Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

x5 3.0D Intermittant Power loss low REVS

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
PierreNel1982

x5 3.0D Intermittant Power loss low REVS

Post by PierreNel1982 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:23 am

Hi Everyone.

I posted earlier about my X5 being jerky and dead in the power range at random times. I traced it down to if I disconnected the vacuum pipe from the EGR, I got my power back to normal but got the EGR error obviously. I thought it was the solenoid controlling the vacuum to the EGR, but after replacing that twice Im back to jerky power and dead spot.

Question I have is how do I test my EGR to see if its stuffed as it seems fairly clean(maybe not clean enough, but not gunked up), should I take it off and give a good proper scrub. I do have a can of EGR cleaner, mean stuff.

Do EGR's sometimes just fail despite appearing clean and ok?

Thanks

marti

Re: x5 3.0D Intermittant Power loss low REVS

Post by marti » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:44 pm

Could be your MAP sensor.....situated at the rear of the intake manifold..if failing will give you low power out put and jerky.....
Last edited by marti on Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PierreNel1982

Post by PierreNel1982 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:59 am

Hi Marti.

Thanks, what is wierd that I unplug the EGR vacuum pipe and power returns. Would cleaning the MAP work or
must it be renewed?
I have cleaned the EGR and its appears to open and close freely (quickly) and the solenoid has been renewed twice. Im back to the same no power from pulloff or jerky. Unplug the EGR vaccuum pipe and all is good.

PierreNel1982

Post by PierreNel1982 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:16 am

Had a look at the MAP sensor. Was a little dirty but gave it a quick clean with switch cleaner. No improvement.... I didnt push it back in properly and the car stalled on me for the 1st time, EEEK.

Unplugged EGR rubber hose again and power is back.

Is it at all possible that the EGR Pressure solenoid connection schematics on REALOEM could be incorrect?
IE I have connected them back to front and the vacuum is going to the EGR all the time.

I have no more ideas left now :-(
Gutted.

PierreNel1982

Post by PierreNel1982 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:02 pm

Question: Do the Swirl flap pressure converter and EGR pressure converter have the same clip size? I am wondering if the swirl flap has the EGR power supply/control and the EGR the power supply for the Swirl FLAPS.

Only way to find out is to take manifold off again. They are very close to each other. I just put them back as I found them after the garage had their mits on it.

Could explain the car picking up around 2k rpm with some power.

marti

Post by marti » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:43 pm

Sounds to me like your EGR isn't operating correctly or at fault....I run a 2011 sprinter and they are a nightmare for failing EGR's...changed it twice, 98k on the clock....I recall sometimes I had the rev range and pull and it would all of a sudden have no pull and revs wouldn't increase even with my foot flat on the floor....

PierreNel1982

Post by PierreNel1982 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:57 pm

Hi Marti.

Seems I will have to take the plunge and get a new EGR. It does nearly what you say.
dead at low revs, kicks in around 2500, but then sometimes ok lower down but randomly.

Im out of ideas, will try a new EGR. Hoping but not sure it will sort it out.

Cheers

PierreNel1982

Post by PierreNel1982 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:20 pm

Tried new EGR, same story. No power until 2000rpm or so. Unplug EGR and its back to normal with full power and with 0401 insufficient EGR. I still think the EGR solenoid power supply has been switched with the swirl flap solenoid. Unless the vehicle software has gone mad and over oversupplying the EGR valve with vacuum for too long, I havent done any modifications at all.

I will try this tomorrow, has anyone ever heard of this happening?

PierreNel1982

Post by PierreNel1982 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:30 pm

I reversed the pipes on the EGR pressure Controller. Presto everything appeared fine powerwise until warmed up and it now enters limp home mode. But no warnings lights or codes :-(

Going to take it into the shop next week, I dont have an advanced code reader.
Any ideas what it might be, I replaced the MAF recently so doubt its that.

Regards

PierreNel1982

Post by PierreNel1982 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:52 am

update: I hadnt tightened the egr  input onto the egr valve and was blowing hot gasses and soot onto the throttle body and plug. overheated i guess. Sorted that out and car seems fine. However the car is running fine, the solenoid is connected in reverse compared to REALOEM! The correct way was creating terrible lag, ie the egr was constantly open. Has anyone else ever found this?

kenny37

Post by kenny37 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:25 pm

I've also got egr problems in that I've codes for insufficient flow eventually giving eml light but that's the only way you'd know there's a fault. no drop in power and mpg the same.
car in next week to get manifold cleaned and see about an egr delete. not sure if this can be done by plug or a ecu has to be removed or how much it will cost. anyone?

PierreNel1982

Post by PierreNel1982 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:21 pm

further update: After my apparent success. I noted the car has perfect power/pickup on pulloff but fades between 1200-2000rm then picks up again. After a while it gives P3236 EML error and a proper limp home mode starts. Im stating to wonder if the swirl flaps arent working properly which is causing the lower mid range power issue ?

Thoughts anyone?

PierreNel1982

Post by PierreNel1982 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:25 pm

@ kenny37
EGR can be mapped out via the port on the car I believe. ECU doesnt have to be removed.
Cost I have heard can be around the £250 to £350 mark.

I might end up going that way, but have heard it might stop DPF regen and DPF might have to be removed which could cause an MOT fail. Anyone know about EGR ECU delete and DPF regen issues on the X5 E70?

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:54 pm

DPF removal will cause an MOT failure because you will now get soot & smoke.  Any of either on a DPF equipped car is an immediate fail. 

The test now also looks for any signs of tampering (though how they can see it on many cars with underbody shields that the tester can’t remove is a puzzle  ::)
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

marti

Post by marti » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:56 pm

My Merc sprinter just passed its MOT with flying colours...DPF was removed two year ago :)