Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Reversing Camera

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
davyk31

Reversing Camera

Post by davyk31 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:43 am

Hello firstly, just registered on here, was previously a member on X5drivers and lurked here for a while.

Recently changed from an E53 3.0d LeMans Edition to an E70 3.0sd M Sport and loving it.

My car is fantastically specced but misses out on the reversing camera. A few questions ...

Is this item useful, does seem a nice toy but is it actually useful?

What appears on the display, is it just a picture. I quite like the current system where you see the car outline and the coloured display showing how close each sensor is, do you loose all this with the camera.

Lastly whats the best options for retrofitting this option and is it a DIY job?

Thanks

lezmtaylor

Re: Reversing Camera

Post by lezmtaylor » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:58 am

It is an " over to you Sanj" job me thinks.
Lez
2002. 4.4lpg,ledAE's,Xenons,paddleshift,compass mirror,inst rings,led int lights,rear camera,crystal tailights,eisenmann road exh,Schnitzer pedals,chrome indicators,colour co-ord headlamps & bonnet grilles,hualigim entertainment system.dash and rearcamera,comfort seats.hud,bull bars,engine instalube

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:16 pm

No idea on the E70 Lez, butthe display can be 'bird's-eye view rather than straight back. Think this option was introduced on the FL E70's like Minda's.

They'd be best placed to answer this - wouldn't think this was an easy retro-fit though... :thumbsdown:
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

NewX5

Post by NewX5 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:36 pm

My colleague was just quoted £892+vat to retrofit using all OEM products through cartronics which I don’t think was very competitive but each to their own. There are also companies able to retrofit 3rd party reverse camera which I believe there is loads.

http://www.pegasus-online.net/bmwupgrad ... 653c5c50ec
X5 Xdrive 30d MSport
Carbon Black
Oyster Interior
Media Package
Third Row Seating

flyfs6

Reversing Camera

Post by flyfs6 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:56 pm

Nice to see you here davy.

It was an optional extra available on E70 from launch and I have it fitted to mine.

It's useful enough for me to want to specify it again but with side camera on a LCI we are considering ordering But I wouldn't have it retrofitted personally. It shows lines to guide you in to parking spaces, and distance (it's not a measure) behind you by means of a colour which changes between green, yellow and red (being closest). I prefer to use the mirrors for guiding.

Useful for day to day use parking. But if you need to reverse up to an object with mm accuracy you'll need to get out to have a look as the camera alone is not going to work. Also it's only useable in decent lighting, which makes it poor in comparison to the camera on the new S class which is excellent in any weather/lighting.

Jalf

Post by Jalf » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:47 pm

I've found them really helpful and when I had to drive a friends car this week I struggled to park :oops: little mirrors, no parking sensors and no cameras, come the rise of the machines I'm dead. :lol:

Here is the regular reversing camera view on the E70/1

and the top view

Smatty

Post by Smatty » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:18 pm

very useful, makes for a lazy driver though :lol:

Out of interest, I had it on my previous E53 where the camera was placed just beside the handle to open the rear - terrible, waste of money as you couldn't keep it clean. The new position is better - just a thought

Don Coffey
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Don Coffey » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:32 pm

I have the reversing camera on my Honda and it makes parking/manovering so easy, but looking at Top View from Jalf's post, that looks like a confusing picture, does it make parking easier again?

Don

535dboy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by 535dboy » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:50 pm

As others have said.

I find it useless at night

Also gets dirty very quick and therefore useless again

Definitely wouldn't pay£1k to retrofit it!
Currently :
2012 Audi RS4 (B8)
2012 Porsche Boxster S (981)
2008 Lotus Exige S (a bit modified!)
2015 Nissan Leaf twin turbo with Nitros

Previously :
2008 BMW X5 3.0sd MSport
2005 BMW 535d MSport