Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Auto H button

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
chetalien

Auto H button

Post by chetalien » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:04 pm

What is the function?- My understanding is u can put it on, when in drive mode, so when u stop again completely its essentially in park but can cont to drive without changing the gear stick. is this correct? If you do it does it cause any problems. The reason i ask is I usually use it in city stop go traffic where when it is completely stand still i dont need to change to neutral or have my foot on the brake. Please correct me if I'm wrong and might be doing some damage to the car. cheers

Jalf

Re: Auto H button

Post by Jalf » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:15 pm

Auto Handbrake is just so you can take your foot off the brake at lights/junctions it doesn't do anything with the gears itself, I never touch the stick unless I'm stopping to get out of the car.

chetalien

Post by chetalien » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:19 pm

cheers, I'm a little bit relieved now. I was wondering if it can damage something.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:53 pm

I use mine all the time in traffic as it saves messing with the gear shifter and stops blinding the car behind with brake lights. Very useful function though. :thumbsup:
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Jalf

Post by Jalf » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:30 pm

I think it still puts the break lights on though, just going off reflections from when I was fuelling up a while ago.

petert

Post by petert » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:36 pm

Useful function - don't use it all the time but there are situations when it's really helpful,
Peter T
2010 E70 35D vermilion red, beige leather, Sport, Technology and Executive packages plus running boards.

Philb

Post by Philb » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:41 am

In essence it stops creep and releases when the accelerator is applied, you dont need to sit there with your foot on the brake.

davyk31

Post by davyk31 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:46 am

So if you are going to be in traffic do you just hit the button and then when you reach a standstill take your foot off the brakes and the car stay still? Does this then repeat for your whole journey without touching the button again?

NewX5

Post by NewX5 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:06 am

[quote=""davyk31""]So if you are going to be in traffic do you just hit the button and then when you reach a standstill take your foot off the brakes and the car stay still? Does this then repeat for your whole journey without touching the button again?[/quote]

Just hit the button at start of journey and hand brake will engage anytime you stop and disengage when you press accelerator.
X5 Xdrive 30d MSport
Carbon Black
Oyster Interior
Media Package
Third Row Seating

offshore blue

Post by offshore blue » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:27 am

Use it all the time , dont need to put foot on brake when you stop. Find it very useful although her indoors doesnt use it when driving the car , drives me nuts!
3.0 D MSport, Carbon Black, Panoramic sunroof, 3rd row seating, 20" MV alloys

chetalien

Post by chetalien » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:29 pm

I tend to use this a lot when driving in city or when stuck in traffic on the motorway. its bloody brilliant. well done BMW.