Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Retrofit Powered Tailgate?

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
faulknr

Retrofit Powered Tailgate?

Post by faulknr » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:29 pm

Hi, about to take the plunge on a 2012 40d M Sport.

After hunting around for a while I've found an excellent example, fitted with virtually every option known to man - apart from (oddly) the powered tailgate. This is more of an issue for my wife than me, but does anyone have any help/advice on the possibility of retrofitting this option, or the existence of aftermarket versions?

Many thanks.

mr angry

Re: Retrofit Powered Tailgate?

Post by mr angry » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:04 pm

I would imagine you would need to purchase the two powered lifting rams, wiring harness, tailgate button, power lock actuator and control module. I think it may also need coded. Looking on ebay I see a number of components, but they are expensive.

Oddly I have the powered tailgate on mine but would much rather have had a towbar, upgraded hifi or comfort seats as see the tailgate as a bit of a gimmick to be honest. I am looking to add a towbar at the moment and there are loads on ebay but without the harness or control module :headbang:

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:20 pm

Can’t you buy just the OEM harness of P F JONES. Google will find them

mr angry

Post by mr angry » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:34 pm

Thats great thanks. Its not cheap at £129 but at least I can now buy whats required.

faulknr

Post by faulknr » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:59 pm

As I say, not so much an issue for me but our previous couple of cars have had powered tailgates as standard and they are more than a gimmick when it comes to kids/shopping/etc.

It's annoying as this particular car is spot-on in every other way. I suspected it would be tricky and/or expensive.

There appear to be aftermarket kits for other BMW models (X3 for example), but not the E70?