Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

x5 M40d MSport 2011+ - On the Lookout

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
Barroni

Re: x5 M40d MSport 2011+ - On the Lookout

Post by Barroni » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:52 pm

I guess every car is different.  Its a bit like asking if girls are trouble, you will get different story's  :))

I was in a similar position to you and brought a 2011 40D SE Feb 2017.  It was a non BMW garage and came with 3 months warranty.  The car was 1 owner, full BMW SH since new and £64K miles.  Also has Pan roof and the kids open/close it on almost every journey if its not raining. I paid £20,500 and then had the same dilemma as you. Warrant from BMW was £2K which i didnt have nor could afford.  I only do about 5K a year.  Since ownership I have not spent a penny on the car except tyres (£900 for the 4) and servicing.  It costs close to £100 a tank and that lasts me about a month.  I dont think id like to fund an X5 if i was doing high mileage.  I use my local garage as they have looked after every car ive had.  A full service was about £380 - no idea what BMW would have been but considerably more id guess.  In my case I would have not had a penny out of warranty, but I do understand others have paid for their warranties twice over.  I guess it depends on what risk you are comfortable with.  I will probably look to sell mine on after this winter.  I figured I could get quite a bit of work done for £2000 at my local garage should the need a-rise. (fortunately it hasnt).......yet.  The only time its seen a BMW garage is for the recalls.

PencilPot

Post by PencilPot » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:04 am

Hi Barroni

That was a very interesting read, I think as you say im in the exact position you were last year  :)

I like you dont do a massive amout of miles maybe 10'000 at the very most. (But more likely to be half that).
I would like a nice car to do those few miles in comfort  ;) 

I was concerned after spending a potential 16-17K i would get regular warrenty charges or issues that will cause large bills.

It seems this is not the case with everyone despite what i have read on may threads. Maybe people that done have issues dont come on such forums, but its great to get your insight.

May i ask what is making you consider to sell? are you worried something may pop up issue wise. The car seems amazing for most. Its the high risk of unknown potential large bils (which worries me) if indeed it is a high risk. (hence the question)

Thanks to everyone who has given me their experience. It really does help  :thumbup:

Barroni

Post by Barroni » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:07 pm

I wanted an X50D when I brought this one but they were just too expensive at the time.  I have loved my X5 and its just made the urge for the X50D even greater.

My best advice is to make a list of must have's that you will not waiver on. Until I did this I was looking at pages of potential cars though various dealers and websites.  In the end I set myself these if I remember.

Under 75K, FBMWSH, 2 owners max,  X40D, Satnav, Media pack, Pano Roof, folding mirrors, 19inch+ Wheels

At the time the MSports were still a bit pricey and I preferred to have an 40D SE over a 30D MSport. Rather be a wolf in sheeps clothing, than a wolf in sheeps clothing. Not that the 30D is under powered, i just wanted the bigger BHP. Once I was certain of the must have spec my searching quickly eliminated all the 30D's and I was left with a much smaller list.  Automatic boot operation was not on my list but now ive had it I wouldnt be without it. 

Getting a FBMWSH service history was vital to me (even if i knew I would not continue it) hopefully suggests the car has been well looked after and hopefully spent most of its life under warranty. 

in my case the X5 is used as a 2nd car for the nice journeys.  We have a Zafira that is the work horse for the daily family shenanigans.  I wouldnt be too popular using the X5 on the school run  :))