Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

X5 E70 rpm in cold start

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
Rock007

X5 E70 rpm in cold start

Post by Rock007 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:29 am

Hi newbie here.

I recently bought a bmw x5 e70 2009 3.0sd.
When i start my car up in the morning the rpm is just over 500 mark, i would say 550 to 600 and was wondering if thats normal.

And my mpg looks quite low around 17 to 18 mpg.

Where as my last car which was an audi a6 every time i started my car up in the morning the rpm use to be around 1000 then drop to 800 after a few minutes.

AdamsX5

Re: X5 E70 rpm in cold start

Post by AdamsX5 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:29 pm

Mines around 700-800 if it’s cold but drops lower when it warms up.
Could it be the ICV idle control valve?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chrispy

Post by Chrispy » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:37 am

The 3.0 does seem to have a pretty low idle speed (think you can get away with it on a straight 6 as my old 320i used to be the same and the smoothness hid any inherent lumpyness as a result of cold running), however the glowplug control modules on these things always fail and result in more difficulty starting in cold weather and poorer MPG too.  Also they are involved in DPF regens - mine did a hell of a regen when I got the module replaced....never seen a white exhaust haze like it......

The part (made by Beru) is available on ebay for about £100 and is plug and play, located under the intake manifold of the engine.  Can be a bit fiddly depending on exactly what year your car/ engine is and if you have alien fingers or not.....

Do you have any fault codes logged?  The aforementioned module on mine did flag up a code when it was kaput.
Black 2012 E70 3.0 XDrive M Sport.  7 seats, & tiny 19" wheels.....

AdamsX5

Post by AdamsX5 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:11 am

[quote="Chrispy"]
The 3.0 does seem to have a pretty low idle speed (think you can get away with it on a straight 6 as my old 320i used to be the same and the smoothness hid any inherent lumpyness as a result of cold running), however the glowplug control modules on these things always fail and result in more difficulty starting in cold weather and poorer MPG too.  Also they are involved in DPF regens - mine did a hell of a regen when I got the module replaced....never seen a white exhaust haze like it......

The part (made by Beru) is available on ebay for about £100 and is plug and play, located under the intake manifold of the engine.  Can be a bit fiddly depending on exactly what year your car/ engine is and if you have alien fingers or not.....

Do you have any fault codes logged?  The aforementioned module on mine did flag up a code when it was kaput.
[/quote]
What code was that as I have one on mine but had a regeneration last week as soot levels went down.

Chrispy

Post by Chrispy » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:19 am

Not sure on the specific code (will need to look through the BMW receipt as it was found when my new parking brake controller was being fitted).  It definitely flagged up as something like "Glowplug Control Module Fault" though and BMW wanted about £350 to sort it...... I did it for half that with the eBay part and an hour at a local garage.
Black 2012 E70 3.0 XDrive M Sport.  7 seats, & tiny 19" wheels.....

AdamsX5

Post by AdamsX5 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:56 am

Mine just reads
LIN bus communication
0049A6
No mention of glow plug module fault.

Rock007

Post by Rock007 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:54 pm

[quote="AdamsX5"]
Mines around 700-800 if it’s cold but drops lower when it warms up.
Could it be the ICV idle control valve?

[/quote]

Adamsx5 thanks ill get it checked out by my mechanic.

Rock007

Post by Rock007 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:08 pm

[quote="Chrispy"]

[/quote

Hi chrispy i don't have any fault codes on aforementioned.
And how do i know when the car is going through a dpf regen.
On my audi i could tell because the car use to drive differently and the rev use to go to 1000 and when it couldn't do a proper regen the dpf light use to come on.
Then i had to take it on a motorway run for about half an hour on low gear to clear the dpf light off.

And also i notice lots of black smoke on hard acceleration on my x5.
Could that be normal for diesel.

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:28 am

That 0049A6 LIN bus communication error is the controller.
It's dead and won't talk to the ecu.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:44 pm

Unless you live in central London 17 mpg sounds really bad but it all depends on the driving ...mind does 27 to 30 with mixed driving.