Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Put deposit on E70 4.0d

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
AdamsX5

Put deposit on E70 4.0d

Post by AdamsX5 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:53 pm

[quote="X5Sport"]
Optional up until about 2012 model year I think.  The X6 got it as standard but not the X5 until later on.

In terms of a key, yes they are expensive but it has security chips in it and after a number of theft concerns some years back, BMW have tightened control and access to spare keys and codes.  You may be able to source a spare.
[/quote]
I think I’m dealing with a incompetent dealership.
They said it only has one key. I rang the branch myself today and Swindon branch where it came from has the other key. They received 2nd key in August from customer. The key is still in Swindon and none has requested other key for me.These guys pressured me to accept the one key. So will ring tmrw am to get them to post it on to me when I buy it. I’m doing there job for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdamsX5

Put deposit on E70 4.0d

Post by AdamsX5 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:54 pm

Quick question: I noticed the rear seats were unclipped from seat base and loose.
For what reason would the dealer do that? Surely you wouldn’t do that to clean? Is there a repair you can only do with seats off the base?

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Put deposit on E70 4.0d

Post by X5Sport » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:04 pm

Access the fuel pumps/floats would be the usual.  Done through hatches under the rear seats as the fuel tank is directly below.  There are some electrical cables there but taking the seat up is a bit unusual as you say.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

AdamsX5

Post by AdamsX5 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:17 pm

[quote="X5Sport"]
Access the fuel pumps/floats would be the usual.  Done through hatches under the rear seats as the fuel tank is directly below.  There are some electrical cables there but taking the seat up is a bit unusual as you say.
[/quote]
Thanks. I did notice some cables under the seat. Wonder if the previous branch changed the fuel pump before they transferred it..a guess.
Anyway not to worry I’ve got 3 months warranty with it but driving 40 miles to get it repaired will be hard. Their warranty also says if it has to be recovered then that’s my responsibility.

Reusch

Post by Reusch » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:42 pm

You’ve got more than 3 months warranty if bought from a dealer
JFT96.YNWA

Current
Jaguar XF

Previous
Porsche Cayenne 3.2 (money pit)
BMW X5 3.0D
Mercedes C Class,Mazda RX8,Jaguar S Type 3.0.

AdamsX5

Post by AdamsX5 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:29 am

[quote="Reusch"]
You’ve got more than 3 months warranty if bought from a dealer [emoji16]
[/quote]
Is that 6 months then?

Reusch

Post by Reusch » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:27 pm

Yes mate fit for purpose 6 months if bought from a dealer I do have experience in this.Its hard and especially if you’ve paid any of it by credit card I paid my deposit by credit card and the company were great with me.
JFT96.YNWA

Current
Jaguar XF

Previous
BMW X5 3.0D

AdamsX5

Post by AdamsX5 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:36 pm

[quote="Reusch"]
Yes mate fit for purpose 6 months if bought from a dealer I do have experience in this.Its hard and especially if you’ve paid any of it by credit card I paid my deposit by credit card and the company were great with me.
[/quote]
I paid the £300 by credit card. Rest will be debit card. Will the 6 months still apply for debit cards?

AdamsX5

Post by AdamsX5 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:49 pm

Anyway visited garage today for second test drive with Mrs to approve. She likes car but says it’s louder in getting going than my F10. I also found that too... does anyone else who have both driven both attest to that. I can hardly hear my engine unless I put foot down but the 4.0d was vocal at low revs. Is that due to the low range turbo??
It has a lot more body roll which I expected but that might be the budget rears??
Anyway they will replace the front tyre but not the alloy as it’s only slightly bent and the tyre has been damaged due to it. Which probably means any new tyre will have same fate. I will have to search for one alloy matching soon if that happens.
The fault with glow plug is to be sorted by Friday and I was going to collect it today as well.

Did notice quite a few chips and marks but small. One area had a scuff and it had some repair done by touch paint which was not a great job. They will polish but will not sort paint job as there is no money left in car he said.
I can’t find any other car out there for £16.5k at 74k and 2011 4.0d so can’t grumble. It’s a 2 owner car with FSH mainly BMW.
Now the ownership story starts on Friday. Wish me luck.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:24 pm

The air suspension equipped cars do seem to have more roll which is why my X6 was ordered without self-levelling suspension (but it does have sport suspension).

Budget tyres might have more give if not RFT due to sidewalls softness.

There is less soundproofing on the E70 than the E53 had and I found that coupled with RFTs, the newer model is louder on the road.  My new F46 2er Gran Tourer 220dX is very very quiet in comparison (unless you open a window) which says a lot about the current generation of cars having better soundproofing.  Lesson learned by BNW?

The 40d engine has a very definite growl when poked into ‘making progress’.  It might even have the air boxes tuned to do that  :)  I quite like it actually.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Reusch

Post by Reusch » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:19 pm

[quote="AdamsX5"]
[quote="Reusch"]
[/quote]
I paid the £300 by credit card. Rest will be debit card. Will the 6 months still apply for debit cards?

Believe it or not the £300 you paid by credit covers whole amount you paid for the vehicle.
I paid £250 by credit card repairs were £380 credit card company contacted dealer had a cheque 2 days later (he was being an arse)
JFT96.YNWA

Current
Jaguar XF

Previous
BMW X5 3.0D

AdamsX5

Post by AdamsX5 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:48 pm

[quote="Reusch"]
[quote="AdamsX5"]
[quote="Reusch"]
[/quote]

Believe it or not the £300 you paid by credit covers whole amount you paid for the vehicle.
I paid £250 by credit card repairs were £380 credit card company contacted dealer had a cheque 2 days later (he was being an arse)
[/quote]
That’s good to know: think it was £99 reserve feeand 201 deposit extra on credit card.

AdamsX5

Put deposit on E70 4.0d

Post by AdamsX5 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:52 pm

Finally paid for and bought.
Glow plug still not changed but got it noted in order form it had that fault at delivery.
Now will see how it performs on motorway when I drive 49 miles home.

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Post by pvr » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:07 pm

Enjoy the car. My previous 40D was a remarkable car performance wise and was much better quality wise than my E53 before it, i.e. it never missed a beat.
X5M F85,  Golf Clipper, Abarth 595 Competizioni, Jeep

911 50th anniversary -
Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

AdamsX5

Post by AdamsX5 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:49 pm

[quote="pvr"]
Enjoy the car. My previous 40D was a remarkable car performance wise and was much better quality wise than my E53 before it, i.e. it never missed a beat.
[/quote]
Thanks PWR.
Was a lovely drive on the motorway. Even better on 30mph roads when you can just take it easy. I feel as though I don’t need to put foot down like the F10 as the car is huge and I worry about stopping it but the brakes are very responsive.
Parked in drive now can’t wait to drive it tomorrow. New car feeling... I know it won’t last but making most of it.