Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Steering problem.

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
paulrog

Steering problem.

Post by paulrog » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:50 pm

Hi, I have a 2010 LCI 4.0 diesel SE on 90,000 miles.

I have a weird issue with the steering, when its on full lock or quite close to it, the front wheels tend to shudder and it feels like one of the wheels isn't pointing exactly where it should be.

The car doesn't have any other problems and drives perfect.

I had a quick look underneath but can't see anything obvious.

What do you think it could be??

Thanks

mr angry

Re: Steering problem.

Post by mr angry » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:09 pm

This could be an issue with the transfer box. Have a search through the forum as their are many who have had similar issues.

Have a scan of the vehicle done to check for any stored fault codes and take it from there.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:34 pm

Likely to be either front diff or transfer box. Unfortunately it is most often caused by incorrect tyres or tread depths.

These cars are very sensitive to the tyres that are fitted, especially if they are either non approved - marked with a ‘*’ on the sidewall - or have a difference in tread depth between wheels or axles of more than about 1.5mm. This results in the wheels spinning a slightly different rates and the transmission ‘winds-up’.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

paulrog

Post by paulrog » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:10 pm

It can't be the tyres as they are proper Bridgestone runflats on the same tread depth, but i've noticed a small oil leak underneath, could that be the transfer box oil leaking out.

So maybe if i get BMW or a garage to do a transfer box oil change that could fix it?

Thanks

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:04 pm

Worth a try. We have had just one member (so far) on here have a failed from diff with correct tyres fitted. BMW paid up under the extended warranty. It could be low oil in the transfer box, or even that it does just need a change. Worth getting a code read done though as that might warn if the oil issue. It’s a lot simpler and cheaper than replacing the units at least :)
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.