Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Update the sat nav on CCC drive

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
Jamee

Update the sat nav on CCC drive

Post by Jamee » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:36 pm

Been looking at updating the satnav disc to a later version to get full 7 digit postcode etc, and came across this on ebay, anyone bought such disc and they work?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-BMW- ... :rk:5:pf:0

Jamee

Re: Update the sat nav on CCC drive

Post by Jamee » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:43 pm

Listing states 100% and he's sold 992 of them so hopefully decent and honest. Not having the full postcode entry is pants to be fair. Id like to update the complete system but unfortunately haven't got a spare £400-500 lol

XP3NNY

Post by XP3NNY » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:53 pm

I've updated my Sat nav (CIC) about month ago - bought it off eBay (guy selling it is member of X5 facebook group). Downloaded the files from guy's dropbox, put it in on USB followed instruction and it was done. I've paid ~£40. I believe that you also need genuine BMW FSC Security code in order to complete the installation - this is linked to your VIN number and the guy provided it for me as a part of the sale.
BMW X5 40D SE // 2010

ssrfr03

Post by ssrfr03 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:52 am

Yes I brought one on eBay last year but for some reason it don’t like the cold weather I have to keep taking the disk out and putting it back in first thing on a cold morning never did that with my old disk ??

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:53 am

Factory discs (music, movie and data) are pressed in a mould whereas copy discs are burned by a laser. These are unreliable in different weather conditions as the pits can change or the disc shape alter just enough to cause the laser read head to lose lock.

It’s common with CD-R and even more so with DVD-R (smaller pits) and is why anyone creating discs should always use the slowest available speed because the laser burns a bigger/deeper pit in the surface.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Jamee

Post by Jamee » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:02 am

Cheers guys, i'll buy this one as 15quid is nothing, so if it works, great. What i dont understand is why have the 6 changer in the glovebox and still have a cd slot on the front just above the satnav slot, waste of space really. I take it i cant get the TV tuner thing for the car then, be handy for the kids.

Only cripe i have with the complete system is no bluetooth phone for music etc, seems daft BMW didnt add it in on a car of this level.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:30 am

CD-changer was a cost option and for company car buyers not always wanted as it affected their tax loading.

TV was also an expensive (£800) cost option. You may be able to add it if you can get the hardware - receiver, loom link into the entertainment system, antennas and antenna diversity system. It won’t be cheap. May be available as a retrofit if you check Realoem and see who else offers it at more sensible money than BMW will want. Unless coded out, it will lock out the picture once you are in gear.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

EmilyK78

Post by EmilyK78 » Wed May 22, 2019 10:53 pm

Just wondered if it worked Jamee?