Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Just viewed another E70 with decent spec.

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
Digidick

Re: Just viewed another E70 with decent spec.

Post by Digidick » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:33 pm

I've done exactly that and moved from a 2010 F10 530d Sport and you certainly get more noise, more creaks from the older style trim and plastics and you certainly feel the road more but all this is all nicely different to a boring saloon. Hard to describe without being in my position of now owning both.

AdamsX5

Post by AdamsX5 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:52 pm

[quote="Digidick"]
I've done exactly that and moved from a 2010 F10 530d Sport and you certainly get more noise, more creaks from the older style trim and plastics and you certainly feel the road more but all this is all nicely different to a boring saloon. Hard to describe without being in my position of now owning both.
[/quote]
I will be owning both for some time but the F10 will have to go unfortunately. I just don’t won’t to not be able to make that jump.  The engine didn’t seem as refined as the 525d even though it’s the same N57. Maybe It needs to be worked harder and that’s why it more vocal. With the F10 you just lightly tap gas and your off at speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

graemeX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by graemeX5 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:38 pm

Hi Adam

Seems like you have a bit of a dilemma between the 2011 r4.0d and the better spec'd 2007 3.0d.

Depending on your budget I would say the 4.0d is better, it's newer, more power whether you use it or not, 8 speed, lower road tax, less wear and tear, and better residuals when selling it in 5 years, the X5 it a lot heaviest than your 525 and needs more power to move it.

Also looking at the 3.0d, I would be worried about all the faults you found so far, as it shows the previous owner didn't appear to maintain or fix things when needed. Remember this is what you have found from only an hours inspection and drive etc, the question what else is wrong with it or may not be working

For example, did you check the door mirrors move and heat up and fold and unfold etc, check that both the heated seats get hot as some have found one not working, and the climate control, also all electric windows making sure that work trying them several several times. The pan roof which is faulty and a replacement is costly and a lot of owners won't pay out approx £4K for a replacement fitted by BMW as unit is approx £2.5k alone.

However finding a car with comfort seats is tricky as not many had them, the SE models general have a higher spec.

If you are determined for comfort seats I would wait and find the right car with all the spec you want or need rather than get a car with problems. One owner on here spent over £10k fixing his E70 car so they can be a money pit.

Also worth having a read of the E70 buyers guide comparison it may help you decide what is important for you.

Ps it took me 18 months to find the right car due to spec wanted but I did change the model I was looking for twice during the time, and ended up with a BMW approved car but they do have a better warranty for piece of mind.

Good luck whatever you decide to do :)

Graeme
Now: E70 X5 in Blue, 3 Minis Cooper S R53, JCW R56 & Cooper S Roadster R59 :drive:

Prev: Abarth 595C & 500C, E53 X5 4.4i, E88 135i M Sport, Audi TT Mk1 V6, 3 Smarts, 8 Vauxhalls, 4 Fords, 2 Triumphs, 1 Mini & Bikes

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:15 pm

Id think a pan sunroof would be a liability on an 07 car , its not a matter of if but when it going to break ,( idid want one though but had to do without ! ) I bought an sd and it has plenty of go and Id think the single turbo engine would be working quite hard given the weight of these things .
  You would be better of buying a sport as come resale time an Se and especially a silly tax 2007 Se, as only that year got hammered with the £555 tax will be VERY hard to shift . Mine is a more sensible £315 a year. I have the cream/beige leather and if you keep it fed/treated I'm sure its fine.

Maybe try an sd/35d next ?

AdamsX5

Post by AdamsX5 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:02 pm

[quote="Leslie"]
Id think a pan sunroof would be a liability on an 07 car , its not a matter of if but when it going to break ,( idid want one though but had to do without ! ) I bought an sd and it has plenty of go and Id think the single turbo engine would be working quite hard given the weight of these things .
  You would be better of buying a sport as come resale time an Se and especially a silly tax 2007 Se, as only that year got hammered with the £555 tax will be VERY hard to shift . Mine is a more sensible £315 a year. I have the cream/beige leather and if you keep it fed/treated I'm sure its fine.

Maybe try an sd/35d next ?
[/quote]
Thanks Buddy that’s the most sensible advice.
I think you are well informed. I will stick with the 2011 as Mrs says either stay with you F10 or go for 4.0d as she likes the colour and it’s newer of course .

celica

Post by celica » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:23 pm

I would go with the 40d lci if you could

I’ll enjoy selling mine when time comes as has adaptive drive, 7 seats, comfort seats and more on a 35d ;)

AdamsX5

Post by AdamsX5 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:39 pm

[quote="graemeX5"]
Hi Adam

Seems like you have a bit of a dilemma between the 2011 r4.0d and the better spec'd 2007 3.0d.

Depending on your budget I would say the 4.0d is better, it's newer, more power whether you use it or not, 8 speed, lower road tax, less wear and tear, and better residuals when selling it in 5 years, the X5 it a lot heaviest than your 525 and needs more power to move it.

