]I feel very strongly about driving extremely carefully round built up residential areas, especially with all the young children around. However, its all about degrees, and in some streets the speed bumps are so severe that you have to pretty stop before each one which gets a bit annoying ... Like I say, I'm just wanting to explore the relative merits of different set ups, mindful that I probably have different sport vs comfort priorities to most on this forum ... May still go with the M suspension but probably with 19s like you :) .
Do you still have the 19s? It's good to see that you are obviously very happy with the ride as I saw you were continuing to explore getting 20s![/quote]

More than happy with the ride although most bumps I have to slow right down for as really not used to being thrown about by not much I can do being central london based. I purchased a set of 214 style 20" wheels & tyres just before xmas but still to decide if to use, Also will be getting coloured either body colour or gun metal grey again not decided yet my favorite are the 337 style just cannot beleive I refused a set at 1k.
X5 Xdrive 30d MSport
Carbon Black
Oyster Interior
Media Package
Third Row Seating

MJim

Post by MJim » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:51 pm

Rusty nail, NewX5, many thanks for the feedback - much appreciated! Looks like M suspension with the 19s as I had planned could be the way to go... I think they look good, albeit not as good as the 20s, and (for me) the slight aesthetic loss would probably be a price worth paying.

Are there any SE drivers out there who can comment on how the suspensions compare, or at least on how sporty the SE set up is? Is there much of a trade off in handling? As ever, any feedback much appreciated !

Rusty
Snr Member
Snr Member

M Sport vs SE suspension

Post by Rusty » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:22 pm

I did drive an SE with 19"s and it was a very comfortable ride. The wife definately preferred it and I did like it.

I personally am not a big fan of the smaller alloys as I think such a big car benefits from the larger wheels. That being said, the 'dynamic packed' car I drove fitted with 21"ers was almost enough to put me off the E70 had I not known better.

Good luck with the decision, I'm sure you will be more than happy whichever way you go.
3.0d Sport Exclusive E53 CB with black comfort, pano, folding dimming mirrors, 20"ers, comms, xenons, focal sub, Intravee II, GSM heater........and so on.

MJim

Post by MJim » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:42 pm

Rusty nail, thanks for the feedback.
Probably difficult for you to say, but with being more comfortable, did you notice much of a payback handling wise with the SE set up?

Rusty
Snr Member
Snr Member

M Sport vs SE suspension

Post by Rusty » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:15 am

Hi Jim

The handling was still pretty damn good for such a big car, just didn't have the 'edge' of the larger rimmed varients. That isn't a bad thing as far as I'm concerned and in all honesty I preferred it around town and those blasted speed bumps/humps/mountains that seem to be everywhere.

The slightly taller sidewalls on the 19"s 'give' a fraction more but as they will all be runflats none of them 'give' that much anyway.

Hope that helps a bit, but at the end of the day if you want to make sure you get the right setup I can but advise you bug your dealer and try and drive the various options available. I know that it is a PITA but your relationship with your wife may depend on it. LOL

MJim

Post by MJim » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:20 pm

Many thanks rusty nail - very helpful feedback!
So I guess you'd lean to the SE suspension with the 20s? Sounds like it still drove v well, and would probably suit my requirements better esp living in speed bump city rather than out in a rural area and sadly just not being able to benefit much from the handling benefits of the M set up with family in tow! I may even be tempted by the 19s as well, probably sacrilege on this forum - sorry !!!

Rusty
Snr Member
Snr Member

M Sport vs SE suspension

Post by Rusty » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:55 pm

Hi MJim

Used E70's with SE suspension and 20"s are pretty hard to find and so I would have ended up with the dynamic, but as you are buying new it may well be the answer for you.

I do live pretty rural but the roads are so bad I think a hovercraft is the way forward.

19"s, well, ok for winter tyres if you think you need some I guess but that's just me.

How is the rest of the spec going?

MJim

Post by MJim » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:28 pm

Thanks for that rusty nail.
The spec is done, other than the wheels, oh and deciding whether to go for aluminium or black roof rails on Deep Sea Blue. It was interesting going for a test drive with my wife at the weekend - she added a couple of items to the spec. K'ching k'ching. Oh well. Not quite everything now but not too far off!!
It's interesting the variety of views that you pick up on wheels. Reading some forums you pick up that the 19s make a world of difference in providing a more comfortable ride, but as you said earlier, given that they're run flats I would have thought the difference would be relatively small (hadn't thought of that so thanks). Is the dynamic suspension the same as the M suspension or somewhere in the middle?
I'm starting to think that ticking the delete M sport suspension box and going for the 20s may be best. Like I've said occassions when I'd be able to take advantage of the firmer set up are very limited and I also have to recognise that regretfully I'm no Lewis Hamilton skill wise! Softening the bumps a little may therefore keep everyone happier. Interestingly the rep I spoke to told me that roughly half the M sport orders delete the M suspension.
I understand quite a few owners go for the SE spec to get a more rugged look, or to get running boards, and I've also seen on the roads that a lot go for 20s. Are there any out there who can comment?

StumpyPete

Post by StumpyPete » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:38 pm

Technically there is no such thing as M Sport suspension or SE Suspension. The option concerned is option 226 Sports Suspension and is the same irrespective of whether you have an SE with Dynamic Pack or an M Sport. Most SEs sold in this country have the dynamic pack with the sport suspension. If you do not have sports suspension you have standard suspension (or non-sports).

Then of course there is adaptive suspension which is now only available as an option on the 50i.