Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

I've pulled the E70 trigger....

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
Alchemist

Post by Alchemist » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:31 am

With thanks to everyone on here for recent advise and help, I've pulled the trigger on my first E70. It's an 07, 7 seater SE with Adaptive Drive and sports interior (although sadly no heater seats  :().

Also came with a Witter detachable towbar ready to go. Few niggles I need to fix (broken ashtray, iDrive controller knob, deformed running board metal cover, slow puncture...) but aside from that seems really well looked after for its age and really clean inside and out - paintwork in particular is really good. Was a lot cleaner than many I've viewed in the last few weeks.

Limited service history (which was reflected in the price) and 90k on the cloc,k but BMW has confirmed it has had annual visits and the MOT history adds up with the owner history. I've viewed many with FSH that were complete sheds!

moggyboy

Re: I've pulled the E70 trigger....

Post by moggyboy » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:20 pm

Looks good. I like the colour. There are always a few niggly things to fix on a used car but it sounds a nice motor.
I hope you have many miles of enjoyable driving.

Digidick

Post by Digidick » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:50 pm

Nice spec, you've been brave with the colour.

NehalX5

Post by NehalX5 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:22 pm

Definitely got lucky with adaptive drive there. I would be thinking of getting a larger screen though, surprised they did those for the X5.

Very unique colour too. I have the slightest feeling that we were looking at this exact car when we were looking for one.
BMW E70 X5 3.0sd | M-Sport | 7 Seats
Audi A6 C6 3.0TFSI Quattro S-Line tiptronic
Citroën C1 1.0 VTR
BMW E39 528i SE Manual

marti

Post by marti » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:42 pm

Nice looking example, enjoy :)

Alchemist

Post by Alchemist » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:28 pm

[quote="NehalX5"]
Definitely got lucky with adaptive drive there. I would be thinking of getting a larger screen though, surprised they did those for the X5.

Very unique colour too. I have the slightest feeling that we were looking at this exact car when we were looking for one.
[/quote]

The colour is metallic bronze apparently. Didn't especially seek this out but this one came up and looked good.Bought from quality Part X in Stevenage (think they have other branches). Is this the one you were looking at?

AdamsX5

Post by AdamsX5 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:17 pm

Looks nice and interior is nice. Bonus for the 7 seats. Just put a deposit down too for mine. Hopefully picking it up Friday.
They were screwing me on the PX so just paid outright. They didn’t even include gaurdex.
If I hadn’t checked out the history and ownership I would have walked away.
Also used Carly App and Foxwell readers on it.
On code came up Linebus comm. something to do with glow plugs and controller. They will try to sort fault out before I collect. Also unusual that the rear seats were out of the 2 plugs and flapping around. He said valeters had unplugged them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:34 pm

Glow plug issues are very common and changing them without the controller almost inevitably means a return visit to have it dome soon after.

Like the colour  :)
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Alchemist

Post by Alchemist » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:40 pm

I did the same and paid outright, will make more dollar selling mine private. Mine also had a couple of issues to fix pre-sale, mainly an oil leak which turned out to be the sump gasket that they fixed.

I haven't run an OBD scan on it yet - probably should have before I bought it...yikes!  :o

AdamsX5

Post by AdamsX5 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:24 pm

[quote="Alchemist"]
I did the same and paid outright, will make more dollar selling mine private. Mine also had a couple of issues to fix pre-sale, mainly an oil leak which turned out to be the sump gasket that they fixed.

I haven't run an OBD scan on it yet - probably should have before I bought it...yikes!  :o
[/quote]
In fact I do the Carly on it an it brought up 16 faults. Then I got him to get his code reader and some faults were in history. So he removed them.
When I stated Carly again it showed just one fault. The line bus comm glow plug controller.
Foxwell was useless it said no codes.
However it will help in battery reg and coding including forced dpf regeneration. I plan to do short journeys too and a motorway once a week.

I can’t recommend Carly enough. Go for the adapter and buy app on eBay for £5.00. The app only allows you to diagnose though you can’t do anything else like the pro app which is £50/yr.

Anyways will let u guys know how I get on.

AdamsX5

Post by AdamsX5 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:29 pm

[quote="X5Sport"]
Glow plug issues are very common and changing them without the controller almost inevitably means a return visit to have it dome soon after.

Like the colour  [emoji4]
[/quote]
I like the colour too. I had a Honda CR-V in that colour. Was gonna pull trigger on a Deep sea blue E70 today but went with  Alpine white. The Bmw dealer never rang back it was a 2013 and more money as well around 23k but warranty included.

But that is a nice clean car i hope you got a good deal. I don’t think I got a even a full tank of fuel. Bad negotiator when you just want the car and they could see it. I moved it locally for £50 so they figured it out.

Last edited by AdamsX5 on Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alchemist

Post by Alchemist » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:41 pm

Thanks guys, deal was good, roughly £2k under similar years and higher mileage models. Half a tank of fuel as well!

Dealer didn't know it had a towbar, as it's a foldaway so all the electrics were hidden and the bar within the boot storage area. LAck of documented service history is what brought the price down though, and won't make it easy if/when i come to sell it - but planning on hanging on to this for a good few years.

AdamsX5

Post by AdamsX5 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:46 pm

[quote="Alchemist"]
Thanks guys, deal was good, roughly £2k under similar years and higher mileage models. Half a tank of fuel as well!

Dealer didn't know it had a towbar, as it's a foldaway so all the electrics were hidden and the bar within the boot storage area. LAck of documented service history is what brought the price down though, and won't make it easy if/when i come to sell it - but planning on hanging on to this for a good few years.
[/quote]
I think if you keep it then it won’t matter as when you trade it years down the line FSH won’t make a diff. If mots show mileage then it shouldn’t be clocked anyway. Just take it for a full vhc at your stealers and get work done elsewhere as they rob you anyway.
Mine had had service in July so will just check pollen filter as there is a smell. Otherwise will get fluids sorted like diff etc.

AdamsX5

Post by AdamsX5 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:15 pm

[quote="Alchemist"]

[/quote]
Roughly what did you pay for yours?
Mines up at £8500 for 57  plate and done 85000 miles in silver. Is that reasonable as it has FSH but I key and no 7 seats no that I’m fussed about that.
It also has this not sure what that is
S677A 
HiFi System Professional
Also what is the sports package
P330A on an se.
Last edited by AdamsX5 on Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:49 pm

S677A is the Logic 7 amp and speaker system which includes sub-woofers under the front seats and DSP on the equaliser (surround sound).  It’s very good.  :)

P330A will be the standard fit springs and dampers used for Sport suspension.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.