Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

X5 e70 Headlight Auto Level

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: X5 e70 Headlight Auto Level

Post by Leslie » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:04 pm

The e70 fuse card with pics on it will tucked in behind the rear fusebox on right hand side in the boot behind the lift out trim panel.

PierreNel1982

Post by PierreNel1982 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:59 pm

Looked and didnt find any blown fuses. Fuse diagram didnt appear to indicate anything specifically for the adjusting system so went through everything I hope.

Can anyone hear the motors adjusting when using the control wheel on the dash switch?

Been trying that with bonnet open but other items in engine bay make a lot of noise even with ignition just on so I cant tell. Might ask the wife to give it a whirl and I will listen to see if the system is trying to work on the headlight unit itself.

Hope it doesnt end up with pulling the units out to check

PierreNel1982

Post by PierreNel1982 » Thu May 23, 2019 3:52 pm

I tried the manual adjustment screws on the actual headlights and nothing appears to move. Have the internals been damaged?

PierreNel1982

Post by PierreNel1982 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:26 pm

Hi.

I finally had someone look at the headlights. All the power cables for bulbs and leveling motors are on their way out or out. Level motors all already gone, apparently old age and heat. Replacement bulbs are not an issue and ok. Which is surprising, never heard of this before.

So I need to replace the headlights. Im going to look for someone breaking an X5 e70 from the same year range 07-10 and use those. My 1 question is can or cant I swap my halogen units for Xenon units? Or is it not just plug and play as I was hoping and I should stick to halogen units?

Thanks in advance

Horizon
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Horizon » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:17 pm

Definitely not plug and play, remember someone on here buying a set of Xenon headlights only to spend weeks trying to figure out how to wire them into a halogen spec car.
You could do a HIDS conversion, and LED side markers, but do this before you fit the headlights as getting at certain bulbs once in is a mare on the halogen headlights, you have to remove the wheel liner.
HIDS are as good as Xenons if you go to 60w as I did on my E53

PierreNel1982

Post by PierreNel1982 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:52 am

Is there a certain HID Kit Manufacturer you recommend? Also are they legal? These kits
My car has rear self leveling suspension.
What is the bulb type for the angel eyes, heard its a dog to get at and no one seem to know the type.
Right now its a warm yellow glow, but want the whiter look.