Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

VHC at dealership

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
AdamsX5

VHC at dealership

Post by AdamsX5 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:40 pm

Going for my first VHC tomorrow since I bought the car Friday. See what issues are found. Hoping if serious then car selling dealer will sort.
Will ask them about prop shaft too and if it’s been actually changed to new one on recall.
Other than that hope all is ok and no big expense as I’m out after buying outright. Just need to sell my F10 now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

graemeX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: VHC at dealership

Post by graemeX5 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:35 am

Hi

Hopefully it should be okay but they will check a lot of things.

The important thing to remember is to make sure you know if the propshaft has been replaced if it was needed or at least it's been checked and confirmed it's okay.

Graeme
Now: E70 X5 in Blue, 3 Minis Cooper S R53, JCW R56 & Cooper S Roadster R59 :drive:

Prev: Abarth 595C & 500C, E53 X5 4.4i, E88 135i M Sport, Audi TT Mk1 V6, 3 Smarts, 8 Vauxhalls, 4 Fords, 2 Triumphs, 1 Mini & Bikes

AdamsX5

Post by AdamsX5 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:13 am

[quote="graemeX5"]
Hi

The important thing to remember is to make sure you know if the propshaft has been replaced if it was needed or at least it's been checked and confirmed it's okay.

Graeme
[/quote]
I thought it was a full recall now. To replace and not to check ? Is that right?

AdamsX5

Post by AdamsX5 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:05 pm

[quote="AdamsX5"]
[quote="graemeX5"]
Hi

Graeme
[/quote]
I thought it was a full recall now. To replace and not to check ? Is that right?

[/quote]
He confirmed it was done. But couldn’t say if it was replaced. He says it’s a QE check. I sure I read it was a recall

AdamsX5

Post by AdamsX5 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:23 pm

At the stealership. Hope they don’t find anything wrong.Image

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:09 pm

It’s a QE check in the UK and the EU but other parts of the world (with stricter safety rules around faults) have it as a recall.  If I remember rightly is was picked from a recall notice in Hong Kong.  ;)
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

AdamsX5

VHC at dealership

Post by AdamsX5 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:09 pm

Just had VHC check back.
Needs front and rear discs and pads. Quoted £1000 from dealer.
They are at minimum he said although pads ok but stuck to discs .. so if he replaces disks then will need new pads too.
How much would this cost at normal garages?
Any rough ideas before I start ringing around.
What make should I go for?
All rest ok including suspension , oil , fluids and tyres. Min thread is 5.5mm on front drivers rest all new.
Propshaft was done.
Wipers need sorting and I asked about goodwill bmw regarding rear wheel arches. He never heard of it and said goodwill was for 5year old cars only.

Last edited by AdamsX5 on Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:14 pm

Depends upon where you live but a decent Indy will be about half to two thirds.

It is a diy job if you know what you are doing with a trolley jack and spanner’s.  Ikve just changed both front discs, one front caliper and pads for front & rear.

Parts came from Eurocarparts as they often have a discount code running.  I used Pagid for all parts as they match OEM.  Took me about half a day, but any any garage will do it in a couple of hours.

AdamsX5

Post by AdamsX5 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:27 pm

[quote="X5Sport"]
Depends upon where you live but a decent Indy will be about half to two thirds.

It is a diy job if you know what you are doing with a trolley jack and spanner’s.  Ikve just changed both front discs, one front caliper and pads for front & rear.

Parts came from Eurocarparts as they often have a discount code running.  I used Pagid for all parts as they match OEM.  Took me about half a day, but any any garage will do it in a couple of hours.
[/quote]
I’m going to ask the Ford dealer who did my service on Bmw for £140(oil and air filter) last year. Otherwise will order parts and get local garage to put them on. Will keep receipts. Warranty doesn’t cover these anyway so no need for vat reg garage I guess.

AdamsX5

Post by AdamsX5 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:33 pm

For parts it’s coming to around £300 for parts for front and rear disks and pads. Eicher seems cheaper on both. Is Pagid worth the extra?

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:27 pm

Flash brake discs and pads sale in from 1900 to 2100 tonight (17/10/18) !  50% off  Code FLASH 50

If OEM is Pagid then that should answer your question.  Your brakes and tyres are all that stands between you and a collision.

Tech instructions here: https://www.newtis.info

It’s a copy of the Dealer technical instruction suite and spot on.
Last edited by X5Sport on Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nictrix

Post by Nictrix » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:20 pm

From BMW, front discs, pads and sensor are £399 supplied only.
I have just ordered these for mine as I am fed up with the vibration when braking on the motorway.
At the moment I have Brembo discs and pads from ECP and talking to different garages about the problem they dont rate parts from ECP and say that they are experiencing problems like what I have on quite a lot of cars after using parts from ECP.
It doesnt make sense to me.

AdamsX5

Post by AdamsX5 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:41 pm

[quote="Nictrix"]
From BMW, front discs, pads and sensor are £399 supplied only.
I have just ordered these for mine as I am fed up with the vibration when braking on the motorway.
At the moment I have Brembo discs and pads from ECP and talking to different garages about the problem they dont rate parts from ECP and say that they are experiencing problems like what I have on quite a lot of cars after using parts from ECP.
It doesnt make sense to me.
[/quote]
That’s just for front?

AdamsX5

Post by AdamsX5 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:46 pm

[quote="X5Sport"]
Flash brake discs and pads sale in from 1900 to 2100 tonight (17/10/18) !  50% off  Code FLASH 50

If OEM is Pagid then that should answer your question.  Your brakes and tyres are all that stands between you and a collision.

Tech instructions here: https://www.newtis.info

It’s a copy of the Dealer technical instruction suite and spot on.
[/quote]
Ordered thanks for the code.
Pagid all around pads and all.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:49 pm

@Nictrix - ECP are the supplier/warehouse, not the manufacturer.  The only difference between buying from BMW and Pagid  (or Textar) is the box - and the price.

Were these alleged bad ECP parts OEM equivalent, or cheap alternatives the garage used that didn’t hold up in service so the owners came back for rework meaning someone had to put the right parts on at their own expense?  Not exactly a scientific or supportable reason for not using ECP.  You could say the same about any motor factors.  Were the garages seeing diy as a threat to their business so poo-pooing any suggestion that going there was good perhaps?  Not saying you are wrong, or they are wrong, just it rings slightly hollow maybe?

Personally I have never experienced bad parts from them but I only use OEM equivalents and always follow the different car manufacturers fitting instructions.  I don’t work for them, and I have to say their on-line service is simply awful, but the parts themselves are fine (so far).