Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Wing mirrors

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
Philb

Wing mirrors

Post by Philb » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:07 am

I love my new X5 and thought the large mirrors were great until you travel long distances on salt / wet roads and the mirrors become so dirty that it is difficult to see through them.

Anybody else have this annoying issue or is it just me...

NewX5

Re: Wing mirrors

Post by NewX5 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:34 am

Do you live in a rural area my wind mirrors are always fine, the problem I am having is the rear just can not keep it clean I have never used the rear water spray so much. What model do you have? Do you have mudguards?
X5 Xdrive 30d MSport
Carbon Black
Oyster Interior
Media Package
Third Row Seating

Philb

Post by Philb » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:45 am

X5 M sport 3.0D

no the wing mirrors get shitty on any wet road and being heated usually makes wiping the dirt off difficult without recourse to a bucket of water etc. Yep the rear is also a dirt trap much worse than my previous X3 was.

No I dont have mudguards, would they make any difference?

NewX5

Post by NewX5 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:49 pm

[quote=""Philb""]X5 M sport 3.0D

No I dont have mudguards, would they make any difference?[/quote]

I have no idea but will be something I look into as the rear is always way to dirty for me.
X5 Xdrive 30d MSport
Carbon Black
Oyster Interior
Media Package
Third Row Seating

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:57 pm

My E53 X5 has always been terrible for the back getting dirty and I have full mudflaps all round. In really wet or spray conditions I find I tend to leave the rear wiper on intermittent - and yes I use a lot of screenwash too. :x Sounds like the E70 is little better.

I'm going to put some RainX on the rear screen of the X6. It does help a little as it's water repellent. Haven't noticed the mirrors on the X6 being too bad yet, but I always carry a soft cloth in the car to wipe them off with and a bottle of Autoglym glass cleaner in the boot.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

paul300073

Post by paul300073 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:51 pm

Hi Philb, i also have E70 35 x drive on a 59 plate and yes the wing mirrors do get dirty on a wet day, i think it is due to the mirror surround being short on the side nearest to the window, it would be good if you could get a clip on surround which would stop it, as for the rear you only need a damp road surface for it to get shi*ed up, a design fault on both accounts by BMW i think?? also Phil can you tell me what sort of mpg you get out of yours as i can only get 29 max on a run according to the computer , have tried all the tests IE brimming it etc, as it is driving up the wall when BMW figures say ypou should get 27/42/34, if you or anybody knows the answer to this i would like to hear from you all.
As for mudflaps i don't think it would stop the rear getting dirty as the problem is caused by air flow from the top/bottom of the car , this was explained to me from a previous car i owned which did the same thing, according to the dealer.

Philb

Post by Philb » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:29 pm

[quote=""paul300073""]Hi Philb, i also have E70 35 x drive on a 59 plate and yes the wing mirrors do get dirty on a wet day, i think it is due to the mirror surround being short on the side nearest to the window, it would be good if you could get a clip on surround which would stop it, as for the rear you only need a damp road surface for it to get shi*ed up, a design fault on both accounts by BMW i think?? also Phil can you tell me what sort of mpg you get out of yours as i can only get 29 max on a run according to the computer , have tried all the tests IE brimming it etc, as it is driving up the wall when BMW figures say ypou should get 27/42/34, if you or anybody knows the answer to this i would like to hear from you all.
As for mudflaps i don't think it would stop the rear getting dirty as the problem is caused by air flow from the top/bottom of the car , this was explained to me from a previous car i owned which did the same thing, according to the dealer.[/quote]

The car has done 10,000 miles and no matter how I drive it I get 29/29/29 lol nearly £100 to fill up now too, but I do enjoy driving it...

bayrak

Post by bayrak » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:56 pm

Hi Philb,

Someone mentioned mud flaps I've had them fitted and it helps regard the mirrors but as for the rear of the car it does seem to get dirty PDQ.

BTW having the mud flaps fitted to 40dM means cutting a piece of the rear bumper so if you have them they're there for good (may be different for a 35d)

As for the cost of filling up it's only going to get more & more, not sure what mine is doing regard mpg but will get back to you.

NewX5

Post by NewX5 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:13 pm

The car has done 10,000 miles and no matter how I drive it I get 29/29/29 lol nearly £100 to fill up now too, but I do enjoy driving it...[/quote]

Thats is a good return although I am not sure If you are rural based or city, I am getting 25mpg exactly at the moment the best I have had is 25.2mpg which I am currently more than happy with considering I spend most of my time in the city. I would welcome better mpg but with the tank I am driving kind of accept it, you are lucky all round it seems cost me £112 last fill from empty.
X5 Xdrive 30d MSport
Carbon Black
Oyster Interior
Media Package
Third Row Seating