Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Audio confusion

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
mr angry

Audio confusion

Post by mr angry » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:44 am

I have an x5 40d and to be honest as with others, I find the audio system to be lacking somewhat. Before I take the leap and purchase some upgrades I am trying to establish what I have in the car. Looking at the build spec and at the single rear door speakers and empty A post tweeter housings, I think it is a base system with the DAB radio and pro nav. However, did the LCI base system change over the previous version, as some suggest this on forums? Is there an amp? If so where would it be?

Whilst I am looking to make an improvement is the system, I dont want to be spending fortunes and running miles of cables etc as I did in the E53. I am initially thinking of upgrading the speakers and fitting some sound deadening and maybe later changing the under seat subs and amplifying them.

I also read conflicting advice regarding the maximum door speaker size....many say 4 inch, which is what they come with and others mention a range of other sizes. It seems to be a minefield.

DavetheBlade

Re: Audio confusion

Post by DavetheBlade » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:50 am

I think you have the same set up as me, if so there isn't a separate amp, it's all taken care of in the head unit.

I changed all the speakers for a set made by O.E. Audio which added tweeters in the door sales plus cross overs in the front doors. A pair of 2 way 4" in the front doors replaced one way speakers and the same but lower powered speakers in the rear doors replaced one way 4" again. The under floor subs were replaced with the recommended 8" version. All easy to fit except original sub housing needed modifing to accept new speakers.

Major improvement in sound quality, mainly I think from the tweeters and 2 way front door speakers, the underseat subs seem more of a mid range speaker than just bass and I think the rears I could have left standard or replaced with just a one way speaker as they don't do much.

I think the only way to exploit the underseat speakers properly is by amplifying them and using some form of line out correction as the base signal is pre processed and clipped by the head unit and needs cleaning up.

But from my findings you'll get the most noticeable improvement from just tweeters and better front door speakers but without modification 4" will have to do. Be interesting to hear what route you take and your results.

mr angry

Re: Audio confusion

Post by mr angry » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:09 am

Thanks for the detailed response I will keep you updated.