Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

X5 e70 Headlight Auto Level

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
PierreNel1982

X5 e70 Headlight Auto Level

Post by PierreNel1982 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:31 pm

Hi All.
When I 1st got my X5 3 years back I noticed the headlights sweep up and down on startup when it was dark and easy to see. I had 1 bulb fail and I replaced both main bulbs with Philips Blue bulbs. Since then I have noticed the sweep movement doesnt happen anymore, or maybe its less now.But not sure to be honest.

Did I accidentally unplug/knock something when changing the bulbs? They were a bugger to get in and was banging around a bit to get the bulb in. Are there connectors outside of the main housing to look out for?

Thanks

PierreNel1982

Re: X5 e70 Headlight Auto Level

Post by PierreNel1982 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:19 pm

I found the white screws that adjust the lateral and vertical. I have turned both vertical on left and right a fair amount and noticed no movement in the beam. Must the engine be on?

Thanks

Glen

Post by Glen » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:03 pm

Mine does the movement just putting the ignition on hope this helps

PierreNel1982

Post by PierreNel1982 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:27 pm

im really stumped here. I have the halogen lights, with the manual adjuster next to the light switch. I have been turning the white screws on the headlamps themselves but nothing seems to happen. I changed the bulbs on the dipped and main beams a while back. Have I knocked something off while doing this? Its a tight fit in there and trying to see if anything else is loose is just about impossible.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:19 am

There is a level sensor on the front suspension ,I don't know if this sets the headlight beam height as well maybe check it's not broken as its unlikely you have broken something in both headlamps.
Mine sweeps up and down on start like yours did so something isn't right. I have adaptive Xenons but it shouldn't make a difference they are just finding the home position.

PierreNel1982

Post by PierreNel1982 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:13 pm

Thanks will have a look. I thought the front axle sensor was for Xenons equipped car only as xenons are so bright they have to adjust as the car as it travels to avoid blinding oncoming cars. I will have a look on the nearside front wheel which has the brake wear sensor and another cable I remember. Could have been the brake line itself.

This is really odd though.
I do remember the light sweeping up and down when I got it ( was pretty cool). I noticed later on it had stopped, when exactly I cant remember but no errors or warnings from the car I didnt really take note. It passed MOT yesterday and they warned me of the headlights being on the low side and not being able to adjust them. So now im trying to sort it out. I also thought the lights appeared low vs other cars but thought it was due to them being halogen only and rubbish vs the Xenons.

There seems to be little content online for Halogen lights on this topic which indicates this type of issue isnt common. Xenon there is a lot but a lot doesnt apply to me car. Will look for the sensor. Looking on Realoem and youtube for examples.

Thanks everyone so far for your help.

PierreNel1982

Post by PierreNel1982 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:45 pm

I have just realised something. I replaced the right rear air suspension bag a long while back. Dropped the suspension to remove the bag. I have found online the sensor on the rear can invert, go past its max point. the car might think it permanently maxed out on load, and ignore my inputs on the adjuster!! My car has self leveling suspension.

Hope im onto something

PierreNel1982

Post by PierreNel1982 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:32 am

Just checked the rear and both sensors are facing the correct direction. Front suspension cant find any sensors, think that is for Xenon models only.
back to square 1 :-(

Anyone with other ideas?

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:46 am

I have the front sensor but car came with no xenon lights and mine go up and down when turned on.
The sensor is on the nearside suspension well i am 90% it is fastened to the chassis and then a plastic arm to the strut ????.(could well be wrong).

PierreNel1982

Post by PierreNel1982 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:10 pm

Back again. I had a look and couldnt find any sensor on the front suspension. Could you send a pic of what you have?
Looked both sides, found cables for the ABS and brake wear sensor. Nothing else, couldnt have fallen off.
I must be blind, rear ones are easy as pie to see

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:14 pm

This video might help but it's not the best but all i can do at the moment sorry.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcvZkichmuw

PierreNel1982

Post by PierreNel1982 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:29 pm

Thanks Alan. Video is for a E53, I will poke around in a bit now again to see if I can find anything.

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:51 pm

Have you had any suspension arms/bushes changed. I know mine is an e53 but was completely missing with the wiring plug tucked up out of the way. Previous owner had the bushes renewed and they must have thrown all the bits away. Got replacement bits from scrappy, fitted them and everything worked ..

PierreNel1982

Post by PierreNel1982 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:44 pm

The only suspension related work was me changing the rear right airbag close on 3 years ago. The two rear axle sensors are aligned correctly from what i think, pointing outwards at the pivot point. If it was wrong, my rearend would be all wrong in height too anyway? I just cant find the front sensor, I will take the front left wheel off this next weekend and have a good look for it. Anyone got an e70 with Halogen lights and manual height adjustment switch and 7 seats? If you can find the front axle sensor and send me a pic I will be most appreciative.

This is the only niggle I have left now.....
Fixed so many things on

PierreNel1982

Post by PierreNel1982 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:48 pm

Any fuses I can check? I the adjusting system seperate from the headlight bulbs