Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

wheel arch rivets

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
mr angry

wheel arch rivets

Post by mr angry » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:02 am

I am going to fit towbar and see that I will need to replace the plastic rivets securing the rear wheel arches. Does anyone know what diameter these are as I want to have everything ready before I start and see there are many sizes on ebay. Also has anyone used any of the other plastic fixings in place of the rivets....the ones with a plastic screw in the centre the splay the tangs?

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: wheel arch rivets

Post by X5Sport » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:31 pm

Have you had a look at Realoem? The parts list often includes sizes.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:53 pm

Is it just because you want to put new in rather than reuse the old ones. I tend to just push the center plastic piece through and then recover the bits when all is off?

hennabm

Post by hennabm » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:52 pm

If they are anything like the E53 then they are true rivets but made of plastic.

I had to remove some from my wheel arch to fit some mudflaps. At first I thought they were the normal type clips where the middle pushes through.

Nope. I found they are true rivets. The dealer had plenty in stock and even fitted them for me as there is a special tool to fit them. Apparently a normal rivet gun would not work. That's according to the dealer.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:15 pm

I had the rear arches off for painting bought the cheap rivets of ebay , absolute scrap broke off long before they held as the plastic is just not right and not one held tight even with the right tool and you do need the plastic rivet gun to fit them as the diameter is much bigger than a metal rivet .
I bought a sealey kit with rivets and riveter of ebay for about 25 quid ,I think I used 6.3mm ones but they were a tad on the tight side on 2 of the holes so original might be 6mm. Id be tempted to buy of bmw next time just the hassle as my local dealer is 35 mile away.
You don't have to take the whole arch of for a towbar though just the lower 2 I think and one of these is a push though type as there is a bolt you need to access behind each arch.
I don't see any reason why you couldn't use the push through pin type instead much easier to fit .

This is the sealey tool:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PLASTIC-RIVE ... SwL8xcd3no