Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Is paint protection film worth getting ??

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
NewX5

Re: Is paint protection film worth getting ??

Post by NewX5 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:29 pm

[quote=""davyk31""]My E70 M Sport has this sand blasted look, did some Google research and couldn't find much mention of it so its good to see the discussion here. Another mate has exactly the same problem, both cars under 20k miles.

My dealer took pics last week and is convinced it will be resprayed and a protective film applied all under warranty. Waiting a date to get booked in.[/quote]

I am currently at 5500 sinc Nov 19 2010 and have not got a mark are you city based?
X5 Xdrive 30d MSport
Carbon Black
Oyster Interior
Media Package
Third Row Seating

davyk31

Post by davyk31 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:37 pm

I bought the car used but it won't have been city based. I think its market quite badly but my dealer says they have seen a lot worse.

Perhaps with your car being newer they have somehow responded to the problem and changed paint or applied protection at factory.

MJim

Post by MJim » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:48 pm

@davyk31 - very interesting. Do you have a pre LCI (i.e. pre May 2010 face lift) version, and does your friend also? I was wondering if this issue was remedied with the face lift? Having said that, I picked up from a US thread that very recent X5 M sports have been afflicted with the sand blasting effect, so I suspect not. I may actually call BMW and see if I can get any guidance from them, and also get their guidance on what they're prepared to cover under warranty. Must admit, I'd prefer not to get the protection if it's not necessary due to aesthetics (having a few lines over the car is a bit annoying) and also cost. But if it is an issue, and as I suspect it comes down to the roads you drive on, then I'll get it done.

@NewX5 - many thanks for providing your feedback. I must admit I've been checking out a few X5 M sports I've seen parked around town, and have yet to see one with this sand blasted effect. Do you think the somewhat obvious theory of it being dependent on the types of road you drive on is credible? Although even that seems slightly flawed given all the gritting that went on this winter?
Current: 40d M Sport, deep sea blue, oyster, 19in
Spare: VW Golf V5

History: TVR Chimera 5.0
First Car: Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9

davyk31

Post by davyk31 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:35 pm

Yes both cars I am talking about are pre LCI. My dealer seemed very familiar with the problem and quite sure warranty covers the full repair.

MJim

Post by MJim » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:49 pm

Right. Spoke to my supplying dealer, who told me they had problems with stone chipping on earlier X5s, but that changes had now been made and was no longer an issue. But this doesn't tie in to many people's experience from my understanding.

Then spoke to BMW customer services about the issue. They told me that I would need to discuss warranty claim issues with the dealer, and would be considered on a case by case basis. Asked whether, given the chipping issue, it would be possible to have the film applied by the dealership before collection. Repeated that I would need to have grounds for a warranty claim and that this would not be possible. Think I'll get the film applied then!

davyk31

Post by davyk31 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:51 am

Update on this one. Three weeks ago my car was assessed by my dealer and warranty approval for the gravel rash problem was requested. Just had a call this morning that it has all been approved and car is booked in for tomorrow. Not exactly sure what all is being done as they talked about ordering parts which makes me think perhaps the side skirt and rear arch are being replaced rather than just repaired and also I have been told plastic film will be applied to stop it happening again. No matter what they do its a great result for me as it was unsightly and I would have done the repair myself had BMW not agreed to pay.

Does give me some confidence in that they will generally agree warranty repairs, help to justify the higher prices we pay for our used cars when we buy from the BMW dealer and also service cars with them. I bet if this car had been bought from an independent and had no dealer s/history that it could have been more of a fight.

Car will be with them for about a week so will report back later on how good the repair is but looking forward to my X5 being immaculate again.

flyfs6

Post by flyfs6 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:16 pm

Davy will PM you buddy.I will raise the issue on my car with Park Lane who will have the car next week. Your posts have inspired confidence in me to raise the same, despite being told by two dealers it be resprayed at my cost!

In short yes protection is worth it!

MJim

Post by MJim » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:45 pm

@davyk31: Many thanks for keeping us updated - much appreciated. I hope you can get it sorted properly at their cost! Made me think that maybe I should leave getting the film added, and then get it done at BMW's expense, but then saw the problems flyfs6 has been having!

@flyfs6: Thanks for your input - seems like there's no consistent policy across the network which is a bit worrying given that it's a widespread problem. Given that you've been declined by two dealerships re sorting the chipping out under warranty, I can see the safest route for me to go is to get the film applied myself ... would be nice to avoid the cost though!

MJim

Post by MJim » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:36 am

I put up a fresh post last night re the chipping issue under the E70 general discussion section. I came accross another M Sport driver who had not had any chipping problems and who also had 19in wheels, so got me wondering if its a problem with the wider wheels sticking out a little more and throwing debris down the side of the car? Just interested as to why some have the issue and others don't?

davyk31

Post by davyk31 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:42 pm

Got my car back yesterday and all looking brand new. Not sure if they repair the side sills and rear arches or replace them but get the feeling they were replaced as there were a few marks on the passenger side front where someone must have clipped their feet when getting in and these are now totally gone. They also applied a clear film to the rear part of the side sills, the rear arches and also the bottom rear part of the back doors. Will be interesting to see how this holds ups but a great result for me getting this done totally free and a vote for me in favour of BMW customer services and my dealer.

MJim

Post by MJim » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:23 pm

davyk31: Great that you managed to get it sorted by your dealer foc, as should have been the case! Well done, and many thanks for letting me know - much appreciated!! Are you able to say which dealer that was?

Unfortunately, I'm not sure if your experience has been shared by many, even when buying new - would be interesting to hear what other owners' experience has been?? I'd rather not fork out for the film if BMW can be persuaded to fit once chipping can be shown?

I had hoped based on some responses that the problem perhaps did not affect those with the smaller 19in wheels (as is the case for me) but have had sufficient responses from owners with 19in wheels who still get the chipping to know that it's an issue regardless.

davyk31

Post by davyk31 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:25 pm

My dealer is in Northern Ireland but don't let someone tell you the rules are different for "Ireland". Yes they may be different for Republic of Ireland but NI as part of the UK is under the regime of BMW UK.

MJim

Post by MJim » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:01 pm

@davyk31: Many thanks for responding - much appreciated. So the question is do I leave the car unfilmed and take a risk on getting it fixed under warranty, or pay do I pay now to get it 3M'd now and avoid all the hassle. Tough one. Don't know if there are any other owners who have experience of persuading BMW to rectify?!