Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

X5(E70) and the snow .

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
Spandex

Re: X5(E70) and the snow .

Post by Spandex » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:02 am

I think the (unpopular) answer to the question "How do these vehicle perform in snow on the M&S tyres" has to be, "the same as any other car on those tyres". Ultimately, the tyres are what governs how well any car will cope in the snow.

The added ground clearance and 4wd will possibly help in certain situations, and the massive weight will be a hindrance in others. But these factors become insignificant when compared to the tyres that you fit.

The upside of that is that any review comparing summers/winters/M&S tyres in the snow will tell you all you need to know, regardless of the car they use for testing.

Chrispy

Post by Chrispy » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:16 pm

[quote="Graeme"]
Well, like many four wheel drive cars it gets away more easily in snow than a 2 wheel drive.  I find on ice, snow tyres are better than all season or summer ones. But, once it starts to slide - sideways or forwards - there's a petty large momentum (mass x velocity) at work and 4 wheel drive won't help there.  It can be frightening skidding sideways or head first towards something! The moral as ever is slow down early, brake and corner gently and plan on a long stopping distance.  As we say in the north east, gan canny!!!

Graeme
[/quote]

This /\ - when we had snow at the start of the year in sunny North Yorkshire it gave me the chance to test it on the Bridgestone Duellers to see how the car fared.  Setting off wasn't an issue as traction was at play but after that and once you have momentum it comes down to grip which is a different thing and the car was difficult to get to stay pointed in the right direction due to its weight.  And stopping was also the same - the car simply went where momentum intended.  So 4WD or not, it boils down to tyres really.
Black 2012 E70 3.0 XDrive M Sport.  7 seats, & tiny 19" wheels.....

AdamsX5

Post by AdamsX5 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:54 pm

[quote="Chrispy"]
[quote="Graeme"]
Well, like many four wheel drive cars it gets away more easily in snow than a 2 wheel drive.  I find on ice, snow tyres are better than all season or summer ones. But, once it starts to slide - sideways or forwards - there's a petty large momentum (mass x velocity) at work and 4 wheel drive won't help there.  It can be frightening skidding sideways or head first towards something! The moral as ever is slow down early, brake and corner gently and plan on a long stopping distance.  As we say in the north east, gan canny!!!

Graeme
[/quote]

This /\ - when we had snow at the start of the year in sunny North Yorkshire it gave me the chance to test it on the Bridgestone Duellers to see how the car fared.  Setting off wasn't an issue as traction was at play but after that and once you have momentum it comes down to grip which is a different thing and the car was difficult to get to stay pointed in the right direction due to its weight.  And stopping was also the same - the car simply went where momentum intended.  So 4WD or not, it boils down to tyres really.
[/quote]
So basically I need those tyres tomorrow. They are Goodyear ultra grip runflats on 19 alloys.
Might even change them soon as my car has staggered and this will sort it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdamsX5

Post by AdamsX5 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:29 pm

[quote="AdamsX5"]
[quote="Chrispy"]
[quote="Graeme"]

Graeme
[/quote]

[/quote]
So basically I need those tyres tomorrow. They are Goodyear ultra grip runflats on 19 alloys.
Might even change them soon as my car has staggered and this will sort it.

[/quote]
Think I’ve lost out on those wheels. They did seem a good price. See if I can find something similar.

lezmtaylor

Post by lezmtaylor » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:04 am

Get a set of 17" wheels and tyres, I paid about £160 for a set of 5 with star rated michelins , with 7mm tread,
nobody wants 17" wheels and they were standard on early x5's, so keep an eye on ebay or this forum.
The 17" wheels are usually a lot narrower than the poser 20's.
I run my car on 17's as the ride is so much more comfortable.

Lez

Jeegnesh has a set of 4 for sale £300, a ''well respected member !!!!'''
Last edited by lezmtaylor on Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
2002. 4.4lpg,ledAE's,Xenons,paddleshift,compass mirror,inst rings,led int lights,rear camera,crystal tailights,eisenmann road exh,Schnitzer pedals,chrome indicators,colour co-ord headlamps & bonnet grilles,hualigim entertainment system.dash and rearcamera,comfort seats.hud,bull bars,engine instalube

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:23 pm

No way 17's will fit an e70 x5 with the size of the brake discs LEZ I'm afraid ,even my old 330d couldn't take less than 17's and it only had 325mm discs. Id think 18's must be very close to the caliper too as later cars had bigger discs 365mm instead of 348mm when I was looking on realoem to see what size mine were but they are listed on the door post so must fit.
Last edited by Leslie on Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CondorX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by CondorX5 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:51 pm

17” will not fit an E70.  The recommended winter set for the 2011 40d is 18” with 255/55R18 tyres all round as per the configurator on BMW site.  I tend to leave mine on for much of the year as the fancy 21” wheels cost a small fortune for new tyres and the ride on the 18s is much softer!
19” will also be suitable although in harsh conditions the 18” winters will outperform 19” wheels.
X5 2005 Le Mans Blue 4.8is
Fully loaded but Now semi-retired! 

X5 2012 Alpine White 40d MSport 21" style 215 black alloys, rear entertainment, media package, comfort seats and a load of other options.

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Post by pvr » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:53 pm

I have not found winter wheels for the M, as they need to be 20" as well.

I really don't fancy the dealer prices though ...  :'(
X5M F85,  Golf Clipper, Abarth 595 Competizioni, Jeep

911 50th anniversary -
Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

AdamsX5

Post by AdamsX5 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:10 pm

[quote="lezmtaylor"]
Get a set of 17" wheels and tyres, I paid about £160 for a set of 5 with star rated michelins , with 7mm tread,
nobody wants 17" wheels and they were standard on early x5's, so keep an eye on ebay or this forum.
The 17" wheels are usually a lot narrower than the poser 20's.
I run my car on 17's as the ride is so much more comfortable.

Lez

Jeegnesh has a set of 4 for sale £300, a ''well respected member !!!!'''
[/quote]
Surprisingly I find the 20s comfortable. That’s because my 5er has runflats and needs the VDC for a good ride and I’m used to feeling the bumps in the road. Not sure how the 19s will feel when I put them on in November.
I also notice that on bumpy roads the car steering does get thrown off but ok otherwise, had a 40 mile drive to Harrogate Bmw and back through Yorkshire countryside roads and it handled well for a big car. No match for the F10 which you can practically throw around and it behaves.
Averaged below 30 mpg even at 50-60mph. Lots of slow driving though thru traffic.

I think 19s will suit the car and because I tend to stick with winters for a while before I change them it won’t spoil the look with anything smaller.