Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Finally updated screen

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
snrbrtsn

Finally updated screen

Post by snrbrtsn » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:51 am

I’d be putting off updating the screen since purchase, though now completed I’m left thinking why I never done this sooner
Avin 8.1 installed now on their 3rd incarnation, full touch screen Android system
EFD98887-AFF1-44D6-8403-EFCB5249087F.jpeg
EFD98887-AFF1-44D6-8403-EFCB5249087F.jpeg (273.62 KiB) Viewed 2850 times
Opening the box and install was, relatively easy though multiple unnecessary wires caused a lot of confusion
Whilst the screen is Android and car play compatible, there’s multiple horror stories of dismay in the Android offering poor sound quality as it’s feed through the Aux cable. A risk I didn’t want to explore as I can retain the OEM side and Bluetooth stream or use USB wire and play from phone through the Individual sound system for seemless Audio, as such I haven’t explored much of the Android side (yet)

The Avin screen does offer updated looks and really lifts the dash
4D70D9C0-C097-492E-A1A0-2D236AAC688C.jpeg
4D70D9C0-C097-492E-A1A0-2D236AAC688C.jpeg (283.91 KiB) Viewed 2850 times
The screen also offers the benefit of mirror link, where you can personal hotspot your phone and display the phones screen, this gives the benefit to a wealth of free online navigation apps
Whilst I purchased screen c/w Igo offline Europe maps & gps splitter at present I’m unable to get working, at present the Android side is not receiving GPS signal, whether it’s a box unticked or a damaged / incorrectly seated I’ve no idea, though something I’ll explore later, however I think I may have the wrong maps supplied....
I also purchased and never installed the GPS antenna, as it looks like it sits on the dash, which I don’t want..
I’ll most likely leave as is and utilise the mirror link and iPhone map apps
3E8FC46B-5364-4D3A-9C13-37FD98218F3F.jpeg
3E8FC46B-5364-4D3A-9C13-37FD98218F3F.jpeg (296.89 KiB) Viewed 2850 times
With the Personal hotspot, you can display and mirror so e mail access either online from screen or from online phone source, as the screen is touch sensitive it’s relatively easy to navigate
2620DA98-6ED5-4F00-8024-062C514FF5F5.jpeg
2620DA98-6ED5-4F00-8024-062C514FF5F5.jpeg (311.49 KiB) Viewed 2850 times
I’ve still got loads to explore on the Android side, my primary reason for purchase was to update & refresh the dash purely cosmetic as it still offers full OE functions, though with the added merits and it certainly delivered on my remit!
Longevity and reliability still to be tested so time shall tell on its true value!
Appreciate it’s not a new update, however very worthwhile in my opinion.
Attachments
3EFF072A-04AE-4B7E-8B22-103D9728D38E.jpeg
3EFF072A-04AE-4B7E-8B22-103D9728D38E.jpeg (311.49 KiB) Viewed 2851 times

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Finally updated screen

Post by sapphireblack » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:05 am

Looks good :thumbsup: its something thats been tempting me for a while but some incompatiblity stories have put me off.

Not sure how it all works tbh, but i really like my cars DSP audio and would not want it compromised, regardless of any other benefits. Your long term review will be interesting to monitor.

Sport160

Post by Sport160 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:27 pm

Wow didn't even know this was an option, might have to look into it myself!

snrbrtsn

Post by snrbrtsn » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:02 am

I’m more than sure if the screen was bought as a purely an android update it would disappoint

My desire was mostly cosmetic update and I believe it’s delivered, Moreso as full OE system function is retained, including the sound setting which stills comes from the Mulf unit, settings on shortcut keys still functional, including my shortcut surround & equalised setting

All OE settings are still functioning including steering wheel controls, though if you switch to Android I believe some of these disappear.

Day / night mode, one of the complaints still works per OEM, though believe not so if on Android, , with using mirror link, the phone app adjusts automatically or is easily adjusted through the phone menu,

Reverse camera, top view and front view, still work, however the display is a lot bigger and much clearer, dynamic parking lines remains

The Android side dims circa 30% when the lights are switched on, though still too bright for night time driving, I’m sure there’s a menu to adjust and dim down further, however I’ve yet to look.

Keeping the unit on the OE side, I have full Bluetooth media, with album art, this works with USB plugged into armrest socket also, so hidden whilst charging,
The only limitation being using mirror link and laying phone in charger, rotates the screen, at best the mirror link displays on 2/3 screen, rotate the phone and changes between landscape and portrait views, further reducing screen size!

Overall, I’m pleased!

Rock007

Post by Rock007 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:11 pm

Hi mate.

How's your sound quality from the android unit.
I purchased one few weeks ago but i find the sound so crap.
I've tried to adjust sound on both android and oem but just can't get a decent adjustment.
And on your unit did it come with a ground wire connection....

snrbrtsn

Post by snrbrtsn » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:39 pm

Re sound
I’ve not played anything through the android as I’ve heard it’s pretty poor as it comes through the Aux port
I’m using sound on OE system only and no complaints, whether on radio, DAB, Bluetooth or wired through USB
I’ve not tried playing from OE USB port or the AViN USBs from stick

Currently I’m not receiving Android GPS, it’s too cold to muddle through..

