Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Does this sound ok/price first time buyer

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
phil67

Does this sound ok/price first time buyer

Post by phil67 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:35 pm

Been looking at this and after doing a search, its had five owners, good mileage but doesn't mention service history.

Whats your opinion/thoughts for a first time buyer?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified ... red&page=1

Don Coffey
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Does this sound ok/price first time buyer

Post by Don Coffey » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:43 pm

Looks like a nice example. Price wise I’m not too sure without doing some research but I’m sure you’ve done loads. It does say under the main heading that it has a full service history (FSH), although I can’t see where it says it’s had 5 previous owners.

Don

phil67

Post by phil67 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:46 pm

Thanks for the reply

I done a hpi check on it, as interested, its also had 6 number plate changes with the last owner having it 3 years with a plate registration G4HAM

The other cars he has advertised it is also placed in the detail, so maybe could be an error on this advert and like the top it does have fsh

The dealer is only offering a 30 warranty on engine and gearbox, and the mot history indicates it may have the inside tyre wear problem

Don Coffey
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Don Coffey » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:56 pm

phil67 wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:46 pm Thanks for the reply

I done a hpi check on it, as interested, its also had 6 number plate changes with the last owner having it 3 years with a plate registration G4HAM

The other cars he has advertised it is also placed in the detail, so maybe could be an error on this advert and like the top it does have fsh

The dealer is only offering a 30 warranty on engine and gearbox, and the mot history indicates it may have the inside tyre wear problem
A lot of owners will put cherished plates on, so that could be as little as three owners. The warranty is surprisingly short, unless that car is priced very low for its year and spec. Ask about increasing the warranty as part of any negotiations. Look for signs of the car having done more miles than advertised, as its possible the car has been clocked (another reason for a short warranty) I find the steering wheel is a good indication. A car with 61k should have very little sign of wear and tear on the steering wheel.

It’s possible to check previous MOTs to help verify the mileage and a good look overs the history is a must.

Good luck with the hunt.

Don

phil67

Post by phil67 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:06 pm

Thanks Don

According to the mot mileage, it looks ok.

I was thinking about a Range Rover Sport, but while this may not have all the toys like a fridge, it is £200 cheaper on road tax, but £150 more than Range Rover to insure and they don't appear to have all of the issues like the Range Rover.

Only downside I can see is the roof height for the dog, but there is deffo more room than my Astra hatch lol

phil67

Post by phil67 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:06 pm

Thanks Don

According to the mot mileage, it looks ok.

I was thinking about a Range Rover Sport, but while this may not have all the toys like a fridge, it is £200 cheaper on road tax, but £150 more than Range Rover to insure and they don't appear to have all of the issues like the Range Rover.

Only downside I can see is the roof height for the dog, but there is deffo more room than my Astra hatch lol

Jayx5

Post by Jayx5 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:01 pm

seems a lot of money to me, the low mileage is good but it's lacking on options, not even heated seats, I paid £10250 about 6 weeks ago for my 2010 30d se (dynamic pack) with fbmwsh and over £13k of options when new and a set of winter alloys. There are plenty out there, maybe buy private and buy an aftermarket warranty?

marti

Post by marti » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:25 am

If it has been clocked there will be a tamper DOT illuminated next to the mileage...its a very small DOT but indicates its been clocked or a replacement binnacle fitted (not by dealer) the DOT cannot be removed once activated....

Don Coffey
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Don Coffey » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:33 am

marti wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:25 am If it has been clocked there will be a tamper DOT illuminated next to the mileage...its a very small DOT but indicates its been clocked or a replacement binnacle fitted (not by dealer) the DOT cannot be removed once activated....
Interesting to know. I looked at a Z4 last year that had 60k on the clock but the seats and steering wheel looked more like 150k the service history was very iffy as well, all independents and at exactly 18k, 36k and 54k!! I walked away but knowing about the dot could have helped me confirm my suspicions.

Don

marti

Post by marti » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:56 am

Don Coffey wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:33 am
marti wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:25 am If it has been clocked there will be a tamper DOT illuminated next to the mileage...its a very small DOT but indicates its been clocked or a replacement binnacle fitted (not by dealer) the DOT cannot be removed once activated....
Interesting to know. I looked at a Z4 last year that had 60k on the clock but the seats and steering wheel looked more like 150k the service history was very iffy as well, all independents and at exactly 18k, 36k and 54k!! I walked away but knowing about the dot could have helped me confirm my suspicions.

Don
BM have had this feature for years....I always look for it when buying a BM

AdamsX5

Post by AdamsX5 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:07 pm

You learn something every day.
Thx

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:40 am

I changed the clocks on my car and got the red dot.
With PA-soft 1.4.0 and 10 minutes of my time i have no dot now.

AdamsX5

Post by AdamsX5 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:05 am

I suppose anyone who goes to length of changing mileage with go that extra mile to sort dot out.(no pun intended)

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:30 am

AdamsX5 wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:05 am I suppose anyone who goes to length of changing mileage with go that extra mile to sort dot out.(no pun intended)
The dot was the easy bit lol mileage is another storey.
But i had only you-tube to help as i know nothing about coding.

Digidick

Post by Digidick » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:56 pm

What’s your budget? Are you local to that garage? I’m also in Derbyshire and have a 2010 40d in that colour combo that I could be tempted to sell for a bit more, great spec also.