Also looking at the 3.0d, I would be worried about all the faults you found so far, as it shows the previous owner didn't appear to maintain or fix things when needed. Remember this is what you have found from only an hours inspection and drive etc, the question what else is wrong with it or may not be working

For example, did you check the door mirrors move and heat up and fold and unfold etc, check that both the heated seats get hot as some have found one not working, and the climate control, also all electric windows making sure that work trying them several several times. The pan roof which is faulty and a replacement is costly and a lot of owners won't pay out approx £4K for a replacement fitted by BMW as unit is approx £2.5k alone.

However finding a car with comfort seats is tricky as not many had them, the SE models general have a higher spec.

If you are determined for comfort seats I would wait and find the right car with all the spec you want or need rather than get a car with problems. One owner on here spent over £10k fixing his E70 car so they can be a money pit.

Also worth having a read of the E70 buyers guide comparison it may help you decide what is important for you.

Ps it took me 18 months to find the right car due to spec wanted but I did change the model I was looking for twice during the time, and ended up with a BMW approved car but they do have a better warranty for piece of mind.

Good luck whatever you decide to do [emoji4]

Graeme
[/quote]
Thanks for the informative post. Some good points. I’ve only been looking for 2 months now and expect the right car too soon I guess. I just I’m constantly searching autotrader and then viewing cars which I don’t like and it’s very time consuming and frustrating not been able to find what I want. Then the salesman you have to deal with...,,,
I was thinking of maybe an older car so I could keep my F10 as well in case I can’t make the move up to E70. But Mrs has said got to be one car either F10 or E70 not both.
But will have both for 2-3 months while I sell my F10 so can compare.
It’s hard to find comfort seats on these cars but then they miss other options like pano roof. Anyway if next week dealer sorts the 4.0d out for me I will end my search for good I hope.

mattchubb1

Post by mattchubb1 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:14 pm

[quote="celica"]
I would go with the 40d lci if you could

I’ll enjoy selling mine when time comes as has adaptive drive, 7 seats, comfort seats and more on a 35d ;)
[/quote]

When you looking to sell  ;)

Digidick

Post by Digidick » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:50 am

[quote="AdamsX5"]
[quote="graemeX5"]
Hi Adam

Graeme
[/quote]
Thanks for the informative post. Some good points. I’ve only been looking for 2 months now and expect the right car too soon I guess. I just I’m constantly searching autotrader and then viewing cars which I don’t like and it’s very time consuming and frustrating not been able to find what I want. Then the salesman you have to deal with...,,,
I was thinking of maybe an older car so I could keep my F10 as well in case I can’t make the move up to E70. But Mrs has said got to be one car either F10 or E70 not both.
It’s hard to find comfort seats on these cars but then they miss other options like pano roof. Anyway if next week dealer sorts the 4.0d out for me I will end my search for good I hope.

[/quote]

If you don’t sort it I’d like to tempt you with my 40d. It’s a 2010 and on 103k but it’s got comfort seats, pan roof, cameras, heated front and rear seats, heads up display, 360bhp..... [emoji4]

AdamsX5

Post by AdamsX5 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:54 pm

[quote="Digidick"]
[quote="AdamsX5"]
[quote="graemeX5"]
Hi Adam

Graeme
[/quote]

[/quote]

If you don’t sort it I’d like to tempt you with my 40d. It’s a 2010 and on 103k but it’s got comfort seats, pan roof, cameras, heated front and rear seats, heads up display, 360bhp..... [emoji4]

[/quote]
Nice spec.
I’m wanting something I can put warranty on and higher miles cost a lot with Bmw and warranty direct. Can it be detuned as my insurance is 1.5k for standard one.

Digidick

Post by Digidick » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:07 pm

Yeah it can be put back to standard, not sure on cost as I’ve never done that before.

That reminds me I’ve not told my insurance yet...... oooops!

AdamsX5

Post by AdamsX5 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:41 am

Just an update the dealer rang to say the second key had arrived after I rang holding branch to send it on. Quite happy I now have the spare key. Now to sort Alloy and fault codes. That’s another story.. will see how it pans out. Interestingly I’ve seen an M50d for 23k but not spec I want just an engine to wish for. Still within budget but had it the spec I would have jumped on it. Cost to change would be 14k.

snrbrtsn

Post by snrbrtsn » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:05 pm

I’ll throw mine in for your Perusal

http://xdrivers.co.uk/forum/https://xdr ... 39#p163339

AdamsX5

Post by AdamsX5 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:12 pm

[quote="snrbrtsn"]
I’ll throw mine in for your Perusal

http://xdrivers.co.uk/forum/https://xdr ... 39#p163339
[/
Will pm you

Last edited by AdamsX5 on Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AdamsX5

Post by AdamsX5 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:18 pm

Just had a call from dealer everything is sorted with car. Fixed fault codes and scratches. Also the alloy wheel have been examined and fine. I guess they missed one or photos are wrong. Will see tomorrow when I take delivery.
I having a second test drive as I felt the handling wasn’t great on first. Maybe it was the rears being budget Zeta tyres.