Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

VHC at dealership

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
Nictrix

Re: VHC at dealership

Post by Nictrix » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:30 pm

Picked up front discs, pads and sensor from BMW today and the price went down slightly to £391.

AdamsX5

Post by AdamsX5 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:31 am

Just an update
The ford dealer said that it would be ok for me to drive with full pads even though discs were just below minimum 1mm.
He said the pads were bedded to discs and it would be pointless to change them now and to wait till pads wear out. Then change all at once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:31 pm

Not an unreasonable statement.  :)
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

AdamsX5

Post by AdamsX5 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:57 pm

[quote="X5Sport"]
Not an unreasonable statement.  :)
[/quote]
I’m glad I can put off this till pads wear out. Need to keep my eye on them as I don’t do many miles.
Sent email anyway if selling dealer can sort all the better.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:17 pm

I got my front discs and pads changed today , the state of the inside of the discs was much worse that the out side where about 1/2 inch at the outer edge where the pads didn't touch and more and one of the inner pads had started to separate from its backing !
They where overdue a change Id say , got the brake fluid changed as well , 1 Litre was enough and reset the front brake countdown when I got home ,31,000 miles to next pads  8)

AdamsX5

Post by AdamsX5 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:06 am

[quote="Leslie"]
I got my front discs and pads changed today , the state of the inside of the discs was much worse that the out side where about 1/2 inch at the outer edge where the pads didn't touch and more and one of the inner pads had started to separate from its backing !
They where overdue a change Id say , got the brake fluid changed as well , 1 Litre was enough and reset the front brake countdown when I got home ,31,000 miles to next pads  8)
[/quote]
Mine has a slight raised bevellled edge is upper lip in outside. Can’t see until they get taken off the other side. Might get brake fluid changed if it’s due as I’m having oil change tomorrow.
Any other fluids need sorting at 70k miles?

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:24 pm

Mine were clearly well worn looking at the outside so yours are likely totally fine,as for other servicing I'm not sure ,I'm new to x5 ownership too .Oil and brake fluid are the main ones everything else is supposed to be lifetime but as we all know  lifetime means 3 years 60k at the dealers.

AdamsX5

Post by AdamsX5 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:58 pm

[quote="Leslie"]
Mine were clearly well worn looking at the outside so yours are likely totally fine,as for other servicing I'm not sure ,I'm new to x5 ownership too .Oil and brake fluid are the main ones everything else is supposed to be lifetime but as we all know  lifetime means 3 years 60k at the dealers.
[/quote]
I was thinking of differential oil and transfer box oil if that needs servicing and how often at what mileage ?

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:36 pm

I don't know if there is even a spec but Id be more interested in getting the Autobox oil and filter changed if I was going to do anything ,think its 60k intervals now mines on 129k so a tad late unless its been done already but I doubt it.
Changing the oil in a diff won't stop it failing if its gonna fail unless there is no oil in it ! , the couple I've seen pictures off it looked like the housing for the planet gears had split possibly due to something coming loose and jamming in the gears maybe a bolt (only guessing though) ...