Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E70 LCI STOLEN !

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
Horizon
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: E70 LCI STOLEN !

Post by Horizon » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:27 pm

I'm also saddened to hear that your X5 was stolen, The X5 always seems to top the list most years , as the most stolen car on our roads.
As mentioned in this thread, the car manufacturers don't seem to be overly bothered about making their cars secure enough to determine thieves.
The trouble with car security/ technology is that the professional criminals have access to the equipment to overcome all their attempts to Foil them.
As for storing the keys information on the ECU 😳 No medals for that idea.
As not relevant in the OP case, but even more ridiculous is keyless entry 😡😡😡
Makes the crook locks from the 1990's look advanced.

bubbabear

Post by bubbabear » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:51 pm

Update : my insurer paid out 4.5k above we buy any car valuation so i am pleased with the settlement. The issue is that in the SWxx London postcode german SUVs are disappearing like hot cakes during the night. One family lost their Q5 last month only to have their replacement vehicle stolen (LR Discovery) in the same month!! Overall my E70 X5 was like marmite a love and hate relationship. Why i hear you say ? Well for the following 6 reasons:

1. X5 xdrive30d purchased from John Clark Aberdeen at 3 yrs old and 40K clock - rear axle was covered in corrosion with transfer box knackered. DO NOT DISTANCE BUY A CAR EVER AGAIN!
2. Air suspension failed at year 4 - disappointing when my E39 touring managed 100K before one failed.
3. Propshaft snapped after being inspected at main dealer and told it was safe.
4. BMW Coopers Thames Ditton replaced 4x 20” 333m alloys under warranty but overtightened the nuts so 2 yrs later another dealer has to drill out the bolts - covered under warranty (goodwill) after i refused to pay.
5. Rear sensor air suspension failed - another warranty claim + some window trim replaced for paint bubbling.
6. BMW warranty - very generous and covered everything above except the air spring since warranty had expired. Bmw quoted £1400 , local garage used aerosus parts & labour total £500).

Oveall i loved the command driving position and the comfort seats were divine as was the smooth acceleration and 8 speed gearbox offset by poor reliability which i did not encounter in my previous beamers (E39 touring and E46) So now i need a 7 seater with good size boot so i am looking for a Ford S Max so a BIG THANK YOU to the MODS and everyone who has contributed to all of my posts on xdrivers for the past 3 years.

Don Coffey
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Don Coffey » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:14 am

Horizon wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:27 pm I'm also saddened to hear that your X5 was stolen, .
As not relevant in the OP case, but even more ridiculous is keyless entry 😡😡😡
Makes the crook locks from the 1990's look advanced.
Interestingly, I think BMW are only to aware of the shortfalls of the Keyless Entry. My car is an ex Management car and although very well specced, I was surprised at the time to see no Keyless Entry. It was an option missing from other ex management cars I looked at!! Speaks volumes!!

Don

Don Coffey
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Don Coffey » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:22 am

bubbabear wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:51 pm Update : my insurer paid out 4.5k above we buy any car valuation so i am pleased with the settlement. The issue is that in the SWxx London postcode german SUVs are disappearing like hot cakes during the night. One family lost their Q5 last month only to have their replacement vehicle stolen (LR Discovery) in the same month!! Overall my E70 X5 was like marmite a love and hate relationship. Why i hear you say ? Well for the following 6 reasons:

1. X5 xdrive30d purchased from John Clark Aberdeen at 3 yrs old and 40K clock - rear axle was covered in corrosion with transfer box knackered. DO NOT DISTANCE BUY A CAR EVER AGAIN!
2. Air suspension failed at year 4 - disappointing when my E39 touring managed 100K before one failed.
3. Propshaft snapped after being inspected at main dealer and told it was safe.
4. BMW Coopers Thames Ditton replaced 4x 20” 333m alloys under warranty but overtightened the nuts so 2 yrs later another dealer has to drill out the bolts - covered under warranty (goodwill) after i refused to pay.
5. Rear sensor air suspension failed - another warranty claim + some window trim replaced for paint bubbling.
6. BMW warranty - very generous and covered everything above except the air spring since warranty had expired. Bmw quoted £1400 , local garage used aerosus parts & labour total £500).

Oveall i loved the command driving position and the comfort seats were divine as was the smooth acceleration and 8 speed gearbox offset by poor reliability which i did not encounter in my previous beamers (E39 touring and E46) So now i need a 7 seater with good size boot so i am looking for a Ford S Max so a BIG THANK YOU to the MODS and everyone who has contributed to all of my posts on xdrivers for the past 3 years.
It will be a shame to see you leave, especially after the hassle and annoyance of having your car stolen. A satisfactory payout by your insurance company is certainly an unexpected silver lining. It’ll be interesting to see how you get on with the S Max. I had a very bad experience with a previous X5, and my answer was to get a Honda CRV. Had it for five years with absolutely no issues what so ever, but although I couldn’t fault it, as soon as I tried out another BMW, it just felt so much better and I found myself back in the BMW fold and thankfully without any issues 🤞🏻

I must say that although you have had some issues, as you’ve acknowledged, BMW have stood by you in most cases.

All the best for the future and good luck.

Don