Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

jumping out of gear while driving

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
Alchemist

jumping out of gear while driving

Post by Alchemist » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:57 am

Hi all, wonder if I could pick your brains on the following, which has happened twice in the last week of driving..

I'm pootling along in my E70 (3.0D auto) at around 30mph (not pushing it, so no stress on the engine) and the car loses power. On the first occasion I thought it had stalled, but it happened again this morning and it seems that it's jumping out of gear (as the rev counter is still working but revving freely). It's still saying its in D. On the first occasion I stopped the engine, attempted to re-start and it cranked but wouldn't start. Removing the key and restarting got it going straight away. The same thing just happening, so I'm wondering if it's jumping out of gear, but thinking it's in D and not starting, but removing the key is re-setting it to 'park', allowing it to start.

Just wondered if anyone has had similar issues? If it sounds like it is jumping out of gear and if this is a known issue. The car was fully warmed up when this happened, having just covered 50 miles cruising. The engine's done 96k, it's also just had a new front offside drive shaft fitted.

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: jumping out of gear while driving

Post by Alan Gunn » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:34 am

Could be low oil level in the auto box.
A fault code scan would be the first thing to do.

Jayx5

Post by Jayx5 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:26 am

My x5 did this and BMW said (under warranty) it was low on gearbox fluid and topped it up and it never happened again.
I've since changed the gearbox oil to be safe and it's a lot smoother.

Alchemist

Post by Alchemist » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:27 am

Thanks Alan, I'm presuming the box doesn't have a dipstick. I've got Carly so will do a scan

Alchemist

Post by Alchemist » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:26 pm

Have just ran Carly, which is giving 3 fault codes that could be linked:

Under transmission: Message monitoring gateway 000CF29
Gear switch: Hall sensors simple errors 00A834
Instrument Cluster: 00A559 (KL30g f Cutoff) - this could be from where I've had to switch the ignition off/on to get it started?

Also, every now and again I get in the car and get a fault saying P could not be engaged and to contact my dealer, although the car is in P and it has engaged. This goes away when i start the car up and start driving

Alchemist

Post by Alchemist » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:03 am

Hi all,

Thought I'd give an update on this thread in case someone has similar issues and stumbles across it. So the problem seems to now be FIXED and seems to have either been caused by a faulty battery or injector (both were fixed at the same time, so it's difficult to know which).

The battery was reading 12v with the engine not started and 15v when running, but my local indy BMW garage said it was throwing all kinds of errors (and explains the clock resetting every 2 days). So far so good. From reading around it seems a number of issues can cause this problem, but for me it was low power / maybe a temporary drop in voltage.

mr angry

Post by mr angry » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:40 am

Thanks for posting the update, as all too often people forget making it difficult for people searching the forum in the future :D

marti

Post by marti » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:17 am

Cheers for the update....I would say it was the battery.