Looking at the multiple YouTube pages, I noted I recieved a different wiring harness, whilst no ground lead, there was a 1” square black box, inside was a fuse PCB & capacitor, that may be sound suppression or simply and inline fuse, I’ve no idea.... I also never connected the centre speaker as the harness was supplied with the wires connected to can1 & can2 leads, pretty much flipped a coin as to whether to connect, though thankfully all works & OE sat nav voice is active.

From my reading, the sound is dependent on the sound system the car has,
Basic system, all report it’s bad and require Aux input
Logic 7, mixed reports, depending on whether or not car is fitted with combox, (combox - No Aux req’d )
Individual sound, no bad reports (nor requirements to run the Aux lead) & mines everybit as good as it was!

My only complaint is on the Igo maps...

moggyboy

Post by moggyboy » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:14 am

're the GPS, did you order the GPS two way cable?
This splits the GPS input between the original head unit and the android unit and therefore no need for the supplied dash cable.
Also ref the igo Sat nav, go into file manager and delete it and then download and prioritize your preferred choice of Google maps or waze or whatever.
I'm still finding new tricks but slow learning is me being a luddite.

Rock007

Post by Rock007 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:43 am

Regarding ground wire.

On my one i can hear the alternator noise and doing a bit of research i came to the understanding that i need to have a good ground connection to get rid of the noise im getting through the speakers.

But my android screen did not come with any ground wire.

So im a bit confused with this screen.

snrbrtsn

Post by snrbrtsn » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:06 am

moggyboy wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:14 am 're the GPS, did you order the GPS two way cable?
This splits the GPS input between the original head unit and the android unit and therefore no need for the supplied dash cable.
Also ref the igo Sat nav, go into file manager and delete it and then download and prioritize your preferred choice of Google maps or waze or whatever.
I'm still finding new tricks but slow learning is me being a luddite.

I think, that’s where my problem “may” lie
I did use the Avin GPS splitter, connecting the single branch to the cars connector and the yee branch to MUlf and screen. I’m thinking I may have, allbeit unlikely, damaged the cable after multiple attempts to get the mulf unit back in.
I’m now weighted up the benefit of stripping down
The easy option would be to remove screen and plug in Avin antenna to check GPS connectivity
I can’t help think there is a box ticked/unticked to assign the OE antenna, so I’ll explore the setting screen first.

Good tip on IGo maps, though I guess I have to resolve the point above first
Thanks

snrbrtsn

Post by snrbrtsn » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:19 am

Rock007 wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:43 am Regarding ground wire.

On my one i can hear the alternator noise and doing a bit of research i came to the understanding that i need to have a good ground connection to get rid of the noise im getting through the speakers.

But my android screen did not come with any ground wire.

So im a bit confused with this screen.
How odd!
Does your harness from MUlf to screen have the big black box? Perhaps that’s the suppressor
The picture below is similar to my harness, with the black box, however I had a separate loom from screen connector that allowed the box to be tucked behind the MUlf unit (it caused much frustration trying to run through dash..)
C41A7247-CEBD-4E46-A624-279F985A4D25.jpeg
C41A7247-CEBD-4E46-A624-279F985A4D25.jpeg (226.51 KiB) Viewed 2749 times
I’m thinking, there’s no sound from the screen, it’s all processed in the MUlf unit and sent to amplifier in the back
As such I don think the screen would need an additional earth

The X5 is notorious for earth faults, both the chassis to engine block & battery lead is known issues...
The engine strap is braided wire, prone to corrosion
The battery lead has the intelligent Battery sensor

As a quick means of checking, I’d get a battery jump lead, connect one side to the negative pole on the strut tower and the other on the engine block, see if the noise disappears. Then work back to the battery, connecting from battery negative to engine block

Rock007

Post by Rock007 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:38 am

I have base audio.
Which is the lowest audio package you could get on bmw and my car has no amp.
Sound comes from head unit.

snrbrtsn

Post by snrbrtsn » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:58 am

Rock007 wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:38 am I have base audio.
Which is the lowest audio package you could get on bmw and my car has no amp.
Sound comes from head unit.
I’m certainly not an audio wizard, couldn’t be further from one.
However it does seem odd

How is your sound on the OE screen/Setting

I assume you refer to Aux connection,
There’s a long threads on similar issues on bimmerfest & xbimmers where people played with volume and equaliser settings, I don’t have my Aux lead connected as I’ve read about the issues
Perhaps try pulling the Aux lead and check the OE sound to determine if it is the screen / Aux lead causing the issue,
I’ve read people upgrading the leads as many have said their poor quality,
Unfortunately, my knowledge is based on my reading, I’ll dig out the thread