Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Just viewed another E70 with decent spec.

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
AdamsX5

Re: Just viewed another E70 with decent spec.

Post by AdamsX5 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:46 pm

[quote="AdamsX5"]
Just had a call from dealer everything is sorted with car. Fixed fault codes and scratches. Also the alloy wheel have been examined and fine. I guess they missed one or photos are wrong. Will see tomorrow when I take delivery.
I having a second test drive as I felt the handling wasn’t great on first. Maybe it was the rears being budget Zeta tyres.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[/quote]
Just drove it back from Doncaster and it felt ok on the motorway. Plenty of tyre noise on hard surfaces but otherwise ok. Handling is great a slow speed and I can’t complain.. just got to get used to driving like a 4x4 not hot hatch round corners.
Love the high seating position with clear view of road. It really is for cruising not rushing around.
The tyres seem ok even the zeta tyres cost £164 each so not bad make. I just need a new Bridgestone to match my front which is lower in thread. Having a VHC Wednesday so will get exact threads.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:37 pm

You’ll be surprised how many hot hatches you can scare with an X5.  They actually handle the twisties very well considering they weigh just over 2T, far better than say a Range Rover (which lean a little too much!).

As for the brakes, you should find that they can pull you up very quickly indeed.

I would read some of the write-ups on Zeta SUV tyres.  They are known to cause issues on 4x4 systems due to diameter changes as they speed up, and not good in the wet either.  Price doesn’t guarantee performance!
Last edited by X5Sport on Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

AdamsX5

Post by AdamsX5 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:08 pm

[quote="X5Sport"]
You’ll be surprised how many hot hatches you can scare with an X5.  They actually handle the twisties very well considering they weigh just over 2T, far better than say a Range Rover (which lean a little too much!).

As for the brakes, you should find that they can pull you up very quickly indeed.

I would read some of the write-ups on Zeta SUV tyres.  They are known to cause issues on 4x4 systems due to diameter changes as they speed up, and not good in the wet either.  Price doesn’t guarantee performance!
[/quote]
I’ve read a few tyre reviews.
So was basically thinking of changing them with matching Bridgestone DL as rest are Bridgestones on car. Are the Bridgestone DL are summer tyre or MS?

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:19 pm

Summer tyre I think.  I have Duellers on my X6 and if these are the same then they are very definitely summer only.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:35 pm

Mine has Zeta tyres all round and all virtually new so won't be changing then yet ,in fact of the few x5 e70's I've seen recently these are very popular tyres probably as they are a bargain price ! These should be much less of an issue I hope if they are all the same make and tread depth. They are marked m+s but I doubt they are much use in the snow, I had nokian winters on my 330d having a second set of wheels and they were very good.
  Just ordered some discs too as my fronts are well worn,those are big stoppers, 365mm on the sd and quite a weight about 15kg a disc !

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:53 pm

When you change the discs, you are advised to change the Caliper attachment bolts too.  Not essential other than you need Threadlok Blue on them (that is a must), and a 110Nm torque setting.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:11 pm

[quote="X5Sport"]
When you change the discs, you are advised to change the Caliper attachment bolts too.  Not essential other than you need Threadlok Blue on them (that is a must), and a 110Nm torque setting.
[/quote]

Will get some threadlok on them cheers  :) Ironically my pads are fine but the discs are well worn and the pads are not sweeping the outer 1/2 inch and the discs have heavy corrosion .

AdamsX5

Post by AdamsX5 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:13 pm

[quote="Leslie"]
Mine has Zeta tyres all round and all virtually new so won't be changing then yet ,in fact of the few x5 e70's I've seen recently these are very popular tyres probably as they are a bargain price ! These should be much less of an issue I hope if they are all the same make and tread depth. They are marked m+s but I doubt they are much use in the snow, I had nokian winters on my 330d having a second set of wheels and they were very good.
  Just ordered some discs too as my fronts are well worn,those are big stoppers, 365mm on the sd and quite a weight about 15kg a disc !

[/quote]
So basically I have MS and summer on same vehicle. The zetas are brand new. I’ve found some winters 19 with alloys for £325 which isn’t bad as the tyres are 5mm.
Will change late November to March.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:43 pm

Despite the m+s marking they are really summer tyres or at best all season tyres ,those 19's sound a good bargain and just the job to put winters on once the other tyres are worn out of course  :) I did see a similar set locally but Id think they are gone now as it was about 2 weeks ago and I've spent enough recently lol

AdamsX5

Post by AdamsX5 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:32 pm

[quote="Leslie"]
Despite the m+s marking they are really summer tyres or at best all season tyres ,those 19's sound a good bargain and just the job to put winters on once the other tyres are worn out of course  :) I did see a similar set locally but Id think they are gone now as it was about 2 weeks ago and I've spent enough recently lol
[/quote]
So I should be ok driving MS and summer together.  Someone said 19s are more expensive than 18s but in the runflats area they both are similar price.
Anyway with all same size winters it should solve my star rated problem with my rears.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:14 am

Do you really need runflats ? Normal winters will be a lot cheaper and I'm not planning going down the runflats route unless they come free on a set of wheels certainly wouldn't pay to make the ride worse ...
Last edited by Leslie on Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

lezmtaylor

Post by lezmtaylor » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:50 am

Just get some Puncturesafe , put in your tyres and punctures are a thing of the past, Ive used for the past 10 years and never had a puncture (well I would not know would I !!)
Have lpg, so donut tank is where spare wheel would be.

Lez
2002. 4.4lpg,ledAE's,Xenons,paddleshift,compass mirror,inst rings,led int lights,rear camera,crystal tailights,eisenmann road exh,Schnitzer pedals,chrome indicators,colour co-ord headlamps & bonnet grilles,hualigim entertainment system.dash and rearcamera,comfort seats.hud,bull bars,engine instalube

AdamsX5

Post by AdamsX5 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:42 pm

[quote="Leslie"]
Do you really need runflats ? Normal winters will be a lot cheaper and I'm not planning going down the runflats route unless they come free on a set of wheels certainly wouldn't pay to make the ride worse ...
[/quote]
I’ll probably swap the runflats to normal at change due to price difference and ride quality. Puncturesafe is a good idea.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:48 pm

If you want to use Puncturesafe they have a calculator to help work out what you need per tyre.

For 20” wheels it’s roughly 700ml (one bottle) per tyre.

Calculator is here....

https://www.puncturesafe.com/puncturesafe-technical.php

AdamsX5

Post by AdamsX5 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:20 pm

[quote="X5Sport"]
If you want to use Puncturesafe they have a calculator to help work out what you need per tyre.

For 20” wheels it’s roughly 700ml (one bottle) per tyre.

Calculator is here....

https://www.puncturesafe.com/puncturesafe-technical.php
[/quote]
Thx I’ll  bear that in mind when I come to change them .