Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Ordering new X5 - need to finalise spec

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
binu

Ordering new X5 - need to finalise spec

Post by binu » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:13 am

Hi all

We've got our 2nd child on the way and have decided to order a new X5. Test drove a couple of weeks ago and both me and wife liked it. Almost finalised discounts available from dealer which I am happy with. Just after a bit of advice re extras if poss. Planned spec is:

3.0D M Sport
Black Saphire with Oyster leather seats
Third row seating
Media pack
Folding mirrors

The other extras we are thinking of are:

Powered bootlid
Basic service pack (£400)
Reverse camera
Sun protection glass

Does anyone have any advice on whether these are worthwhile or not?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Jalf

Re: Ordering new X5 - need to finalise spec

Post by Jalf » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:20 am

Oyster leather might be fun with kids onboard, Black sapphire is the best colour though :D not sure if the folding mirrors are included with the reverse camera set up now.

Don Coffey
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Don Coffey » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:35 am

[quote=""binu""]Hi all

We've got our 2nd child on the way and have decided to order a new X5. Test drove a couple of weeks ago and both me and wife liked it. Almost finalised discounts available from dealer which I am happy with. Just after a bit of advice re extras if poss. Planned spec is:

3.0D M Sport
Black Saphire with Oyster leather seats
Third row seating
Media pack
Folding mirrors

The other extras we are thinking of are:

Powered bootlid
Basic service pack (£400)
Reverse camera
Sun protection glass

Does anyone have any advice on whether these are worthwhile or not?

Thanks in advance for any advice[/quote]

Hi binu,

Sun protection will aid the kids, but I would back it up with the sun blinds. Makes a big difference for the kids and far better looking than the suction stick-on ones from Mother Care.
Some debate with the reversing camera. I have one on my Honda jeep and find it worth while although you need to get into the habit of wiping the lens on a regular basis especially during poor weather.
Service pack is worth while if you do the mileage as it will be cheaper than paying as you go.
Powered boot lid, if you have the budget then go for it. One of those ones where you may not use it a lot but handy when you do require it. That said, I have a new 5 series and on this car you don't insert the key, I wish I had gone for comfort access now. If the latest X5 doesn't require the key to be inserted than I would take comfort access over the powered boot lid.

Just my personal thoughts and hopefully with a few more replies you will get the advice you seek.

Don

Philb

Post by Philb » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:54 am

Sun port toon glass defo.

Philb

Post by Philb » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:54 am

Don't you just love spell checker....

NewX5

Post by NewX5 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:59 am

Similar spec to what I have Oyster will be fine with the kids we have no problems at all and have done a few lengthy journeys already. Reverse camera does look good but the sensors work perfectly fine as you have the visual aid on the screen as well. The boot lid options is good for really large vehicles but personally don’t really think the lid is that large on the x5.

Good luck anyway you will be pleased
X5 Xdrive 30d MSport
Carbon Black
Oyster Interior
Media Package
Third Row Seating

binu

Post by binu » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:37 pm

Thanks for all the advice guys - think I will keep the spec fairly simple and go for media pack, 3rd row, sun protection, blinds, service plan and folding mirrors. Don't fancy reverse camera - read too many average/bad reviews.

Re the 3rd row - can I ask what age of child this can be used up to? Dealer reckoned up to an 8 yr old child would fit comfortably.

Also - does the standard parking sensors give an indication when you are close to something on teh side of the car. Or is it only front and rear? We did do a test drive but have forgotten.

Is it allowed to discuss price on these forums. Wouldn't mind seeing if people think I am getting a good deal.

Thanks in advance once again.

NewX5

Post by NewX5 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:54 pm

3rd Row is excellent I have only used with 4 year old in back really don’t see any problems with children of most ages. The parking sensors just covers the front & rear corner to corner not the side of car. If you want I can take picture of reverse camera view for you as using wife’s car today.

I would hope price discussion is ok cannot see why not go for it.
X5 Xdrive 30d MSport
Carbon Black
Oyster Interior
Media Package
Third Row Seating

Don Coffey
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Don Coffey » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:07 pm

Yeah, lets freely talk money. This way you can see if you are getting the best deal and will allow others to go prepared. Make the dealers sweat a little. :evil:

Don

binu

Post by binu » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:23 pm

Ok - so the bottom line is list price minus £2500 contribution from BMW (their current offer) and then just over 8% from the dealer on top of that. In total comes to about 12.2% discount. How does that sound?? (especially in view of recent VAT increase and probable decreased sales for a while until people get used to paying 20% VAT).

New X5 - I'd really appreciate a picture if possible - thanks

NewX5

Post by NewX5 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:54 pm

[quote=""binu""]Ok - so the bottom line is list price minus £2500 contribution from BMW (their current offer) and then just over 8% from the dealer on top of that. In total comes to about 12.2% discount. How does that sound?? (especially in view of recent VAT increase and probable decreased sales for a while until people get used to paying 20% VAT).

New X5 - I'd really appreciate a picture if possible - thanks[/quote]

No worries will get one to you shortly from the iphone when on way home.

That discount you got was great I only had a media package upgrade all though at time of ordering saleman said no deals as car is new model. To be truthful I did not ask for one but you live and learn I suppose.
X5 Xdrive 30d MSport
Carbon Black
Oyster Interior
Media Package
Third Row Seating

NewX5

Post by NewX5 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:24 pm

[quote=""binu""]Ok - so the bottom line is list price minus £2500 contribution from BMW (their current offer) and then just over 8% from the dealer on top of that. In total comes to about 12.2% discount. How does that sound?? (especially in view of recent VAT increase and probable decreased sales for a while until people get used to paying 20% VAT).

New X5 - I'd really appreciate a picture if possible - thanks[/quote]

Here you go

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
X5 Xdrive 30d MSport
Carbon Black
Oyster Interior
Media Package
Third Row Seating

Chompers
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Chompers » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:14 am

Just to add my 2p worth. Agree about SPG and blinds. But one thing you haven't mentioned is Seat heating. I wouldn't buy a car with out this, we have had it on all our cars for the last 12 years. A very worth while option IMO. As for Oyster interior, this will need looking after. I have Cream/Biege on my 5er and with 2 kids under 5 + school runs picking up oldest friends aswell the interior can get dirty quickly. I would defo go for rubber over mats as the carpet ones will get trashed quickly. All this being said, I feel the light interior/dark exterior works very well and well worth the cleaning agro :roll:

As for the discount, that sounds good. Have you only been to one dealer?

Would also add that a rear boot load liner would be a very good idea, not much use when the rear seats are up but very useful when down to protect the boot carpet.
Current
09/59 e61 520d MSport Touring Business ED - Platinum Grey / Cream Beige Leather
Previous
06/06 e53 X5 4.4i V8 Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Nappa Leather

535dboy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by 535dboy » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:03 pm

Welcome

Had the power boot on 535 not on X5 - not sure how much I miss it. Probably a few times it would have been nice. Always thought it was a little less relevant on thIs car because of the split boot.
Currently :
2012 Audi RS4 (B8)
2012 Porsche Boxster S (981)
2008 Lotus Exige S (a bit modified!)
2015 Nissan Leaf twin turbo with Nitros

Previously :
2008 BMW X5 3.0sd MSport
2005 BMW 535d MSport