Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Winter/All Season tyres

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
XP3NNY

Winter/All Season tyres

Post by XP3NNY » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:46 am

Hey everyone,

I’m after some advice on winter/all seasons tyres (I’ve search the forum, but I’m still unsure).

I currently have 255/50/19 front and 285/45/19 back – these are on the original BMW Y Spoke 335 style wheels. My car is E70 SE.

I would like to purchase winter/all seasons tyres, but I’m not sure about the correct size to fit my wheels (I know about the * and RFT). The sticker on the door frame is very confusing to read and RealOEM data shows different tyre sizes to the once that I already have so I’m stuck.

Do all 4 tyres needs to be the same size for winter/all season tyres? What size?

Any advice and recommendations please?

Thanks,

Lyons

Re: Winter/All Season tyres

Post by Lyons » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:22 am

You can still have winter tyres in those sizes, I had them on my standard E53 staggered wheels in that size. However, theres no doubt that 255/50/19 all round would be better for snow/ice rather than the wider rears.

I have staggered 19's on my E70, but just bought a set of non staggered style 211 winter wheels and tyres on ebay with 255/50/19 all round. They cost me £350 (Goodyear Ultragrip with 7mm left), and I plan on selling my current 19's.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:06 am

If you are using your old wheels then you need to fit the same sizes back on as you had before,you can only fit the same width tyres front and back if the wheels are the same width to start with.

XP3NNY

Post by XP3NNY » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:40 am

Thanks guys, so I have to stick with 255/50 front and 285/45 back :( Any recommendations?

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:09 pm

If you could find another pair of fronts then assuming they fit ok then you could run the same tyres all round.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:42 pm

I have Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow RFT ‘*’ on mine at present, however at 8 years old they need replacing. I am still trying to find the rear size in any ‘*’ approved type without success. I may have to use either MO (Mercedes Original) or AO (Audi Original) as I believe these are also matched size wise for different axle pairs.

The alternative is to buy non-RFT and either carry an inflator kit, or use Puncturesafe (or a similar product).

My local supplier has now been looking for the correct tyres for over two weeks now.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

XP3NNY

Post by XP3NNY » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:46 am

X5Sport wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:42 pm I have Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow RFT ‘*’ on mine at present, however at 8 years old they need replacing. I am still trying to find the rear size in any ‘*’ approved type without success. I may have to use either MO (Mercedes Original) or AO (Audi Original) as I believe these are also matched size wise for different axle pairs.

The alternative is to buy non-RFT and either carry an inflator kit, or use Puncturesafe (or a similar product).

My local supplier has now been looking for the correct tyres for over two weeks now.
Ideally I would just go with all season tyres with * and RFT chi are approved, but can't find any in my current sizes. Looks like BMW really prefer you to have summer and winter sets with different rims as well ...

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:04 pm

2 sets of wheels is the ideal way and really the only sensible way , runflats don't like being taken on and off rims twice a year .You should be able to pick up a smaller set of wheels cheaply enough and they maybe even have winter tyres already on them, 18's are the smallest for an e70 and few want them .

bobgolden

Post by bobgolden » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:23 pm

Separate wheels makes it less likely that you’ll damage the alloys or tyres when they get swapped over.

The 18” rims with winter tyres perform really well and the extra tyre wall makes the ride even more compliant.