Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

X5(E70) and the snow .

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
AdamsX5

X5(E70) and the snow .

Post by AdamsX5 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:37 pm

Just collected my vehicle today and after spending money on warranty, insurance and the car ,I’m now thinking of preparations for winter.  How do these vehicle perform in snow on the M&S tyres equipped R20s. What’s everyone experience? Don’t want to shell out another 1k for 4 weeks of snow if I don’t have to. I do have spare  winter 18 wheels for the 7 series but not sure about fitment. The offsets are different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

majordamage069

Re: X5(E70) and the snow .

Post by majordamage069 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:23 pm

not very good last january in wales till two tractors turned up. it was a two foot deep drift tho.

AdamsX5

Post by AdamsX5 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:33 pm

[quote="majordamage069"]
not very good last january in wales till two tractors turned up. it was a two foot deep drift tho.
[/quote]
Generally in a few inches of snow a lot of cars struggle. How does the X5 perform. Seen YouTube videos saying it performs ok in snow. What do owners out there think. Would they venture out in non-winter tyres?

Graeme

Post by Graeme » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:48 pm

Well, like many four wheel drive cars it gets away more easily in snow than a 2 wheel drive.  I find on ice, snow tyres are better than all season or summer ones. But, once it starts to slide - sideways or forwards - there's a petty large momentum (mass x velocity) at work and 4 wheel drive won't help there.  It can be frightening skidding sideways or head first towards something! The moral as ever is slow down early, brake and corner gently and plan on a long stopping distance.  As we say in the north east, gan canny!!!

Graeme

Horizon
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Horizon » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:52 pm

[quote="AdamsX5"]
Just collected my vehicle today and after spending money on warranty, insurance and the car ,I’m now thinking of preparations for winter.  How do these vehicle perform in snow on the M&S tyres equipped R20s. What’s everyone experience? Don’t want to shell out another 1k for 4 weeks of snow if I don’t have to. I do have spare  winter 18 wheels for the 7 series but not sure about fitment. The offsets are different.

[/quote]
If you type snow into the forum search tab, you will see hundreds of posts relating to snow tyres , winter performance etc. Happy reading
2011 Kia Sorento KX3  2.2D 60 Plate Auto in black ( mine )
BMW E83 X3.  3.0d M Sport, 2008 in black ( now gone )
BMW E93 330i Convertible  Msport  2007.  ( Now sold )
VW Golf 2.0 TDI 140 GT 2010 ( now sold )
Now Sold 55 plate, X5, 3.0 D Sport. Silv

AdamsX5

Post by AdamsX5 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:51 pm

[quote="Horizon"]
[quote="AdamsX5"]

[/quote]
If you type snow into the forum search tab, you will see hundreds of posts relating to snow tyres , winter performance etc. Happy reading
[/quote]
Thanks interesting read.

lezmtaylor

Post by lezmtaylor » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:21 am

Also have a read of ''Snow socks'', I have a set I keep in the car for 'just in case', have never used them, not sure how you put them on even.
Should utube them and have a look.

Lez
2002. 4.4lpg,ledAE's,Xenons,paddleshift,compass mirror,inst rings,led int lights,rear camera,crystal tailights,eisenmann road exh,Schnitzer pedals,chrome indicators,colour co-ord headlamps & bonnet grilles,hualigim entertainment system.dash and rearcamera,comfort seats.hud,bull bars,engine instalube

Glen

Post by Glen » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:33 am

Lez just pull them over your feet half way up your legs then fold them over wellies  :P
seriously though these cars will slide in the snow .
2012 X5 40d msport Mine now gone :(
2010 320d convertible WIFE'S
2006 Mini cooper convertible WIFE'S gone
2017 X5 m50d m performance pack

lezmtaylor

Post by lezmtaylor » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:40 am

[quote="Glen"]
Lez just pull them over your feet half way up your legs then fold them over wellies  :P
seriously though these cars will slide in the snow .
[/quote]Glen, Of course, the obvious, also I would not dream of taking my car out in the snow.
That is what public transport is for , plus the OAP bus pass.

Lez
2002. 4.4lpg,ledAE's,Xenons,paddleshift,compass mirror,inst rings,led int lights,rear camera,crystal tailights,eisenmann road exh,Schnitzer pedals,chrome indicators,colour co-ord headlamps & bonnet grilles,hualigim entertainment system.dash and rearcamera,comfort seats.hud,bull bars,engine instalube

marti

Post by marti » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:50 am

My X6 was okay in the last snow we had, however always use manual gears and pull away in 2nd or 3rd...old 7 series I had with only rear drive performed just as well....

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:43 am

On standard rubber (20” wheel set with Bridgestone) my X6 isn’t bad in the snow but ice can make it very twitchy!

I do have a set of winter wheels (19” staggered w/Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow) and they do make a significant difference on both ice and compressed snow.  I can drive with a little more confidence in where the car will go and how it behaves, but these cars weight 2T+ so you need to be a little circumspect with some manoeuvres or the car will ‘twitch’ :)
Last edited by X5Sport on Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

AdamsX5

Post by AdamsX5 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:22 pm

[quote="X5Sport"]
On standard rubber (20” wheel set with Bridgestone) my X6 isn’t bad in the snow but ice can make it very twitchy!

I do have a set of winter wheels (19” staggered w/Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow) and they do make a significant difference on both ice and compressed snow.  I can drive with a little more confidence in where the car will go and how it behaves, but these cars weight 2T+ so you need to be a little circumspect with some manoeuvres or the car will ‘twitch’ :)
[/quote]
My F10 On summer conti’s was bad so changed to Pirelli sotto zeros. However the Bridgestone are M&S and so are the rears so will probably see how it does and will be on the hunt for a cheap set after I sell my Pirelli’s 18s.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:37 pm

I know that feeling with our E46!!  Prefers to go backwards in any kind of frosty conditions and it isn’t allowed out in snow.....ever. :drive:
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

CondorX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by CondorX5 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:21 am

Winter tyres may look small and puny and lack street cred, but they are wonderful in cold wet weather as well as snow - I have used them for the past 10 years and wouldn’t be without them, I do long cross country journeys in all weathers and the X5 becomes a very capable 4x4 with winter wheels,  which it certainly is not with the wide summer sleds fitted!
X5 2005 Le Mans Blue 4.8is
Fully loaded but Now semi-retired! 

X5 2012 Alpine White 40d MSport 21" style 215 black alloys, rear entertainment, media package, comfort seats and a load of other options.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:20 pm

Having had winters on my e46 for years Id say they are awesome in snow, you generally won't get stuck but tread depth is a huge part of that , really winters are spent at 4mm depth ,they can't flex the tread blocks anymore to aid grip so are much less effective.
  I was looking around for some wheels to put winters on , some of those smaller e70 wheels are seriously bad looking  but the later cars had some nice 19 options and hardly anybody wants 19's nowadays so they should be cheap too. :)